BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup everyone,

Trying to figure out which coils to get I'm stuck between a few. What im after is a tolerable ride (softer than what it is now) and better handling.

http://www.modbargains.com/bc-racing-er-series-coilovers-bmw-e92-3-series.htm
BC Racing ER
Looks awesome, external reservoir on it too.

http://www.modbargains.com/bilstein-pss10-coilovers-bmw-e90-e92.htm
Bilstein PSS10

http://www.modbargains.com/CKS-Suspension-BMW-Coilovers-E90-E92-E93.htm
CKS

http://www.modbargains.com/rsr-sport-i-coilover-bmw-335i.htm
RSR Sport i

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Trying to figure out which coils to get I'm stuck between a few. What im after is a tolerable ride (softer than what it is now) and better handling.
Shocks & springs won't deliver excellent handling with reasonable ride quality. Simply, not possible with stock E9x drivetrain & suspension geometry.

But huge gains can be had. Here are big steps up:

• Camber plates; -2.5° or more camber all around
  • M3 rear subframe bushings
  • Limited Slip Differential

Many other improvements available involving Delrin instead of rubber bushings, M3 suspension arms for improved stiffness and massaged geometry, linear springs, higher rate springs; better shocks.

Um....how much did you want to spend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're saying theres no full coilover setup that offers a happy medium?

Interesting I might try out those mods your suggesting.
My budget is about $2000 for the suspension.

btw, thanks for a super quick reply.. that's friggin awesome! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The LSD has its own budget which will come down the road. I'm talking just suspension at the moment. Why are you suggesting shocks n springs rather than a coil over?

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,577 Posts
They are just a more reasonable cost that allow for money to be spent on other various suspension upgrades mentioned by Calwaterboy at the end of his post.

·
Not Inherently Unreliable
466 Posts
I'd work on the handling aspect and deal with any ride complaints later. (I'm assuming you've switched out the run-flats already if you're particularly sensitive to ride quality.) I've already put in the LSD and the M3 rear subframe bushings (also upgraded front mount diff bushings). That to me is the baseline. If I further address suspension/handling issues, it will be adding M3 front and rear upper control arms (~$1K total if you go with the TRW, which is pretty much equivalent to the ~$1500 OEM M3), then front and rear sway bars ($700 total for the M3 ones), and then a strut brace (~$450 for the M3). I suppose if I were leaving the LSD for later and had budgeted $2K for parts only, I'd get the rear subframe bushings (~$250), control arms, and sway bars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You don't need coil overs for good handling. I run the stock sport springs, Bilstein B6's, M3 control arms front and rear, Dinan camber plates, and heavy duty trailing arms. I track the car, it pulls over 1.25G's cornering, and I drive it to track in comfort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Coil overs

I recently had KW V-3 coil overs installed on my 335i Xdrive. I am running Michelin PSS's. I basically wanted to lower the car but the handling and ride improved immensely and they are adjustable. Very happy with them.

·
4th BMW
490 Posts
Suspension mods are very subjective

Depends on what one wants to do with what. Take my old E32 735i. 200 HP I did not want a harsh ride. So, BMW M-tech provided front springs that were a tiny bit lower..not a higher spring rate. Also, added M-tech. front and read improved sway bars. Just kept the peddle to the medal and the car went where I pointed it. I've found it is better to 'over shock' than over spring a suspension. *** I'm looking in on the 335's here as I am looking at a 2011 335i with 129K mi. and AT (not DCP). Trade in sitting at a BMW dealer. Drives fine. One owner serviced at BMW, however, as usual, BMW does not detail what exactly was don on services. Can be had low teens...but thought the sequential manual shifts were a tad slow and no evidence of servicing tranny > 100k mi. or replacing anything nose to tail other than timing belt and pulleys (squeaker). Looking for something to tune (not over the top) at the right price. I'd rather have an AT but don't know that their torque/ power limits are. Anyone know??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Depends on what one wants to do with what. Take my old E32 735i. 200 HP I did not want a harsh ride. So, BMW M-tech provided front springs that were a tiny bit lower..not a higher spring rate. Also, added M-tech. front and read improved sway bars. Just kept the peddle to the medal and the car went where I pointed it. I've found it is better to 'over shock' than over spring a suspension. *** I'm looking in on the 335's here as I am looking at a 2011 335i with 129K mi. and AT (not DCP). Trade in sitting at a BMW dealer. Drives fine. One owner serviced at BMW, however, as usual, BMW does not detail what exactly was don on services. Can be had low teens...but thought the sequential manual shifts were a tad slow and no evidence of servicing tranny > 100k mi. or replacing anything nose to tail other than timing belt and pulleys (squeaker). Looking for something to tune (not over the top) at the right price. I'd rather have an AT but don't know that their torque/ power limits are. Anyone know??
129k on a '11 is kinda high, I'm pretty sure youban find a better one for lower miles even if it's an older you. Have you tried looking at privately sold ones?

Sent with my carrier pigeon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts