BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend just purchased a used 2008 335iX Coupe. I drove it this morning and the steering feels like a lead weight... At a stop it took both of my hands to turn and at speeds over 10MPH it works, but still takes a great deal of effort. Is this normal for this vehicle or should we look at taking a trip to the service department?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
That's pretty normal for a BMW. The newer ones (like the X3, 5er) have lighter electric steering.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My steering does not feel heavy like that. You may want to get that checked out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My girlfriend just purchased a used 2008 335iX Coupe. I drove it this morning and the steering feels like a lead weight... At a stop it took both of my hands to turn and at speeds over 10MPH it works, but still takes a great deal of effort. Is this normal for this vehicle or should we look at taking a trip to the service department?
Do you work out? I'd consider it....

Kidding... :) sounds likely that your power steering is out if you cannot budge the wheel with anything less than two hands at a stop. I'm surprised that no error codes would come on, however. Could also be active steering, but I don't know much about it.

BMW's typically have "heavy" steering, but it shouldn't REQUIRE two hands.

Edit: Then again, if your power steering was out, you'd probably need 2 hands to turn it at 10 MPH. If I were you, I'd go to the gym before the dealership...

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did a test drive of a 2011 335i xDrive Coupe and the steering at low speeds was a lot heavier than my 2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon. It was definitely noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.