BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(yes, this is post #1... I joined just to share this :) )

...Torque better than my 98 C43 AMG I updated w/a AMG 5.4L E55 engine (but ok, not near the higher RPM producing power, tho I'm older now and mainly drive the JCW now so Ok with that as thrust of the 335d is comparable to that if not to the C43/55 @ WOT)...

...fuel economy as good or better than my 09 JCW with about the same straightline performance (where the 335d won't have that damn torque/bump steer), and from what I saw from the MotorWeek TV review's lane change maneuver where the driver had to apply 0 degrees of compensation when straightening the car out at the end of each maneuver, which impressed the heck out of me when I learned just how heavy the 335d is, pretty dang impressive handling...

... foul weather safety & fouler weather pass-ability, much much better than my '97 Jeep TJ (which due to the shortness of wheelbase are pretty bad and dangerous in the snow even with Nokian Hakkapeliitta) which I can make use of not only in snow, but the road to my home that regularly gets washed out by the LI Sound waves smashing the sea-wall during Nor-Easters ...

...space for wife + 3 dogs + mtb bikes + and luggage safely inside the cabin, (instead of some on racks above or in-back of the car) which bests what I presently have of a 4-door sedan, 2-seat convertable, R56 Mini, and Jeep TJ which is even smaller than the Mini storage-wise...

The only box the 335xd wagon doesn't check is the open roof touring of my '88 560SL. The wife has been riding me hard to get rid of from one to three cars... I work from home now so hardly ever drive, and $5K of insurance per year for a total of 5000 miles across all four cars is a ridiculous waste of money. But after putting $25K into the C43 in 5.4L engine, MbenzNL euro interior upgrages, and sick custom full Speedybenz suspension (w/Penske 8100 dampers + custom adjustable spring perches, plus all adjustable links everywhere, etc ), I won't sell that for just anything. JCW is the only "smart" car I have. And the Jeep TJ actually serves a purpose.

But I'd be willing to get rid of all 3 of them for a 335d x-drive wagon! And I can honestly say it's the only car I've found I'd be willing to replace all those cars for. So BMW USA, after reading this can you please make my desire come true? Thanx in advance... <lol>

Seriously, let's see that car here in the US please!!!
:angel:

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I would love to see the diesel wagon in the states. In fact, I'd be driving one right now if it was available.

However, the diesel E90 has not been selling well at all, so BMW does not have much motivation to bring it over in other body styles. Also, BMW is probably going to be more anxious to market the new hatchback body as well as the X1 and X3. So, I will sadly not be surprised if they stop bringing in the sportwagon all together.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really, not selling well? I had seen mention of some pretty big rebates, so I guess that's why? Out of either 4wd or wagon I'd prefer the wagon. But I can't say I could be talked into buying the 335d w/o either one of the two today however, just to take advantage of any huge rebate (if they are even still going).

but, I ain't buy'n no stink'n SUV :p :D Another few 100's of lbs heft to hoist around.

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
+1

I would have bought a wagon instead of my 335d sedan if 330d or 335d was available in wagon format in the US. I set out to trade the golf for a 3/A4 size wagon, but then got the "D bug" after test driving the 335d and in the end decided to try my first-ever 4 door. I prefer an odd number of doors.
BTW, I haven't driven one, but I suspect I would have preferred 330d with 6MT over 335d with AT. (as you know, 6MT is not available on the 335d even in europe)

I'm pretty sure my wife would quickly want to trade her MDX for a 3 series D wagon with 6MT. We no longer need to fit strollers and a 115 lbs dog together in the rear (MDX is now larger than we need). She decided to hold onto the MDX while waiting to see what BMW and Audi do with their USA wagons. Otherwise a jetta TDI wagon might be in our future; she does miss the golf.

As for x-drive...I'd have to try it. Might be a good addition. I think I read a claim that all new D's introduced into the north america market are supposed to include x-drive?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quite a few folks here would agree with you, but we've discussed this wagon thing many times and I think the opinion here is that BMW underemphasizes wagons in the US market for fear they would cut into sales of their SUVs and because the conventional wisdom, which they apparently believe, is that Americans don't like wagons.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
Really, not selling well? I had seen mention of some pretty big rebates, so I guess that's why? Out of either 4wd or wagon I'd prefer the wagon. But I can't say I could be talked into buying the 335d w/o either one of the two today however, just to take advantage of any huge rebate (if they are even still going).

but, I ain't buy'n no stink'n SUV :p :D Another few 100's of lbs heft to hoist around.
Totally agree with you. Give me a wagon. Hauls like an SUV but offers the handling and ride of a sports sedan.

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
(as you know, 6MT is not available on the 335d even in europe)
I do. You bring-up a good point however. As I curse that damn tranni adaptation of my decade old C43 that turns that tutonic euro muscle sedan into a sluggish sleepy luxury car if I don't pound on the go peddle all the time -- where I know torque converter & tranni advancements in the cars today play a large part in 265 hp cars matching 0-60 times of 300hp cars of a decade ago -- I still should make sure the auto-box in the 335d doesn't have the same aggravating behavior of taking all the fun out of driving if you aren't aggressive with motions of the go-peddle all the time.

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
...taking all the fun out of driving if you aren't aggressive with motions of the go-peddle all the time.
The 335d drives differently than a gas car that makes its power in the upper RPM range. When the AT does not downshift the 335d still makes a not-boring amount of power. And the paddles help give you more control over the AT.

I've only owned MT prior to the 335d. (not counting my wife's suv.) I've driven many cars with AT. This is the best AT experience I've had. It actually does not suck for street driving. Although I would still prefer a MT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
335d or 330dX - yes please!! I currently drive a 2007 328XiT and plan to do a European Delivery on a 2010 or 2011 wagon. I like the X Drive. I see that a 335dX is not offered in Europe but the 330dX is available but has a slightly reduced HP - no problem. Maybe a 3 series GT - if and when. However, the model must available in the country that the order was placed in.
I agree that BMW NA and Canada are missing an opportunity to sell wagons by not advertizing them. A number of people have looked at our wagon and have been surprised that it is a BMW, they had no idea that BMW made wagons. A quick look around here in Vancouver and you see a variety of hatches, small SUVs, and crossovers (what ever they are).

·
Registered
691 Posts
i highly doubt they'll bring an xdrive diesel wagon over here... if for nothing else, out of fear of cannibalism.

If they do bring another body style over, i'm willing to bet it'll be a coupe

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
Frankly I think we will be seeing more smaller diesels, not more 335 revisions. Reason being is that they are marketing the eco aspect, and people dont see mid 30s as that big of a MPG improvement.

People fail to realize the 335d is a performance eco car, not just an eco car. Mid 30s for a car that does 0-60 in the low 5 sec range and will throw you back in your seat like nobodies business is pretty darn impressive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hope you are right, but not holding my breath.

Frankly I think we will be seeing more smaller diesels, not more 335 revisions. Reason being is that they are marketing the eco aspect, and people dont see mid 30s as that big of a MPG improvement.

People fail to realize the 335d is a performance eco car, not just an eco car. Mid 30s for a car that does 0-60 in the low 5 sec range and will throw you back in your seat like nobodies business is pretty darn impressive.
I am really hoping for a wagon, or x1 with their 2.0d that can get 40mpg on average, that is what I want for our next family car, else I will buy another vw wagon..

There was talk about 4 cylinders coming over again, once the election was done, well here we are 1 year later :dunno: , I love my straight sixes, but frankly what excites me the most is 4 cylinder diesels that get 40-50mpg and last a long time..

I guess I might be still the minority here, with people craving 335s and such, but the tide might be turning..

·
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Quite a few folks here would agree with you, but we've discussed this wagon thing many times and I think the opinion here is that BMW underemphasizes wagons in the US market for fear they would cut into sales of their SUVs and because the conventional wisdom, which they apparently believe, is that Americans don't like wagons.
Tell me about it. Like bio-rythms, wagons are in a trough of the curve at this time. Take for example MB. After years of the lovely 500 and 350 E 4-matics, the fantastic E63 AMG, (the C-class never had any exciting wagons) there isn't a single wagon in the MBUSA line-up this year.

I definitely respect people wanting the 2.0L for added economy, being ok with giving-up some of the giddy-up & go to get that. But, I don't imagine I'll ever get over my addiction to g's, and will always want a vehicle with or at least near 10lb of car or lower per 1hp or power, and if I can't have that at least 10 lbs of car or lower per 1ft-lb of torque. It's that I want that, and I want greater than 30mpg, which is "good enough for me". And with the 335d I can have it. ;) Maybe in another 10 years near 8 seconds 0-60 but 40 or higher mpg will be "good enough for me". Perhaps never. But not just yet if ever.
:drive:

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
Wagons have never sold well in this country compared to other areas of the world. Look at just how many wagons are on the road in europe and you will see what I mean.

Sadly many companies really cut their lineup here because of that. About the only wagons I see regularly are the A4/A6.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Wagons are a niche market. I really, really like the touring and it's my favorite bodystyle of the 3er, and I really hope BMW keeps it. But let's be honest with ourselves: BMW NA is not interested in selling to niche markets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 328i wagon is a blast! What an errand queen also! You can fit a small state in the thing. Sadly, though, wagons don't sell well in the US and even though logic suggests that they should (oil is $78/bl. now if anyone is watching), I don't see it changing soon.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
No stick shift?

I wonder how long BMW will continue to import the 328iT since the 'vert outsells it.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Interesting.

Up here, there is no such animal (335xd Touring) for sale from BMW.

The biggest xDrive diesel that we have in Touring form is the 330xd Touring.

There is however, a 335d Touring.

Same story with the E61: 530xd or 535d.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Grentz and ZGator that BMW should bring their 320d and 520d here. These models emphasize the advantages of diesel over gasoline much better than a 335d. Plus, there has to be an MT option for the diesel engines, since customers who choose diesels are usually more educated and determined about what they want from their future vehicle vs people who simply walk into a dealership to buy "a BMW" without a set preference with regard to drive-type, transmission etc. ("I just want it to be silver" type of buyers :rofl:)
If I could buy a 520d with MT I would do it today (preferrably a wagon). In not than a 320dT with MT would do.
I hope that BMW will be forced to expand their diesel offerings here in the US, as the Japanese competitors will enter the diesel car market in the next few years. I believe Honda and Subaru are preparing to bring diesel-powered cars to the States very soon.

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Wagons have never sold well in this country compared to other areas of the world. Look at just how many wagons are on the road in europe and you will see what I mean.

Sadly many companies really cut their lineup here because of that. About the only wagons I see regularly are the A4/A6.
Good point - it's more than just a "conventional wisdom" - it's closer to the reality. The latest S4 is not being brought over as an Avant. Other manufacturers have tried too: MB brought over estate versions of the E55 and E63 and, for a different market segment, Subaru had the rally-inspired WRX/STi.

So it's not for lack of marketing or lack of halo cars that make all wagons cooler - what could be cooler than an 6MT-equipped V8, a ~500hp supercharged V8, or a ~300hp very moddable turbo 4?

Even the more utilitarian wagons are disappearing, e.g. the MB C-class, not to mention the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Aside from BMW, Audi, VW and obviously Subaru, does anyone else bring wagons to the states? I guess Volvo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.