BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is my first posting on here. I found the postings on this site to be extremely helpful when I purchased my 2008 E92 through European Delivery two years ago. That said, I'm hoping that I can get some insight from fellow BMW owners on whether I ended up with a lemon.

Let me first state that I was fully aware that German cars are known for their electronic "quirks" before I purchased this car. The Germans are known for their excellence in the mechanical aspects of their cars and not so much for all the electronics they add. The way the 3-series handled and its looks were what convinced me to take a chance and forgo another Japanese car. However, since I took possession of this car I have had nothing but problems... some that the dealership can't even identify.

Below is the list of problems I have had, to date, on my 2008 335xi coupe with 27,500 miles in it:

1. Faulty Brake Light Sensors
2. Incorrectly Installed Door Gasket
3. Extended Cranking at Push Button Start (yet to be identified and fixed by dealer)
4. Bent Fiber Optic Cables forcing Satellite Radio and Bluetooth to not always work
5. Faulty Bushing on Right Control Arm causing Loose and Noisy Steering (think of driving an '88 Caprice Classic)
6. Issue with the Knuckle at the end of the Steering Column causing a subtle clunky feeling when steering. (scheduled to be remediated at dealer next week)
7. Occasional Sputtering when car is at rest like it is about to stall (another issue the dealer hasn't been able to identify)

Has anybody else experienced these same types of problems with their cars? Has anybody had any experience dealing with BMW regarding a buyback or them extending the manufacturer's warrantee? I'm reaching the end of my rope with this car and would appreciate any suggestions or advice on how to deal with BMW.

Thank you!

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
There is a Pandora's box of answers to #3. Search for HPFP or Fuel pump.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,368 Posts
1. Faulty Brake Light Sensors
2. Incorrectly Installed Door Gasket
3. Extended Cranking at Push Button Start (yet to be identified and fixed by dealer)
4. Bent Fiber Optic Cables forcing Satellite Radio and Bluetooth to not always work
5. Faulty Bushing on Right Control Arm causing Loose and Noisy Steering (think of driving an '88 Caprice Classic)
6. Issue with the Knuckle at the end of the Steering Column causing a subtle clunky feeling when steering. (scheduled to be remediated at dealer next week)
7. Occasional Sputtering when car is at rest like it is about to stall (another issue the dealer hasn't been able to identify)
Well, #3 and #7 are the classic HPFP / injector problem flags. If you're dealer can't figure it out, that's frightening, considering how well known the problem is. Is there another dealer you can easily get warranty service from?

#1 and #2 look like a bad day on the line. My similar one was the low pressure fuel line being improperly connected, blowing off on the ride home from the dealer after ED redelivery. Bright side - they should not reoccur after fixing.

#5 and #6 appear linked, hopefully fixed by the dealer.

#4 is a new one for me.

Downside is your car is likely a bit long in the tooth for Lemon Law or similar actions. If you want to keep it, you may want to think about purchasing the extended warranty for your own piece of mind. Shop it across a bunch of dealers to get the best price.

FWIW,
George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts