• S4 with Rear Diff and all the goodies

Votes: 24 49.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Stay Thirsty
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am in a current dead heat between a 2012 S4 and a 2011 335XI (M Sport, performance edition). The 335xi is about 3k less.

Any advice as i assume there are a lot of folks comparing these two cars (or have compared them. I am a former GTI MK6 (apr tuned) owner and currently drive a G37x. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
I Know Nothing
658 Posts
I think there are already threads on this topic that might give you a few answers.

Never driven an AWD 335i but I have driven a new S4 quite extensively and it's a phenomenal car. I currently own an E92 335i and would have no problem buying an S4. I vote Audi but why don't you drive them both and decide for yourself?

·
Stay Thirsty
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
For at least another year, maybe two, this is a no brainer. S4.

172 Posts

·
Salz und Pfeffer
965 Posts
I'd compare other aspects of car ownership as well.
Keep in mind that an S4 will be more expensive to insure. Insurance on the 335 should be less than your current G37x, but S4 will most probably run you more for comparable coverage.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer

·
Stay Thirsty
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd compare other aspects of car ownership as well.
Keep in mind that an S4 will be more expensive to insure. Insurance on the 335 should be less than your current G37x, but S4 will most probably run you more for comparable coverage.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer
Yeah - S4 is $6 more per month than the G.

Check out this thread (i can here to get a BMW owner prespective: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5207600-Which-To-****BMW-335i-xDrive-versus-Audi-S4

170 S4 to 20 335

Is it the Xi that doesn't play well in the comparision?

·
Registered
14 Posts
HI dude, we have similar story.. i had a 2011 A4, (APR stage 2, ABT exhaust, Eurocode Cat, etc), it was fast! I sold my A4 last week. moved back to BMW. BMW is famous for rear wheel drive.... Audi's Quattro is Legend!
If u really want AWD, i would go Audi over BMW. I guess everybody knows that,, A4=328=C300, S4=335=C350, RS4=M3=C63 AMG. Audi make nice cars,, cars that with 'R' is like BMW with 'M'. RS5 is SO nice...:) good luck man!

BTW, you really need to sell ur G37x......just a better name for nissan...(just a advise)

·
Stay Thirsty
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True - LOL re: g37.

After the driving the S4, the G is really a let down. I will drive the BMW, but in general, i agree BMW is know for RWD - it is the best. Quattro can;t be beat in the AWD catagory ;-)

·
Original Owners Club
501 Posts
I had an A4 Quattro, and I always thought it handled kind of light and "squirrely" in heavy rain, always felt like the car would go out of control at any time. I much prefer the more "planted" feel of the BMW, even with RWD. So I suggest OP do a test drive of both cars in good and bad weather to see how they handle.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Hi All,

I am in a current dead heat between a 2012 S4 and a 2011 335XI (M Sport, performance edition). The 335xi is about 3k less.

Any advice as i assume there are a lot of folks comparing these two cars (or have compared them. I am a former GTI MK6 (apr tuned) owner and currently drive a G37x. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
An E9x 335i greatly suffers from suspension deficiencies. Perhaps the worst offenders are the rear subframe bushings.....famously wimped, they allow the rear to be vague & squirmy.

Other suspension parts are made to deflect, yielding much less than what's possible by replacement w/M3 parts....many threads on this @ e90post, N54tech, etc.

I recommend the now-coming-off-lease possibilities of an '09 335i and the excellent M3 suspension upgrades readily available + matched Koni's & springs + limited slip diff. That and ~$1K engine mods will make you forget all about Audi; most others short of a Ferrari. 3.5 sec 0-60 times, yet civilized. Smooth grip that never ends. Oh, yes....:D

Audi. Good Lord.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
YUP that f30 335 should be awesome!

and are OP are you buying or leasing this car? BE AWARE of the HORRIBLE carbon build ups that have been plaguing Audi Models across the board even up to 2011 models. They Just can't get it right.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

Not Sure if the new S4 uses FSI though.
It looks like the 2011 S4 is not showing the carbon buildup issues.

"The B8 S4 has a thermostat recall under way for MY 2010 and some MY2011 cars. Doing this requires the Supercharger to be pulled. Our Supercharger sits on top of the intake runners, where you can actuate the air flaps and see directly down to the intake valves. CB appears to have been sucessfully defeated for the B8 S4 from this picture a friend with 30,000 miles on his B8 S4 was able to get when they took his Supercharger off:

I must say these look gorgeous for 30K miles!"

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had an A4 Quattro, and I always thought it handled kind of light and "squirrely" in heavy rain, always felt like the car would go out of control at any time. I much prefer the more "planted" feel of the BMW, even with RWD. So I suggest OP do a test drive of both cars in good and bad weather to see how they handle.
I would agree that you need to test drive a decent amout. I drive my 335xi in the snow all the time with A/S tires and it performs great, cornering isn't sketchy and I always enjoy seeing the surprised look on SUV drivers faces as I pull away from them at stoplights. Although Quattro is excellent, don't underrate xDrive without test driving it. The N54/N55 engines are the best I've ever seen and turbocharging gives you a nicer experience at high revs for all those days when the roads are dry. Both cars are excellent and it's largely a matter of taste. Personally, styling-wise I think the S4 looks the same as a $30k A4. Audi needs to do more to make it look distinctive.

Now where is WestWest when we need his opinion?:D

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I would agree that you need to test drive a decent amout. I drive my 335xi in the snow all the time with A/S tires and it performs great, cornering isn't sketchy and I always enjoy seeing the surprised look on SUV drivers faces as I pull away from them at stoplights. Although Quattro is excellent, don't underrate xDrive without test driving it. The N54/N55 engines are the best I've ever seen and turbocharging gives you a nicer experience at high revs for all those days when the roads are dry. Both cars are excellent and it's largely a matter of taste. Personally, styling-wise I think the S4 looks the same as a $30k A4. Audi needs to do more to make it look distinctive.
Now where is WestWest when we need his opinion?:D
I just returned from my SE Florida house where you regularly see every great car known to man on the roads. Some days, it looks like they are giving away Bentleys and Ferraris. Even in the company of these types of cars, IMO, the A4/S4 holds it's own in the looks department. (it's rare to see an S4 there however, and I see more of them here in PA)

I have a winter set of wheels/snow tires on my daughter's S4 and it drives through snow like a tank. The same is true of my wife's '08 535xi with the same winter setup.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
As much as I love my e92, when it comes to AWD I've gotta give it to the Audi. And since you're buying and not leasing that's another check in the Audi's favor (aud's lease for way more than comparable bmws). I have a few pet peeves with the S4 but nothing that would bother most people. ANd in many ways it feels like a much nicer, expensive car than a 335. Compared to a RWD 335, the S4 just didn't quite "do" anyting for me..it felt very competent and fast but it didn't make me smile

·
Salz und Pfeffer
965 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yeah - S4 is $6 more per month than the G.

Check out this thread (i can here to get a BMW owner prespective: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5207600-Which-To-****BMW-335i-xDrive-versus-Audi-S4

170 S4 to 20 335

Is it the Xi that doesn't play well in the comparision?
I was in the same boat a few months ago. If the S4 can be had for only $6 more than your G37X!!!!! You got majorly screwed on your G37X lease.. :mad:

Anyway, I liked the S4, and if I had wanted a 4 door I would have went that route. I strictly wanted a 2 door and the S5 V8 is a joke. So I went with the 335i x drive coupe. The S4 would have also been $150 more than the 335i x drive in my case. Not worth it to me. The S4 is a great car... if but a little boring looking. IMO

·
Stay Thirsty
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was in the same boat a few months ago. If the S4 can be had for only $6 more than your G37X!!!!! You got majorly screwed on your G37X lease.. :mad:

Anyway, I liked the S4, and if I had wanted a 4 door I would have went that route. I strictly wanted a 2 door and the S5 V8 is a joke. So I went with the 335i x drive coupe. The S4 would have also been $150 more than the 335i x drive in my case. Not worth it to me. The S4 is a great car... if but a little boring looking. IMO
lol - $6/month more in insurance :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.