BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my lease is up, 2014 640i GC, and I am looking to replace it in December, the new 5 won't be available, so I am trying to decide between 340i, 440i GC or 535i

I want the most fun to drive with comfortable front seats, , which one is more fun?
I am getting the M sport fully loaded, your feedback is welcome. Focusing on most fun (I do not care about rear seat space)

·
Registered
147 Posts
my lease is up, 2014 640i GC, and I am looking to replace it in December, the new 5 won't be available, so I am trying to decide between 340i, 440i GC or 535i

I want the most fun to drive with comfortable front seats, , which one is more fun?
I am getting the M sport fully loaded, your feedback is welcome. Focusing on most fun (I do not care about rear seat space)
5 series seats are 2x more comfortable than f30 seats. the leather is lower end on 3 4 series.

535i is no slouch even though weighs more than the other two you mentioned. that being said it probably is more boaty around corners than the 4 series. you'll probably have motion sickness trying to do hard turns.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

Based on what you specified, I would get the 440 GC.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I agree with you, would go for the 440***(see below). I had the opportunity to drive a 535 x-drive as a loaner and it drove like a large luxurious car (relative to a 3 series). A pleasant driving experience with nice power from the inline 6, but if you're focusing on fun, I would want the v8 4.4 liter for a 5-series.

Coming from a 6 series, the 3 series may feel small. I love my F30, but also have not just spent 3 years in a 6 series. I drove a 4 series coupe as a loaner too (428) and found it to be a nice middle between the 3 and 5, and rather sporty. So....I would say the 440 BUT would recommend driving them.

***BUT!!!! If you're going for a loaded 440, then you're around $65k, and you're in Miami. So no big need for Xdrive. In that situation, the hell with a 440, I would go for a M4 (or M3!!). Fun!! Dont care about back seats!! M3/M4 everyday and twice on Sunday!!

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
There's a poster here (can't remember his name right now) who went from a 535 to a 435 GC. He felt the F10 was too large and boaty feeling but he had an xdrive model. If you get RWD 535 with msport it will have a tighter suspension. Still won't handle like a 3/4 series but much better than standard 5. My biggest complaint with the 5 is that the steering seems pretty slow (you have to apply more lock than you would in a 3 series. BMW offers the 4 wheel steering in the 5 but its expensive and can be a bit wonky)

Some pros for the 440 would be:
-it has the newest 6 cyl turbo engine with more power. So its' going to be faster and more fuel efficient
-the hatchback design is more versatile
-It's smaller/lighter/nimbler feeling
-YOu can custom order one if you want ( The 5's end of production is so close that I don't think you can custom order a 5 anymore)

Pros for the 535 would be:
-can probably get a much better deal since they are nearing the end of production. Woulnd't be surprised if the lease came out 200 less even given the much higher msrp
-Available with Nappa leather which feels much better than the Dakota on the 440. Plenty of 535s on dealer lots have nappa because it comes standard with Msport and luxury line
-Slightly more solid feeling interior quality (I think this point gets overstated on the F10 forum but its still true to some extent)
-More comfortable seats
-Some creature comforts not available on the 3/4 series like: power steering column, full dual climate control (fan, temp, direction), felt lined door pockets, soft close doors (optional)
-Much quieter when cruising on the highway

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
I disagree. Not having driven the current model 5 series, my opinion is based on the 340i versus 440i GC.

The GC looks sporty. However, I believe the 340i is more fun to drive, albeit not much more. It may be a little lighter. I don't know if the suspension is a tiny bit different but I thought the 328i was a bit more fun to drive than the 428i GC.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the feedback, not an easy decision.
I usually have 5 series, but after the E60 550 Msport, I had an F10 550 Msport and it was not as fun as the E60, suspension and steering were not as good.

Maybe I will try swapalease and pick up a 340i with short term and wait for the new 5, hoping it will recover what the F10 lost.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I disagree. Not having driven the current model 5 series, my opinion is based on the 340i versus 440i GC.

The GC looks sporty. However, I believe the 340i is more fun to drive, albeit not much more. It may be a little lighter. I don't know if the suspension is a tiny bit different but I thought the 328i was a bit more fun to drive than the 428i GC.
We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, but of course thats fine.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,890 Posts

If you let BMWFS know you are planning to get the new 5er they will let you extend your lease to accommodate the timing to get one. The G30 goes into production in November. If you order one you should be able to get it by January or February. Ordering guides just came out.

To answer your question it'll be a toss up between the 340i and the 440i.

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, but of course thats fine.
I thought of an explanation! The GC I drove was x-Drive. Maybe that is what made it soft? I like the GC hatchback but wish it were not electric.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I thought of an explanation! The GC I drove was x-Drive. Maybe that is what made it soft? I like the GC hatchback but wish it were not electric.
Ahh.. that might explain why you felt the difference. I happen to like the power trunk, but if I remember right you are a "buy and hold" person while I am on the "lease treadmill".

Typically, if I was keeping the car I might want less gadgets (less things to break). Leasing, I want more gadgets to enjoy the fact that I can have these things for the same price as a lesser optioned car if I was buying.

In any case, if you get a chance to try an xdrive model with adaptive M suspension (unlikely as that is typically ordered for someone), OR a NON xdrive model with the static suspension, give it a shot and see what you think.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,628 Posts

If fun is your primary objective, you need to be thinking M3 or M4. If M is not acceptable, you should pick 440 GC or 340. I personally think that the 4 handles better than the 3, but that supposedly changed with the LCI 3 series.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,628 Posts
thanks for all the feedback, not an easy decision.
I usually have 5 series, but after the E60 550 Msport, I had an F10 550 Msport and it was not as fun as the E60, suspension and steering were not as good.

Maybe I will try swapalease and pick up a 340i with short term and wait for the new 5, hoping it will recover what the F10 lost.
The 340 just came out so you won't find a lease assumption with less than 2 plus years left.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If fun is your primary objective, you need to be thinking M3 or M4. If M is not acceptable, you should pick 440 GC or 340. I personally think that the 4 handles better than the 3, but that supposedly changed with the LCI 3 series.
While the 440 GC may not be M4 level fun, it'll prove fun enough for most people.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
5 series seats are 2x more comfortable than f30 seats. the leather is lower end on 3 4 series.

535i is no slouch even though weighs more than the other two you mentioned. that being said it probably is more boaty around corners than the 4 series. you'll probably have motion sickness trying to do hard turns.
Love post like this, for 2017MY you can get Individual leather on 440 GC just like the F10 as an option which is the same high quality.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts

Another option is M3/M4 for more fun than 340i/440i GC/535i.

Out of 340i/440i GC/535i, the 340i probably has advantages of curb weight and 50/50 over the other 2.

As far as the new 5-series, lease extension(as others suggested) till Jan/Feb seems to be a reasonable option.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts