BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I dropped off my 340i (CWP, THP, DAP) for oil change. Also submitted a list of items to be checked/fixed under warranty.

Have any of you encountered the items below? What were the fixes?
SA says 1&2 will be fixed by transmission software update. 3 is normal (although I don't hear creaking on the 2016 328i loaner I got).

1. Comfort mode acceleration from stop had lag/Comfort mode slow response of accelerator
Kick back from gear on low speed just after starting

2. Comfort mode acceleration isn’t butter smooth & 3rd gear jump

3. Creaking in rear wheel after activating hand brake on an incline/decline (eg. driveway)

4. Ac had metallic/gurgling noise audible when the fan is at the lowest speed
Engine. Stop start vibrates whole car

5. Whining sound while accelerating at low speeds

6. Seatbelt holder keeps going down

7. Windshield has micro scratches all over, visible when viewed against sunlight

8. M Break makes weird sound when slightly releasing

9. Driver door opening stickiness after leaving the car in the sun for a while

10. Wiper Blades replacement

·
Registered
277 Posts
I suspect they are not going to find anything wrong with a number of those, specifically the ones involving "weird noises", unless you have a stellar service dept with a lot of time on their hands. Have not experienced any of these, wish I could help. Not sure where you are located but I am in Charlotte and Hendrick so far has been pretty good to us in the past with troubleshooting. They used to have a customer service tech guy on staff that did nothing but troubleshoot stuff but not sure if they still do that.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Im curious what you are expecting them to do about micro scratches on the windshield? How can you prove to them that this is due to some defect, and not due to how the windshield was washed (by you, or whoever washes your car)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RockyM, The car is at Performance BMW in Chapel Hill which is also a Hendrick dealership. Hope they are ask good as the one in CLT. I did reproduce the AC noise to their lead technician.

jjrandorin, I agree - tehy could say that it might have happened due to user error. I'll just have to take it to a glass repair shop since I can't prove otherwise.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Automotive glass is generally pretty crappy all around any more. Not sure why. The Car Talk guys used to complain about this all the time. My GTI was horrible when you looked through it in a certain light and angle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interested in whether dealership actually improves the initial lag in throttle in Comfort mode. My assumption has been that it's part of nanny MPG controls. Seems to be nearly non-existent in Sport Mode. Wish you luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interestingly the 2016 328i loaner (non m sport non THP) has absolutely no lag in comfort mode. In fact it feels more agile than my 340i in comfort mode. On my 340i, when i hit the accelerator from stop in comfort, nothing happens for half a second and then there is a sudden swell of engine noise and acceleration.

truth649, is that what you have?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I thought comfort mode is slow to respond as programmed. It's the main reason I never use Comfort mode.

By #8 if you mean the thump sound you get when you release the pedal it is normal. I brought my car in for this and the loaner 340 I had did the same thing.

While we are complaining:

The cheap, loose, rear panel overhead light panel is also normal. :) It's mounted below the sunroof which means it can't be properly, and solidly, attached. The light controls should be directly above the rear passengers head, by the third brake light so that it can be attached directly to the roof.... like previous model years. :rofl: Doesn't feel very German to me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, #8 is the thump sound when you release the brake. I'm surprised that the hand brake activation causing creak in rear wheel is normal. The 328i loaner doesn't do it. My honda odyssey or my last acura didn't do it (push on push off).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine has the laggy comfort mode and gurgling dash, interested to see where you end up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hshanka, yes seems to be most pronounced during a quick stop and then quick acceleration. I stopped quick to avoid hitting someone and had to get out of the way quick and it just sat there for what felt like forever before it started moving.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So they did a software update that eliminated the kickback in first gear, reduced (not eliminated) the accelerator response lag, and made the gear changes smoother in comfort mode.
The software update also made sport mode gear changes smoother. The active sound is a little reduced too in both modes.

They want to comapre 3, 4, 5 against a new 340i. The SA said their 340is are gone so quickly i might have to wait a few months before they can bring me in for the comparison. I am just wondering if they are trying to blow me off. Will try another dealership in the area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man, I'm glad I don't have to work on your car. What a nightmare. Chasing a bunch of phantom issues while getting paid nothing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts