BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here, looking for some insight or even advice as i'm in the market for my very first BMW. I began my car search looking for an AWD (I live in northern US) 6 cy. luxury sedan. I'm looking used so I wont go older than a 2018, and I considered Audi S4's, looked into AMG C 43's, but really fell for the 340i M sport, even though it's slightly less sporty. I think that's mostly because I found the performance was similar between all 3 but the 340 was a bit cheaper because it doesn't carry the M badge.

Regardless, I wasn't shopping for one when the market was "correct" so to say. So for a 2018 340xi with reasonable miles its anywhere from 35k-45k, with the cheaper options being the cars showing more wear and tear. I guess my question is, if I try to wait for the market to come back should that even happen, what is a good price for one of these? Should I hold off until I can find a good one around $30k? Is $35k reasonable, or overpriced?

I know that's a hard question to answer, but I guess im asking your expert opinions on where you would be a buyer if you didnt NEED a car right now and could wait it out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Price depends a lot on mileage and if you are looking at used (with probably no warranty) or CPO. I have been seriously considering a 4 Series Gran Coupe to replace my '14 X1, but have been put off by the prices in the current used car market. I would say a lower mileage '18 or '19 CPO 340i would be around $40k, with non-CPO used lower. You obviously can do searches on the BMW CPO inventory website or places like autotrader to see what asking prices are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Price depends a lot on mileage and if you are looking at used (with probably no warranty) or CPO. I have been seriously considering a 4 Series Gran Coupe to replace my '14 X1, but have been put off by the prices in the current used car market. I would say a lower mileage '18 or '19 CPO 340i would be around $40k, with non-CPO used lower. You obviously can do searches on the BMW CPO inventory website or places like autotrader to see what asking prices are.
Yeah, there was a CPO 2018 with approx. 41k miles on it for $38500 near me recently but was sold by the time I got ahold of them. It's going to be my daily driver so i'm looking for less the 50k miles which adds to the price for sure. I'll keep my eye out, maybe if I haggle down to ~$35k with someone I'll take it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There are a lot of very low mileage off-lease cars being turned in. People that worked from home rather than driving to work during the pandemic. A few months ago there was a CPO '19 440i Gran Coupe on the market with less than 3000 miles listed for $40k!

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's still a rather nutty used car market but it should adjust back to normal levels eventually. It may be hard to find an off-lease 2018 340i (F30), but 2019+ (G20) should be out there. Both generations offer the awesome inline 6-cyl B58 motor. CPO is a good choice for some piece of mind but you'll pay a little extra for it. Read about what it takes to certify, and what is (and isn't) included in the CPO warranty. If you absolutely need a car sooner than later, I'd keep searching to see what's out there and act fast once you find the one. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts