Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is to add to the general knowledge base concerning 35d reliability and the EGR cooler recall.

I have a 2016 X5 35d with a June 2016 build date. In early January 2019, at slightly above 78,000 miles, I encountered the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction warning. The car would not accelerate above 2,000 RPM. It would go into limp mode. The engine would also choke out if I attempted moderate to hard acceleration when 2k RPM was reached.
I also had a Check Engine Light the previous day, but I don't know if the two were related.

From start to finish, my X5 was at the dealer for 3 weeks. It took a week and a half to diagnose the problem as the turbo. I believe some problem testing guidance was provided from BMW.
Upon replacement of the turbo, debris from a failed EGR Cooler was found in the turbo. The root cause of the problem was the EGR cooer failed and its failure took out the turbo.

The final repair consisted of a new EGR cooler, turbo, and turbo installation kit.

The good news - all was covered under warranty by BMW. I believe this was through the EGR cooler recall. The dealership did not know whether or not I received a new design EGR cooler (for recall repairs) or if an old style EGR cooler was used. I will be going back in when I receive the recall notice to have the new EGR cooler checked.

Both the BMW dealership and BMW did a great job getting my X5 35d back on the road.

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
Good to know, thanks. Wife has a 2018 X5d, We love it.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you know if they replaced the EGR valves as a part or recall? In my previous VW diesels, they would eventually get caked and stop working. (The manifold would have to soak in some chemical too to remove the caking by-product and it cost thousands.) The dealer mentioned that this is also the case in all BMW diesels even with the high and low flow passes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you know if they replaced the EGR valves as a part or recall? In my previous VW diesels, they would eventually get caked and stop working. (The manifold would have to soak in some chemical too to remove the caking by-product and it cost thousands.) The dealer mentioned that this is also the case in all BMW diesels even with the high and low flow passes.
These were the parts listed on the invoice:

11-65-8-517-632 Exch-Turbo Charge
11-65-2-457-367 Installation Kit (turbo)
11-71-8-513-693 Exhaust Cooler
11-71-8-574-365 Gasket Steel

The recall was not performed. I will need to go back in for an evaluation when I am notified of recall parts being available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I received my recall notice, but the dealer tells me they don***8217;t have the parts. He said he***8217;d call me, but after a month, I called him but he isn***8217;t returning my call. I***8217;ll call again

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My X5 was repaired under warranty. For past BMW recalls, I would receive a letter from BMW NA instructing me to schedule an appointment at my local service center. I have not received such instruction from BMW NA or my local dealership for the EGR recall.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
The dealer must purchase a boroscope camera first, to get approval to do warranty repairs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts