BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why my outside temperature indicator flashes and beeps at 37 degrees F ? Thanks, Michael

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
That is your Freeze Alarm. It warns you of the potential of ice forming somewhere due to air temps (bridges, etc).

·
Registered
686 Posts
...or it means you have 37 seconds until the driver eject function kicks in. Part of the premium/commando package which you can tell that you have if your car has a very rough ride over broken pavement.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,691 Posts
it's also a reminder that your owner's manual is your friend.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I think it also may be some sort of teutonic requirement because every german car I have driven with a temperature feature has "beeped" at 37 degrees. Thanks to cubed I now know that I have the premium/commando package in my X3 with the horrible ride. I am waiting for the automatic ejection sequence to start any day now!

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Page 44 on your manual ;)

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
I am waiting for the automatic ejection sequence to start any day now!
Just do this, open your sunroof all the way, press the memory buttons on the following sequence: M-1-2-3, while you keep pressing the shifter release for 3 seconds. :rofl:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Thanks! I wondered what that striped pull up handle on the front of the seat was for. Can't wait to try it as I depart the car for the last time:p.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think it also may be some sort of teutonic requirement because every german car I have driven with a temperature feature has "beeped" at 37 degrees. Thanks to cubed I now know that I have the premium/commando package in my X3 with the horrible ride. I am waiting for the automatic ejection sequence to start any day now!
I will never get used to that beeping under 38 degrees. I'm thinking that a nice glowing warning light would be kinder to the senses.

Whatever your premium/commando package is, it beats the gremlins-with-hammers super duper premium package that I received with my X3.

My thighs hurt trying to keep rear on seat after a few hours of driving around yesterday. Bump, slide, bump, slide, bounce, bounce, bounce....ouch.

The downshifting and strong engine brake effect seems to have backed off requiring more braking on steeper hills. Darn, I thought that was a good feature and now that has become intermittent. I am thinking now that this is not just a transmission thing but a throttle thing and it is another confused s/w program.

I am curious to find out what is going on with the accelerating Toyotas and whether that has to do with s/w programming of throttles. If so, car manufacturers are going to have to hire better programmers.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,691 Posts
Stop posting in threads that have nothing to do with your damn car's problems. We know!

i will never get used to that beeping under 38 degrees. I'm thinking that a nice glowing warning light would be kinder to the senses.

Whatever your premium/commando package is, it beats the gremlins-with-hammers super duper premium package that i received with my x3.

My thighs hurt trying to keep rear on seat after a few hours of driving around yesterday. Bump, slide, bump, slide, bounce, bounce, bounce....ouch.

The downshifting and strong engine brake effect seems to have backed off requiring more braking on steeper hills. Darn, i thought that was a good feature and now that has become intermittent. I am thinking now that this is not just a transmission thing but a throttle thing and it is another confused s/w program.

I am curious to find out what is going on with the accelerating toyotas and whether that has to do with s/w programming of throttles. If so, car manufacturers are going to have to hire better programmers.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Stop posting in threads that have nothing to do with your damn car's problems. We know!
Look PPXYZ when two of the most critical people on this board ask you to tone it down; you know you have over-stepped boundaries.

And the 37 degree beep is just there to give us something else to talk about. Darn thing sounded just like my on call pager and would drive me nuts.

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
Thanks! I wondered what that striped pull up handle on the front of the seat was for. Can't wait to try it as I depart the car for the last time:p.
Mine has the US Navy style of Face Curtain to pull down over your face before ejecting. I always thought that was a great design as I had no real desire to see what was going to kill me as I exited the F-14.:yikes:

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
...Whatever your premium/commando package is, it beats the gremlins-with-hammers super duper premium package that I received with my X3.

My thighs hurt trying to keep rear on seat after a few hours of driving around yesterday. Bump, slide, bump, slide, bounce, bounce, bounce....ouch....
Then obviously you are not driving it appropriately... if you bought a commando package then you should drive it LIKE a commando :rofl:

Note, in all seriousness, that a high frequency suspension like on the BMWs is optimized around higher speeds. They really DO smooth out at speed :angel: So get out of town, get out on the highway and drive it the way it was designed to be driven.

(sorry... totally off original topic but I could not resist)

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Note, in all seriousness, that a high frequency suspension like on the BMWs is optimized around higher speeds.
True. It feels so stable at high speeds.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Then obviously you are not driving it appropriately... if you bought a commando package then you should drive it LIKE a commando :rofl:

Note, in all seriousness, that a high frequency suspension like on the BMWs is optimized around higher speeds. They really DO smooth out at speed :angel: So get out of town, get out on the highway and drive it the way it was designed to be driven.

(sorry... totally off original topic but I could not resist)
A high frequency suspension? I hadn't heard about that before so I will have to look it up.

Yes, things are much better on the highway.

Back OT, I wonder if the AC compressor stops working when that beeping starts at 38 degrees.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Back OT, .................. when that beeping starts at 38 degrees.
To keep things entirely accurate,

it's just a single beep, at 3 deg. C. /37 deg. F.,

does nothing more than alert (or startle) the driver,

has been fairly standard on all new cars sold in Europe over the last 6 years or more,

and they seem to readily accept it as part of the serious business of driving.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The ice warning should be able to be deprogrammed by the dealer under key/vehicle memory settings.

True. It feels so stable at high speeds.
I wouldn't have my 2004's stiff suspension any other way. And yes, on the highway when cruising over 120km/h, it "feels" right. If the suspension was any softer, it'd be less fun on the secondary roads and less capable on mountain passes. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts