Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Recently purchased a used F34 with factory fitted swivel towbar and 13 pin wiring socket.

I am pulling my hair out with a problem, the lights dont work and the previous owner is adamant that they have worked before.
I have confirmed my trailers lights do work on another car with my 13pin to 7pin adapter. The tow bar will not retract when my adapter is in the socket, so the microswitch in the socket is working.
But no bloomin lights work. It seems like the car is not sensing that the trailer is attached (if thats how it works) and does not turn on the lights. There is no steady voltage on any pin, but there is some kind of electrical activity, no pins are completely dead. Earth resistance is about 1 ohm which sounds about right.

Should there be a voltage on the socket without a trailer detected? Any ideas what is going on? What I can test?

I am going to try a local Caravan senter and see if i can test with a 13 pin native light setup, otherwise I am stumped.

Note, I have even changed the AAG module, flashed and coded which did not help. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
There should be voltage coming to the socket if the power is switched on at the car. You should have either a car dealer or mechanic familiar with trailer hookups test both the car and trailer.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The problem could be several places. The socket could be damaged. The connections between socket and wiring could be bad. The wiring could have a break. You have to start at one end and work your way back. In the time it takes to shoot messages back and forth over the net a competent mechanic would have the problem identified.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
It is now day three and you have shifted to worrying about what others think. If you want to problem solve on your own then you need to start testing and eliminating potential causes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries @John MS, don't give a monkeys what you think to be honest. As I said not quite the advice I am after, I am well versed in the art of fault finding, did you even read my OP?

FYI, on my car at least there is no output voltage on any of the driving light contacts until a trailer is detected. Cold monitoring :)

Found the problem a while ago, all I was hoping for was someone else that had a similar issue and could shed some light, not someone referring me to a mechanic, which is something you seem to do alot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts