BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing around with settings in the navi menu, I stumbled on to this. This is the hottest navigation screen I've ever seen. Shows buildings around me & traffic flow.

If you guys already knew about this then I'm sorry to add another meaningless post. I'm just loving my new ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Damn it, I'm jealous! My 2008 535i has fairly straightforward graphics.

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
i wonder if it does that for all major cities or just NYC? google earth shows NYC like that too..but not all cities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the manual it denotes "where available". So I'm guessing major metropolitan areas. It feels like the navi is google based tho. Both are Navteq maps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It does it in downtown Toronto.

i wonder if it does that for all major cities or just NYC? google earth shows NYC like that too..but not all cities.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
This happens in NJ as well in Edgewater and only seems to show the 3D where there are tall buildings.

Another poster posted similar pic on another thread a while back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
The graphics are awesome on the new Nav's in the 10s! Was almost enough to rid myself of the 08 and sign up for the 10!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Are you saying you get live traffic on city streets?

My 2007 gets traffic only on the freeways through the RTTI system and it's highly unreliable and very imprecise.

After playing around with settings in the navi menu, I stumbled on to this. This is the hottest navigation screen I've ever seen. Shows buildings around me & traffic flow.

If you guys already knew about this then I'm sorry to add another meaningless post. I'm just loving my new ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I'm driving around NYC, nearly every street is yellow or red, lol. Its due to the categories, there is always road work or detours going on. Doesn't matter to me because I know all the fast routes anyway being a resident. I haven't tried it in other cities yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How do you get the 3-d?? Does it come up in the "perspective" view? I haven't seen anything like it in my city. BOTH of our buildings are pretty tall in Cleveland. Try "Cleveland Tourism" video on You Tube:bigpimp:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
How do you get the 3-d?? Does it come up in the "perspective" view? I haven't seen anything like it in my city. BOTH of our buildings are pretty tall in Cleveland. Try "Cleveland Tourism" video on You Tube:bigpimp:
It is in perspective view and you also have to click the box for 3D in the options.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
hot damn!

i guess it's a nice novelty item...how useful is it?
It's useful for orienting yourself to the surroundings because you can make out buildings and see where you are in relation to them. Ultimately the goal of GPS manufacturers is "augmented reality" where the map is as close as possible to what you see out the windows.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had heard rumors of this feature, but I hadn't actually seen it in operation. After seeing this thread, I tried it out last night and sure enough I was able to see buildings in different cities. Pretty cool!

I had to use the interactive feature to navigate to different cities, since I don't live in the city and I had to zoom in to somewhere between 400ft and 100ft to see the buildings.

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's some mild usefulness as it does help your orientation, but for me it's far more about eye candy.

Friends get in the car and go all gaga over it.

hot damn!

i guess it's a nice novelty item...how useful is it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts