BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received below this afternoon.
"The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW. Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is not a technology upgrade available that would allow you to continue to use ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services after the expiration of your contract, or February 2022, whichever occurs first."

I called BMW asking if above phase was a hint for me to buy a new BMW having 5G so I will have my heads up display. BMW was no help. I called my local BMW and they were not much help.

A lot has happened in last few years. There have been recent cyber attacks on oil lines and a meat factory. There is 5G, Windows 10, Apple 12, Android 10 and now, no heads up on my soon to be seven year old BMW's.

Should an attorney or judge be reading this could there be a class action law suit against BMW brought by BMW affected owners? Or what about a Go Fund Me account to raise money to fight this phase out of 3G network technology for older BMW's.
Let me and others know.
Thanks

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
886 Posts
Here we go again.
This is not a BMW decision. This effects several manufacturers and is a choice by the wireless carriers. Your gripe lies with them.
While your frustrations are valid I believe your target is misguided

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here we go again.
This is not a BMW decision. This effects several manufacturers and is a choice by the wireless carriers. Your gripe lies with them.
While your frustrations are valid I believe your target is misguided
I don't think frustration at BMW is misguided - BMW continued using 3G hardware well into few years when 4G (late 2009 4G came to life) was introduced. They should have updated the comm module at least when LCI 7-series was introduced but they didn't. So I am with bmw740i2015 on this, BMW should own the issue and like 2G to 3G comm module upgrade, they should offer similar solution for 3G to 4G modules for all cars impacted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess is most if not all current 3G BMW's drivers have an extra $100.00 sitting around. I have no clue how many 3G BMW's are out there but say 10,000 then multiply by $100.00 that comes out to a lot of dollars for some 3G BMW attorney to earn to do his job.
File a class action law suit against some if not all wireless providers. Or find some one to make 5G replacement hardware easy to install. Very simple. And something else. It will make big news on TV and papers and for Attorney filing and for 3G BMW drivers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a few searches for 3G to 5G. It appears Verizon's new 5G is a lot faster than 3G meaning this upgrade to 5G is a big change not only for BMW and every other old car having 3G but for home users with 3G and 4G routers and older cell phones.
Except for one small thing. It is a lot less expensive to upgrade a router or cell phone than it is to upgrade to a new BMW or ford just to have a 5G heads up display with voice directions and blue tooth for my cell.
There has to be some high school electronics kid who can figure out how to make a 3G to 5G adapter for BMW's or like.
When I purchased my 2015 BMW in late 2014 as a Christmas gift for me I was warned about 5G in 2022 and now my 740i BMW will have less features than it did 6 years ago. I purchase my BMW because it had those features now they will soon be gone. No good.
There should be some extra trade in value bonus for 3G BMW owners on a new BMW purchased only to get back heads up display, faster wireless service for 5G cell phone and a newer body style.
I thought to do a search for 6G. See below. Not good for all you 5G BMW owners in 9 years.
"6G is expected to launch commercially in 2030. 6G is being developed in response to the increasingly distributed radio access network (RAN) and the desire to take advantage of the terahertz (THz) spectrum to increase capacity, lower latency and improve spectrum sharing efficiency." :cautious:

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,891 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
So you were warned about 5G when purchasing the car? Then I don't see the problem. Also, what does the HUD have to do with 5G? I wouldn't think 5G is viable in cars since the 5G wavelength travel distance is really short. More than likely it would be 4G based.

And it's a little bit more difficult than a high school project to retrofit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
see post #5 above. "for me I was warned" should read "for me I was not warned"
As for "Federal Rules for Civil Procedure Rule 23 IIRC and tell US the grounds for the suit." Whenever this rule was written my guess is it had nothing to do with a big depreciation in used car values based no more heads up display because of 3G to 5G by wireless companies and manufacturer with no upgrade or nothing.
And that 10000 number for BMW owners is now multiplied big time by all those other car companies telling their 3G customers no more heads up for you next year.
This could get to be really big and a big incentive for simple couple hundred dollar or less 3G to 5G plug in Amazon adapter that works.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Still don't get the problem behind the HUD. It's not a BMW decision to get rid of 3G. It might be a little more difficult than an amazon adapter since the antennas might be different and so on. Everything's possible, but it doesn't mean it's worth it for BMW to develop a retrofit for 5 people that use connected drive on their 7 series.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Still don't get the problem behind the HUD. It's not a BMW decision to get rid of 3G. It might be a little more difficult than an amazon adapter since the antennas might be different and so on. Everything's possible, but it doesn't mean it's worth it for BMW to develop a retrofit for 5 people that use connected drive on their 7 series.
HUD reference is confusing as HUD has nothing to do with cell signal - aside that, definitely it's not 5 people who use connected drive but more about BMW traffic info, remote app usage, address messaging to BMW, etc. There are definitely a number of people who use these functions and BMW did do an upgrade for 2G to 3G comm modules so I am sure they can do 3G to 4G or 4.5G, whatever they can do to address this situation.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,317 Posts
Talking about legal action is pointless because this scenario is specifically mentioned in the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you purchased the car (most likely by signing some document with a wall of text that you didn't read).

3. Service Limitations. The BMW Assist Services are provided by BMW using an embedded telematics device installed in your vehicle (the “telematics control unit”), which receives global positioning satellite (GPS) signals and communicates with the response center via wireless and landline communications networks. The telematics control unit is not intended to place or receive personal calls and may only place calls to our service providers as permitted under this agreement. The availability and use of BMW Assist Services are subject to many limitations, including the following: [...]; and (m) Your vehicle's telematics control unit uses digital cellular telephone signals. If the Underlying Wireless Carrier or BMW terminates or restricts digital service, the BMW Assist Services may not be available.
12. Force Majeure. BMW and its service providers will not be responsible for the failure to provide BMW Assist Services to you if caused by any of the following: any act or omission of the Underlying Wireless Carrier or any other wireless carrier (including interruption of wireless service), or any emergency agency or any other third-party service provider or product provider; equipment failures or shortages; damage to the response center, any land or wireless communications networks or the GPS system; acts of nature, acts of God, labor strikes or war; or any other act or event that is outside of the reasonable control of BMW and its service providers. UNDER ANY OF THESE CIRCUMSTANCES, BMW MAY AT ITS OPTION SUSPEND OR TERMINATE ALL OR SOME OF THE BMW ASSIST SERVICES OR TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO YOU AND WITHOUT ANY LIABILITY. MOREOVER YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO A REFUND OR CREDIT.
This type of situation is inevitable with any "connected" type of device. Protocols get deprecated, services get shut down, service providers go out of business, etc. Even if you bought a new car today, you should expect that its 4G services will be sunset in the probably not too distant future. 5G is already out and each generation has transitioned faster than its predecessor due to shorter device upgrade cycles, consumer demands, etc.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,891 Posts
I see already consideration of 6G.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - Federal Rules for Civil Procedure Rule 23 IIRC goes way back in time before 1G.
2 - Purchase agreement i signed in 2014 may or may not said when Wireless connection upgrades to 5G my heads up display and navigation is gone. Going back in time don't know what I would have done.
4 - This change totally helps dealer by charging a higher price for 5G cars and a much lower price for a trade in having no G or heads up with navigation.
5 - Those selling their 3G to 4G in weeks or months prior to February 2022 should disclose to buyer no heads up or navigation just in case they don't know and then when their heads up and navigation disappears in February come back to you for not telling them. And watch your sale price drop big time.
6 - Trading in you 3G or 4G BMW for a 2022 will make your trade in less because after February 2022 no more heads up or navigation for that dealer to sell it to someone else.
7 - My #1 post I guessed there are 10000 3G and 4G cars BMW's out there. Lots more. Like 70 million using Onstar, Enform on other cars and trucks.
8 - While it is nice to purchase a new 2022 BMW with 5G this change is going to hurt or make a lot of drivers angry with their cars manufacturer.
9 - Going back to my idea of Go Fund Me. A lot of money could be raised and not $100 x 10000 more like $10 X 60,000,000 million affected drivers including TV, magazine, radio, podcasters and newspaper reporters.
10 - Kagan: Your car may lose wireless navigation system in 2022 this article dated 03/29/2021 having to do with 3G to 5G
if you don't like coping URL search for rcrwireless.com author jeff kagan
11 - Go Fund Me and I will support a law suit against AT&T and/or Verizon or others.
12 - For sure it cost these companies less money to have made in China 3G to 5G adapters than it would be to pay out tens of millions of dollars to 3G and 4G drivers.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,317 Posts
2 - Purchase agreement i signed in 2014 may or may not said when Wireless connection upgrades to 5G my heads up display and navigation is gone. Going back in time don't know what I would have done.
What you would be losing is primarily the three main services that are included for 10 years on MY2014+ vehicles, which is Remote Services (unlock/lock/lights/horn from the app), Teleservice (automatically notify dealer when service is due), and BMW Assist (emergency call after accident).

If you have been paying for RTTI, you will lose that traffic information (although you can get some functionality back by coding RDS-TMS fallback if your area has such radio broadcasts).

As you can see, you will not lose any core functionality by not having ConnectedDrive services. I haven't had any ConnectedDrive services since the complementary four-year subscription expired in 2017 on my 750i. Your HUD will continue to work with the navigation system as the map data is stored locally on the hard drive (and it does not update automatically like on newer 4G-equipped vehicles, so you need to use a USB and FSC code).

8 - While it is nice to purchase a new 2022 BMW with 5G this change is going to hurt or make a lot of drivers angry with their cars manufacturer.
There aren't any 5G-enabled BMWs yet, I think the i4 and iX will be the first to support it with iDrive 8. Current vehicles are all equipped with 4G so the clock is ticking too.

10 - Kagan: Your car may lose wireless navigation system in 2022 this article dated 03/29/2021 having to do with 3G to 5G
I think that article is a bit exaggerated as most vehicles have onboard navigation systems and only rely on external services for enhanced features (ie. traffic data, Yelp integration for reviews associated with a POI, street view pictures from Google Maps, recent gas prices, etc.). "Wireless navigation system" probably refers to vehicles without on-board navigation where directions are provided as text from OnStar.

12 - For sure it cost these companies less money to have made in China 3G to 5G adapters than it would be to pay out tens of millions of dollars to 3G and 4G drivers.
Adapters are not possible because 3G wireless spectrum is being repurposed for 5G and you would basically have to setup your own local cell tower, which I imagine is not only unfeasible but also illegal due to interference and RF licensing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OP - As Robin has stated above, your HUD and Navigation will be fine. I have MY2013 and I have not had the 3G paid service for 3 years now and my car absolutely works fine. You also have a Cellphone (iPhone or Android) that you can use for any live traffic. A ton of people don't pay the annual subscription to BMW as it is not worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts