BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this stuff works great as far as protecting bugs and chips, but can i leave this thing on for around 2 weeks?...Im going on a road trip totaling about 1500 miles. Should I take the tape off as soon as I reach the destination and re-apply it when heading back home, or is it safe to keep on for 2 weeks straight? Will it bake into my paint with the sun beating on it?, also how much residue is there when removing it?

THANKS!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
You don`t want it on AT ALL with the car in the sun....the binders in the adhesive will do a job on your clear coat. Screw it, just put a couple of extra coats of Carnuba wax on the leading edge of the hood & fenders, and enjoy your trip.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking that too, but the 3M website guarantees it will come off with now harm:
"This tape removes cleanly without adhesive transfer or surface damage for up to 14 days, even in direct sunlight. It is a medium adhesion tape that is ideal for painted walls and trim, woodwork, glass and metal."....I think ill test it on my roof and go from there, Ive heard of many people successfully using it.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
i was thinking that too, but the 3M website guarantees it will come off with now harm:
"This tape removes cleanly without adhesive transfer or surface damage for up to 14 days, even in direct sunlight. It is a medium adhesion tape that is ideal for painted walls and trim, woodwork, glass and metal."....I think ill test it on my roof and go from there, Ive heard of many people successfully using it.
Then why did you ask?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on a side question, do you think ill have any type of permanent "tan mark" after just 2 weeks of it being outdoors?

·
Pick your line...
375 Posts
Your dice....roll em' and take your chances. Personally, I wouldn't put anything with an adhesive on my car. I don't even like the overspray from the wiper fluid on my paint. Call me anal, but anything mixed with the sun is a deadly combination for any paint job.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Putting blue tape on your car makes the car look stupid. Even on the track.

Get a real bra or have clear bra installed if you are concerned. But a 1500 mile road trip is no more hazardous, and may be less so, than 1500 miles around your local area.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't do it! That stuff was made for masking other surfaces painted with interior house paint. I left some on outside on some deck furniture for a couple of weeks and it was a bitch to clean up.

Griot's sells some stuff called "Bug-Off" that keeps bug from sticking. Apply like wax or AIO on a clean surface per instuctions on bottle, the bug jerky washes off easily. I've been using it for the last couple summers on my X3, works well. Doesn't do much for chips though . . . .

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Your driving a Bmw and you want to put 6.00 blue painters tape made for walls?? Go buy a 50.00 bra and dont worry, I would imagine blue tape would stick.

·
BMW Addict
122 Posts
I once had the blue painters tape take off the clearcoat of my e24 M6.

So, yes, it CAN happen. But my clearcoat was weak. Your damage may vary.

Get a bra. huh... that's funny.... I've never uttered those words before... never mind.... sorry.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I use the blue painters tape on details all the time and there is no adhesive transfer at all..however using it in the sun and wind, I think its going to dry the glue and fall off the car in that length of time, it sticks OK to the car, but pulls off the car real easy....besides looking totally ridiculous.

Just go get a fitted bra for the car and you will look much better and save the front end

1 - 13 of 13 Posts