BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BMW dealer quoted me a 3M medium tint for $190.

1. Is this 3M tint any good?
2. How dark is this "medium"? 35%?
3. Is $190 a good price? It seems a little high but I'm willing to do it because for some reason, I trust the dealer more than a regular car shop.

Thanks all!

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
$190 isn't _that_ bad... some places charge more than others, it's all based on labor rates. Your dealership isn't actually going to do it either, they're going to subcontract it out to that tint shop, so just go directly to the shop. ;)

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
What webguy said. ;)

35% is a nice tint IMHO. Some tint shops have samples on-hand so you can see examples of different tints before you have it put on your car. This can be a big help.

Good luck,

--SONET

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
flintdragon said:
My BMW dealer quoted me a 3M medium tint for $190.

1. Is this 3M tint any good?
2. How dark is this "medium"? 35%?
3. Is $190 a good price? It seems a little high but I'm willing to do it because for some reason, I trust the dealer more than a regular car shop.

Thanks all!
bring your car to Sunbusters, I've tinted 2 cars there and it's the best place to go in Austin. IMO.

--Andrew

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Not sure about 3M, but I'm sure it's among the better films. Just make sure that it's a metallic based tint so that it won't fade over time. Whoever installs it should issue a lifetime warranty on the film.

And yes, the dealer will just sub-contract to a local shop, so try to find out who that is and eliminate the middle man. My dealer said they would do it for $300!!! My salesman gave me the inside scoop on where to go (i.e. same place) and get it done for half that.

I have 35% grey tint...it's as low as NC law will allow. Sometimes it looks very dark, others it's like it's not even there... :dunno: Regardless it keeps out the UV rays that will kill your interior over time...

PS - the pix in my sig are pre-tint in case you were wondering...

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Regarding metallic tint, has this obstructed anyone's rear radar detection abilities?

I'm looking at getting 35-40% tint myself and would rather not hamper my detector's abilities. :angel:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts