BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am currently doing research for a project i would like to build, and i want to ensure i have made a good choice with using the 4.4i X5 as a donor for its drivetrain from the diff to the hub and the suspension.

first, can the diff and axles handle 500Whp/600 W lb ft? i plan on using an OM606 diesel and i do not want to use a diff or axles i will regularly break.

and what is the smallest wheel that can be fitted that clears the brakes?

thank you for your time

Keith

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody? its difficult to find anyone pushing 600ft lbs through these to see if it takes the beating.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think you asked the wrong question: Do a search here and on xoutpost.com for stripped splines/broken transfer cases and the like and I think you'll find plenty of people having troubles with the standard output engines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only can find problems with post facelift E53s, and the diff failures i have found where due to sloppy work by a mechanic or the drive shaft, which i wont be using, and the transfer case i am using is not computer controlled and has diff for AWD, and i will use the CV style front drive shaft and u joint rear driveshaft instead of the BMW ones since the wheelbase will be much shorter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts