BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
CGP25
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 07 4.8i with the 20" tires. I have to get rid of the Dunlap maxx tires. The questions is...I want to put A/S on the sport rims. I think they are 275/40 and 315/35 sizes. Which are the best A/S R/F out there?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I checked around when I bought our X5 and couldn't find any A/S tires for the OEM 20s. Maybe things have changed since then. Of course, I was strongly discouraged against them anyway, as the rear width of the tire would still be problematic in winter conditions, even in A/S guise.

I'd be curious to hear what your experience is, though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Go to tirerack.com, they have some all season tires in that size. I know Michelin makes tires in that size and it's hard to go wrong with Michelin tires in my opinion...

Craig

·
Registered
266 Posts
...I know Michelin makes tires in that size and it's hard to go wrong with Michelin tires in my opinion...
Craig
+1:thumbup: The Michelin Latitude Tour HPs are what I plan to replace my 20" Dunlop run-flat POSs with. I have talked to several people running these and they are very happy with them.

·
CGP25
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1:thumbup: The Michelin Latitude Tour HPs are what I plan to replace my 20" Dunlop run-flat POSs with. I have talked to several people running these and they are very happy with them.
Is anyone out there running these Michelin Latitude Tour's that can give us some advice on how quiet they are, treadwear, etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 x5 3.0 rims and tires

can anyone assist me with what i should do, i got the stock 18's with runflats and i want to switch to the 128 style bmw wheels and what i heard was that their supposed to be 21"s all around with 10" wide in front and 11"inches in the back do i have to make any modifications to the suspension to the car ??

·
Registered
613 Posts
They are 20" wheels, not 21". Check with Tire Rack, they have the tires you need. From the factory, they come with fender flares that you can purchase from the dealer if you want them. You won't have to modify the suspension.

Craig

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is anyone out there running these Michelin Latitude Tour's that can give us some advice on how quiet they are, treadwear, etc.?

Thanks
There are several very positive reviews posted on X5World.com in addition the reviews on tirerack.com and consumerreports.com. For me, I have a close friend with the Latitude Tours on his 2005 X5. He loves them and I have driven his X and I'm sold too. Unless you what to race your X5 on the track, these are the best tires you can buy IMHO.

·
***** Prowler
274 Posts
i've put bridgestone dueler sport 315/35 on my rear. been working fine.

·
CGP25
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Did you put them on the front as well? And did you get the RFT's? Or regular tires?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Bselman, did you ever make a switch? I, too, have the OEM Dunlops and hate them. I swear, they're just getting noisier and noisier. It's obnoxious. I was going to look into the Michelin Lat. Tours that have been mentioned here, but haven't pulled the trigger yet? Does anyone know if they are quieter than the Dunlops?

·
Among the Proud
477 Posts
Toyo Proxes S/T and Michelin Latitude Tour HP (not HP ZP runflat) are two all-season [staggered] 20s that will fit fine. Have the Toyos and enjoying them thoroughly.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Our X5 is going in tomorrow to get the 20" Michelin Latitudes...

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Let me know how they work out on your X5...
We're very happy with the new Michelin Latitudes (20" A/S, mounted on the OEM rims in staggered widths). They're quiet (the OEM Dunlops were horribly loud) and the ride has even improved. There is an ever-so-slight handling penalty, I believe (it just feels a bit "softer"), but probably not enough that most people would even notice.

By the time we paid to have them shipped/mounted/balanced, it was a $1600 investment, but I think it was worth it. I'll be curious to see how they handle the snow this winter. It might make me wish I would have done this before investing in a second set of 19" snows.

·
CGP25
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We're very happy with the new Michelin Latitudes (20" A/S, mounted on the OEM rims in staggered widths). They're quiet (the OEM Dunlops were horribly loud) and the ride has even improved. There is an ever-so-slight handling penalty, I believe (it just feels a bit "softer"), but probably not enough that most people would even notice.

By the time we paid to have them shipped/mounted/balanced, it was a $1600 investment, but I think it was worth it. I'll be curious to see how they handle the snow this winter. It might make me wish I would have done this before investing in a second set of 19" snows.
I just brought my X5 into the dealer. They said that because the Michelin Lat Tours are NOT BMW OEM approved, they cannot put them on my car. Anyone else run into this?

I'm not going to put the Dunlap Maxx tires on, but they suggested the Bridgestone Deuler HP RFT's. They have a longer treadlife than the Dunlaps, but as NOT long as the Lat tours. Anyone have any experience with the Deulers?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I just brought my X5 into the dealer. They said that because the Michelin Lat Tours are NOT BMW OEM approved, they cannot put them on my car. Anyone else run into this?

I'm not going to put the Dunlap Maxx tires on, but they suggested the Bridgestone Deuler HP RFT's. They have a longer treadlife than the Dunlaps, but as NOT long as the Lat tours. Anyone have any experience with the Deulers?
That's strange... I got mine swapped at the dealer. In fact, they ordered them (from Tire Rack) for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you could tell us if the car behaves differently when you throw it into turns? is it squishier? has the road-feel decreased?

P.S i can't wait to get rid of my dunlops

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you could tell us if the car behaves differently when you throw it into turns? is it squishier? has the road-feel decreased?

P.S i can't wait to get rid of my dunlops

Thanks again
A tad, yes... but nothing more than that. Now that we've had the new tires for a bit, I can only say that I wish we wouldn't have waited so long. I hated those Dunlops from the beginning.

·
CGP25
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I finally replaced my Dunlaps with the Bridgestone Deuler HP RFT's. The noise is the same as the Dunlaps, but with a better treadwear rating.

However, there is a LARGE difference in the cornering between the Dunlap MAXX and the BRSTE Deuler's. More sway in X5 around the twisties.

But, happy that I will be able to stretch these tires 5-10K more miles than the MAXX tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts