BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. I just wanted to find out if anyone knew of any programs coming out in august that might be more advantageous on a 4 series lease. Right now the residual isn't great (57%), so any assistance will help!

·
Registered
973 Posts
No one knows what the program will be August. I assume that they will raise the residuals on the 2016s when the 2017s hit the ground.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, sometimes poster. I just wanted to find out if anyone knew of any programs coming out in august that might be more advantageous on a 4 series lease. Right now the residual isn't great (57%), so any assistance will help!
Where are you getting 57% as the residual on a 4 series? I just calculated it from the BMW website and I got 63% for a 2016 435... unless you are talking about 2017 440s, which I believe are that much lower.

No one knows what the new programs might be, but I would not expect the inflated (not bad) residuals on the 2017s until BMW feels they need to be aggressively moving those.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I believe OP is talking about 2017. That residual is not going to improve for a while. You may be lucky in December but I doubt it as they probably will still have a few 2016s on the lots.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, thanks for the replies! Zoom, you are correct, I was referring to 2017s. I figured that there wouldn't be too much solid info but I'm winding down my search and wanted to do my due diligence.

So far here's what I've got so far:
2017 430i
Msrp 43395
Invoice 41101
Sale price 40000
Residual 57%
Mf .00137
Tax 6%
Mileage 10000

Base rate + tax: 541.00
Drive offs: $2000 (including tax, tag, acq fee, and 1st mo payment)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, I'm an idiot and missed a 2016 build by 2 weeks. I tried to find a manual 428, but there were 13 in the US and none had the stuff I wanted. Womp womp.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Your Pricing looks good, but you did not mention fees. Your location says florida, so are you buying out of state or do you have to pay the high florida doc fee? Looks like you got the sale price under invoice... is that before or after any incentives? 2017 invoice calculations are different than 2016 (and I did not check your numbers but assume you did).

I doubt you will see much better on residuals on 2017s in august, BUT (and this is important) we are all just guessing as you know. If it makes you feel any better, I think the residual on my 435 I leased in January is either 57 or 58%. They dont seem to set the 4 series residuals as aggressive as the 3 series. I dont think you are getting "burned" at all by the residual on the 2017... you just are not getting to take advantage of the highly inflated 2016 residuals.

On the upside, if you decide to keep the car, it might actually be close(er) to worth the residual :thumbup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your Pricing looks good, but you did not mention fees. Your location says florida, so are you buying out of state or do you have to pay the high florida doc fee? Looks like you got the sale price under invoice... is that before or after any incentives? 2017 invoice calculations are different than 2016 (and I did not check your numbers but assume you did).

I doubt you will see much better on residuals on 2017s in august, BUT (and this is important) we are all just guessing as you know. If it makes you feel any better, I think the residual on my 435 I leased in January is either 58 or 58%. They dont seem to set the 4 series residuals as aggressive as the 3 series. I dont think you are getting "burned" at all by the residual on the 2017... you just are not getting to take advantage of the highly inflated 2016 residuals.

On the upside, if you decide to keep the car, it might actually be close(er) to worth the residual :thumbup:
JJ I totally agree, from what I've been able to find, the hard truth is that the 4 just doesn't get the same promotions as the 3 or 5. In fact, I could cut my monthly by almost 100 just by the better residual on the 5. The only caveat is that had I made the 2016 cut off, the residual would have been 61%.

The sale price is after all incentives except my CCA rebate :thumbup:

As far as the fees are concerned, the way the deal was presented (it remains to be seen if they are being truthful) was that the drive offs include the fees which are the Dealer/doc fee, license, florida fee, tag fee etc. I will say that I should be able to knock off about 350 more from the drive off cash due to some over estimations on the tag fee and registration fee. In addition to the fees, the drive off also includes the tax and 1st month's payment.

The only wrinkle I can see at the moment is that there was no mention of the acquisition fee, but on my previous deal with this dealer, it was either included in the sale price and not itemized, or subsumed by the "Dealer Services Fee" which is very large per florida.

We'll see what happens, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few others just to make sure I haven't left any cards on the table.

LAST QUESTION TO ALL (sorry for the book)

Driver assistance, worth it on a 4 coupe? I figure with the long doors it might be tough to pull my usual trick of opening the driver door when backing in.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
JJ I totally agree, from what I've been able to find, the hard truth is that the 4 just doesn't get the same promotions as the 3 or 5. In fact, I could cut my monthly by almost 100 just by the better residual on the 5. The only caveat is that had I made the 2016 cut off, the residual would have been 61%.

The sale price is after all incentives except my CCA rebate :thumbup:

As far as the fees are concerned, the way the deal was presented (it remains to be seen if they are being truthful) was that the drive offs include the fees which are the Dealer/doc fee, license, florida fee, tag fee etc. I will say that I should be able to knock off about 350 more from the drive off cash due to some over estimations on the tag fee and registration fee. In addition to the fees, the drive off also includes the tax and 1st month's payment.

The only wrinkle I can see at the moment is that there was no mention of the acquisition fee, but on my previous deal with this dealer, it was either included in the sale price and not itemized, or subsumed by the "Dealer Services Fee" which is very large per florida.

We'll see what happens, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few others just to make sure I haven't left any cards on the table.

LAST QUESTION TO ALL (sorry for the book)

Driver assistance, worth it on a 4 coupe? I figure with the long doors it might be tough to pull my usual trick of opening the driver door when backing in.
I have DA and DA+ on my GC, and actually wrote a review somewhere here on Bimmerfest of all the features of DA and DA+ as it relates to the GC. With that being said, I think the backup, and top view cameras (along with PDC) is totally worth it (so Drivers assist, I think is worth it).

DA+, is, well, I should just find my review and link it to you. If I were ordering again, I would totally get DA, and then I think I would order top and side cameras separate, instead of Drivers assist +.

EDIT:

here is the thread where I posted a review of DA+... May or may not be relevant to you since you were just asking about DA and not DA+ but /shrug.. you might find it useful. Its post #8 in this thread:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9629548

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JJ that was very helpful. The BMW configurator is not particularly descriptive about driver assist, describing it as backup cam and park distance sensors. No mention of the front end collision avoidance which you would think they might highlight haha. I completely agree with you review, the DA+ was only really appealing to me for the extra cameras but for me I can't justify the cost. Keep in mind I'm the guy that opens my door to back in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I misread the review ... No active collision avoidance on DA

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I misread the review ... No active collision avoidance on DA
Right.. all of that stuff is in DA+. The thread I linked to was about a user who wanted the "active driving assistant" features of DA+ and as you said there is not a lot of info out there about how it actually works. I Really, really love the cameras though. Both the rear view (and park distance control), and the top view, as I said in my review. I have been living with them since January, and love the top view camera even more than I did when I wrote the review. it really helps inspire confidence in parking, as I mentioned.

I have found that my m sport bumper is lower than the average cement block, so you are either backing in to every spot (possible, but does seem to annoy some people, and my car is somewhat flashy enough so I dont want to inspire anyone to do anything to it), or worrying about the cement blocks.

For what its worth, I am not even sure you CAN open the door and drive the car in a BMW. I am fairly certain you can not do it over a certain MPH that is pretty low going forward. Not sure if that applies going backwards, or if you can do it. Might want to check into that, if opening the door while you back up is a need.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In an auto that's true, in fact, the moment you open the door it goes in park. Fortunately, I'm one of the 6 remaining manual drivers so no electronic nannies for me! I think I'm going to do the DA anyway, with the doors as long as they are, I may avoid curb rash but rip off a door in the process so...

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
In an auto that's true, in fact, the moment you open the door it goes in park. Fortunately, I'm one of the 6 remaining manual drivers so no electronic nannies for me! I think I'm going to do the DA anyway, with the doors as long as they are, I may avoid curb rash but rip off a door in the process so...
Ahh thats right I forgot you said manual. Lol, I can drive manual (and actually like to) but I havent for years. I taught my girlfriend (now wife of 30 years) how to "drive a stick" Back in the day, you used to have to pay extra for automatic, which I could not afford. Then. I got older and COULD afford it (and driving a stick in southern cali traffic can sometimes be tiresome), so I got automatics.

I am very embarrassed to say that my son, who is 23 can not drive a manual, as I have not owned one during any time that he could have learned to drive it.

Im just happy that we still get to "drive" because I have a sneaking suspicion that, sometimes in the next 20 years or so, the steering wheel will be taken away from us as drivers due to "driverless car" technology.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh thats right I forgot you said manual. Lol, I can drive manual (and actually like to) but I havent for years. I taught my girlfriend (now wife of 30 years) how to "drive a stick" Back in the day, you used to have to pay extra for automatic, which I could not afford. Then. I got older and COULD afford it (and driving a stick in southern cali traffic can sometimes be tiresome), so I got automatics.

I am very embarrassed to say that my son, who is 23 can not drive a manual, as I have not owned one during any time that he could have learned to drive it.

Im just happy that we still get to "drive" because I have a sneaking suspicion that, sometimes in the next 20 years or so, the steering wheel will be taken away from us as drivers due to "driverless car" technology.
I hear you. My first car was a stick, second and third were not, and when I finally had enough money to buy something from this decade I went back. South Florida is not nearly as bad for traffic. My wife and I were out your way a few months ago and could not believe how bad it is.

I do think you're right about the driverless cars, which is sad because losing the "experience" will only be the first step. Once things become automated, you know that politicians will regulate away the ability to speed, and possibly the ability to select your own route (citing the public benefit of route dispersion). So every time a Tesla has an issue with autopilot, I get excited because it means that much longer I'm still in control.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts