BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guys, I'm picking up my 435i next monday and I'm super excited. This is my first BMW and I was a little annoyed by the fact that it didn't offer a remote start. Even you basic Honda has it as an option. Anyways, I noticed that their site says they have remote services controlled through the My BMW app that allows you to control some functions of the car. One of them is preconditioning which will heat up your car, defrost your windshield, turn on your heated seats, etc. After reading online I can't seem to find a solid answer if this is supported in the 435i. Some sites say yes, others say not in the USA. Can anybody who has a 4 series confirm if this is supported or not? I would assume since they have it that they would include it in their latest models, but you never know. I guess you could also assume that a luxury car would also have remote start.

Honestly, if it doesn't have this ability it might be a deal breaker for me. I don't know if I want to go through 3 winters getting into an ice box every morning.

Also, if it does have it, but it's not supported in the USA do you think it's possible to get the European version of the app and get it to work?

Thanks for the help

John

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi John,

I just took possession of my 435 on Tuesday. I have downloaded the BMW app and it does not feature remote start nor does it have preconditioning. I'm not sure if downloading a euro version of the app will solve your problem. While I am disappointed in the app not having preconditioning or remote start, it is a lot of fun to drive. Also notable is that the seats heat up extremely fast, along with the steering wheel. It has been cold here all week and I've been very impressed.

Hopefully this helps.

Jake
Posted from my iPad

· Registered
413 Posts
No. I was disappointed too on my f30. Cheapest cars even have that as an option. Unfortunately there's no way around it.

Past couple of days its been 24F in NY and it's a pain to go out start the car and come back in or sit in a frozen seat when leaving work even tho the seats warm up fast but its not fast enough on the f30.

Also u have to sit to even start the car since u have to press the brake. My dad teases me with his fords remote start every morning !!!

Poor choice by BMW. I'm not even sure if higher end models have that option. I believe 5 series and above have stock remote start or part of convenience package

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

· Registered
571 Posts
outside of cadillac, i dont think ANY of the premium brands offer remote start. I dont think there are many S-Class or 7 Series owners who leave their cars out in the elements...

· Registered
96 Posts
Anyone will tell you that the best way to warm up an engine (and the car interior) is to drive it. Any other way, all you are doing is wasting gas

· Registered
120 Posts
Anyone will tell you that the best way to warm up an engine (and the car interior) is to drive it. Any other way, all you are doing is wasting gas
Not anyone who owns a vehicle with remote start! The best way to warm or cool the interior of a vehicle is remotely... This way it's already done by the time you arrive.

The other nicety of having a remote start is you can leave your car running while you run into a store for a moment. When you arrive you just activate the remote start before shutting off the vehicle. At this point you remove the key, get out and lock the car/arm alarm while your car is running.

Both of the above help the car because I never really have to shut down before getting completely warmed up. Otherwise I'm getting in the car and driving 120 seconds to 7-eleven and shutting the car back down while I run inside.

To the OP... I think the lack of remote start is a concession to the enviromentalists.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could live without actually remote starting the vehicle as long as there was a way to heat it up. From what I gather, BMW offers this option in Europe apparently so with an auxiliary heating unit. I don't know why they would remove it for USA models.

· Registered
571 Posts
I could live without actually remote starting the vehicle as long as there was a way to heat it up. From what I gather, BMW offers this option in Europe apparently so with an auxiliary heating unit. I don't know why they would remove it for USA models.
I would imagine most BMW owners in the US have garages. I don't. But most probably do.

Garages arent as common in europe.

· Registered
571 Posts
You street park?
I live in a complex where the garages are a ways away and thus, yeah, out in the elements she goes. That being said, South Carolina is relatively mild.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
I have been starting my car on the street in Manhattan for close to 20 years and I have never seen this law enforced.
I'm sure you haven't... I have seen it enforced though. Not on myself but on others.

A Summons (Parking Violation, TR: *99(n)(5) - Unattended Vehicle )

B Summons (Traffic Violations Bureau, VTL: 12-10(a) - Unattended Vehicle (Motor On) )

C Summons (Criminal Court (Summons Appearance Part), AC: 10-111(a) - Unattended Running Vehicle) )

Just a heads up...

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the preconditioning option on my app is usable on my 435.

What I did before the app is start the car and lock the doors..run in make coffee and then come back out.
Really? How does is it available for you but not for RhapX? This is through the My Remote app right? Did you get in on iOS or Android? I really hope it works for me too. You just downloaded the regular version from the app / Play store right? Not the European version.

Can you elaborate more on how it works? What things can it actually turn on? Heated seats / steering wheel? Heat interior temp?

Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.