Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Apologies if this is a long post, I'm not very experienced with f30's(or cars at a high level at all really, as I only recently picked it up a few months ago), but im going to try and lay out all the information I can.

For the last 3 months I've been having issues some issues with my car throwing a few different warning lights on the dash. Those are: chasies stabilization, FTM monitor, Steering and check engine. The other main symptom is at times when the steering light is on, the steering goes stiff. These issues sometimes go away after restarting the car one or multiple times.

You can read more about the initial issues I was having on my first post about this all here on bimmerpost: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26424829#post26424829.

TLDR: took the car to a indy shop I dont know well, pulled codes, changed battery and brake lamp switch, no change.

Since then, I took it over to my usual indy shop (was closed when the issue first came up but has since opened, only reason I took it to the other shop).

We didnt get far here, they pulled a bunch of codes from the car before the weekend and gave the car back to me and are now looking at options. What they told me is its likely the ICM module. This would make sense as allot of the codes are related to this module, but some also have nothing to do with it aswell. I do also see some codes in there outlining "FlexRay" faults, aswell as under voltage faults, so I dont know if that means its something higher level or if its just trickle down from one single failed module.

While this is a shop I do trust I feel like this could be a very high level electronic issue that even a good indy shop might not be able to fully diagnose. And I'm just worried we're going to start going down a road of replacing modules when there could be another larger issues (bad ground, etc?) So I'm hoping you guys can help with a few different things:

1) Based on the codes shown, is there anything you see as a very likely contender to be an issue, or something that can easily be checked without replacing a part?

2) Is there anything I should be checking that the shop has done/is doing to properly diagnose this problem that will help me determine if these are the right people for the job and or steer them in the right direction?

3) With an issue like this, am I best to go to the dealership? Or will this result in a very empty wallet.

I'm attaching the codes pulled by the shop below, you'll notice the code timeline goes back 3.8 weeks, this 3.8 week period was the timeframe since I had first taken it to the initial shop and had the codes cleared and battery changed etc. So hopefully this is a good indicator of issues directly related to the problem.

They did also provide a log of codes from when the cleared the codes, took it for a very short test drive, then pulled codes again, and there is about half the codes that were there before. If its more helpful for me to post those (as maybe it will help determine the root of the problem as they were the ones that fired first) please let me know.

I'm very lost at this point, as it seems the shop dosent have a very good idea of whats going on yet, and I feel like this is going to end up being very expensive, so I'm hoping someone could provide some clarity.

CODES:
https://imgur.com/a/iGlGRjX

Thanks so much in advanced :)

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Is the car on its original battery perhaps? A failing battery will result in all sorts of crazy codes and behavior. If yes I would start with a new battery that is properly charged, reset all codes, drive it, see what comes back.

·
Registered
890 Posts
First some stored fault codes are not serious and may be generated because of some other fault. Second, it seems that the steering problem is the one that bothers you the most. Has a mechanic looked at the power steering pump and steering mechanism to assure it is work. Finally, you may need to go to a dealer (or another Indy) to get a second opinion. You need a diagnosis, not someone who just throw parts at the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the car on its original battery perhaps? A failing battery will result in all sorts of crazy codes and behavior. If yes I would start with a new battery that is properly charged, reset all codes, drive it, see what comes back.
Battery was the first thing that was done. At the first dealership, followed by the break lamp switch. Have this noted above, no change afterwards unfortunately :(

First some stored fault codes are not serious and may be generated because of some other fault. Second, it seems that the steering problem is the one that bothers you the most. Has a mechanic looked at the power steering pump and steering mechanism to assure it is work. Finally, you may need to go to a dealer (or another Indy) to get a second opinion. You need a diagnosis, not someone who just throw parts at the problem.
I'm currently on my second indy shop, might end up taking it to a dealer. The power steering issues is only an issue sometimes caused by the other codes, you can see more details on this in my first post I have linked in the thread. But yes I agree, I'm hoping to find someone who can properly diagnose the issue however the nature/inconsistency of it seems to make this difficult.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would revisit the battery.

You said in your post that you're using an indy shop correct?

Did they install the correct battery?
Did they register the battery in the DME?

Failing to do both items above could contribute to the electronic faults that you mentioned. Also do you have a piggyback tune like a JB4? Bad connections especially power or ground could also be your culprit.

For an entire winter I would get a low battery warning when starting my car. I ignored it because the car would crank every time and things seemed fine. The only sign things were amiss was a chassis stabilization warning that would appear every month or so. Finally when the weather began to get warm I started fueling with e85 and connected the laptop to record some data. As a habbit I scan for codes every time I connect the pc. Low and behold I was greeted by 40+ codes for all manor of electronic faults.

Soooooo while its possible you have another issue like a bad ground, electronic gremlins, etc. I would highly recommend checking the battery issue again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply there, the battery has been checked pretty extensively by all parties who've looked at the car. Was a brand new battery and was coded to the car properly and everything, it appears to be fine and still no luck. :(

I would revisit the battery.

You said in your post that you're using an indy shop correct?

Did they install the correct battery?
Did they register the battery in the DME?

Failing to do both items above could contribute to the electronic faults that you mentioned. Also do you have a piggyback tune like a JB4? Bad connections especially power or ground could also be your culprit.

For an entire winter I would get a low battery warning when starting my car. I ignored it because the car would crank every time and things seemed fine. The only sign things were amiss was a chassis stabilization warning that would appear every month or so. Finally when the weather began to get warm I started fueling with e85 and connected the laptop to record some data. As a habbit I scan for codes every time I connect the pc. Low and behold I was greeted by 40+ codes for all manor of electronic faults.

Soooooo while its possible you have another issue like a bad ground, electronic gremlins, etc. I would highly recommend checking the battery issue again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts