Bimmerfest BMW banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just got my X5 e40. My EV range seems very short--only 6miles. The battery went down so fast. Do the car has any issue?
6 miles on 100% full charge seems a bit low. What is your weather and driving conditions?

The major drains on the high voltage battery other than the motor are heating/cooling the passengers and heating/cooling the high voltage batteries. Do you set schedule your car to automatically precondition and acclimate the car? It starts around 3 hours before the set time and pre heats/cools the car using the plug in electric which means less expenditure of the high voltage battery when driving. HOWEVER, I have noticed that prior to the March 2017 firmware update, on a cold day, even 240 VAC 16A electric is not enough to fully precondition my X5 40e. If I scheduled departure time at 6:30 am and actually drive off at 6:30 am on a below freezing day, the battery might only be around 80-90% charged. Then after the firmware update, in similarly cold conditions, the car would indicate 100% fully charged. I have always wondered whether the battery was actually fully charged or whether it was just indicating full charge when it isn't. My personal habit is to schedule the time about 15-20 mins earlier than actual departure to give the battery a little extra charging time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smashmonkey, thanks for the help.

I lived in California. The weather is not cold at all. I did turned on AC as my default setting and did set up yet for preconditioning (it is not cold here).

BTW, I set "comfort" driving mode but not ECO PRO. Will it be the issue?

I do not drive aggressively but the battery level just drop rapidly on me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Smashmonkey, thanks for the help.

I lived in California. The weather is not cold at all. I did turned on AC as my default setting and did set up yet for preconditioning (it is not cold here).

BTW, I set "comfort" driving mode but not ECO PRO. Will it be the issue?

I do not drive aggressively but the battery level just drop rapidly on me.
6 miles on a full charge doesn't sound right. Is it all uphill? It's 40F for me and I'm still getting around 14 miles on full charge even with heat on. I use Comfort and Auto eDrive most of the time. AC is a heat pump and doesn't use that much electric.

Call BMW iConcierge (855) 236-1025 and ask them. They are a subdivision of BMW Genius that handle the PHEV/EV cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smashmoney,

THX. Just sent in my new X5 to dealer to check. I do not drive all uphill...actually from my house to the place I went is mostly down hill. I did turn on the AC but at this season the AC does not really need to work hard. Let's see what will happen. The service guy said they will charge it overnight and test it tomorrow morning. The possible issue could be the battery is not fully charged (but the system says so) or the system setting is not right and drain the battery too fast.
BTW, I really like to car. I had the 2002 X5 for many years (I still have it for my son). The 40e is really smooth and fun to drive. I also have the dealer to install the hitch which is a special one for 40e so I can load my bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Question for the group on the best mode to drive...

My drive to the airport is about 35 miles. I leave home with a full charge and charge where I park at the airport, so also leave there with a full charge. The route I take is mostly flat, with just a few rolling hills. I normally use a toll road for about 20 miles of that, where the speed limit is 80. I'd guess without traffic I go about 85; if I hit rush hour that is more in the 50-60 range (it does occasionally slow or even stop in spots). Yea the toll road does cost about $5 each way, but worth it -v- dealing with Austin traffic.

From home I have about 10 miles before I get to that road. From the airport maybe 2.

So far I've mostly tried to get the battery down to 2-3 bars, and put in all-battery mode for the last few miles.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I heard people said it's reliable.

Personally I'd prefer to have the access to the details of EVSE, so I'll probably get JuiceBox Pro 40 once getting the NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage. Still waiting for my electrician to set the date.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Question for the group on the best mode to drive...

My drive to the airport is about 35 miles. I leave home with a full charge and charge where I park at the airport, so also leave there with a full charge. The route I take is mostly flat, with just a few rolling hills. I normally use a toll road for about 20 miles of that, where the speed limit is 80. I'd guess without traffic I go about 85; if I hit rush hour that is more in the 50-60 range (it does occasionally slow or even stop in spots). Yea the toll road does cost about $5 each way, but worth it -v- dealing with Austin traffic.

From home I have about 10 miles before I get to that road. From the airport maybe 2.

So far I've mostly tried to get the battery down to 2-3 bars, and put in all-battery mode for the last few miles.

Any thoughts?

I found it's tricky to plan the trips longer than 14-miles.

Within 14, I'm riding with the Max e with Normal if I can charge it in the destination. If there is no way to get the full charge in the end, I'll just use Auto with Eco; when returning, I'll use Save with Normal in Highway speed, and Auto with Eco in Local. "Local" in NYC has tons of stop and go. In rush hours, "Highway" is also stop and go.

If the trip is more than 14, I probably use Auto with Eco in the first 80% of battery, then Save with Normal in Highway speed, and Auto with Eco in Local.

I'll switch to Auto with Normal when the battery level reaches about 50%.

I have to admit that this car does save me the trips to the gas station. After I got 40e, my first visit to the gas station was a month later with 800+ miles. But, once I take the longer trips, the MPG in this 40e is worse than my previous 30i after the battery has no juice. I'd say that this 2.0 liter engine has sufficient power to handle most of road conditions I have. And the engine is loud, maybe the noise and MPG are all because this 2.0 needs to work harder to move this heavy X5.

I'm still trying to figure out how to move 40e more efficiently when the battery is insufficient to move the car alone.

I really hope the next 40e can come with the much bigger capacity of battery. 9KW is a joke.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I found it's tricky to plan the trips longer than 14-miles.... I'll switch to Auto with Normal when the battery level reaches about 50%
Aren't you basically describing the default behavior in the newer 530e with its target retained charge, configurable in iDrive? I think the 5er does that automagically now. Of course, that's a couple years of little innovations, compared to our X5s.

I really hope the next 40e can come with the much bigger capacity of battery. 9KW is a joke.
IMHO, calling 9kW "a joke" is pretty strong. I've basically landed at 30/40+ (hwy/city), with the + being a factor of how long those trips are. Somebody here is getting 1600mpg. I'll never see that, but I can definitely get into the hundreds. Then I drive 80 miles and it comes back to reality. That's about 3x the mileage of my last SUV, and comparable to a great economy car. I'm happy.

'Bout a year ago, these forums (myself included) proposed that BMW should make a 2019 X5 xDrive45e with the new Samsung SDI modules, and also create a CPO battery upgrade path for the existing units, much like the BMW i3 battery upgrade path today:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961158

·
Registered
231 Posts
Aren't you basically describing the default behavior in the newer 530e with its target retained charge, configurable in iDrive? I think the 5er does that automagically now. Of course, that's a couple years of little innovations, compared to our X5s.

IMHO, calling 9kW "a joke" is pretty strong. I've basically landed at 30/40+ (hwy/city), with the + being a factor of how long those trips are. Somebody here is getting 1600mpg. I'll never see that, but I can definitely get into the hundreds. Then I drive 80 miles and it comes back to reality. That's about 3x the mileage of my last SUV, and comparable to a great economy car. I'm happy.

'Bout a year ago, these forums (myself included) proposed that BMW should make a 2019 X5 xDrive45e with the new Samsung SDI modules, and also create a CPO battery upgrade path for the existing units, much like the BMW i3 battery upgrade path today:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961158
Thanks for the info. I do look forward the new things for the next X5 e models.

With the battery, mine is doing pretty well too. High MPG can also be achieved.

My problem is what the best driving strategies I should have while the battery is depleted.

With the battery depletion, the local ride MPG will suffer from the heavy traffic and traffic signals.

I just hope -
* the battery size can be expanded,
* the gasoline engine can be more efficient when working alone,
* and the BMW can come up with something which can help better optimize and balance two power.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Question -

Does everyone's 40e always display the full battery after the overnight charge?

I'm using the BMW generic charging cable/kit from the car.

Earlier today mine showed 99%, and the BMW Connected App keeps showing CHARGING status -
15 mi/100%
100% AT 09:27 AM

When I checked back at 09:30 AM, the status became -
15 mi/100%
100% AT 10:15 AM

It seems the percentage is stuck in 99% forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
40e Range and MPG

Hi guys -

Learning tremendous amount from the forum and had a question while comparing my results vs other members.

FIrst off - My car will always have temperature control on heat and occasional heated seats. It also has all the safety features on (Lane departure, blindspot, etc)

I currently live in North NJ where the weather has been brutal with temperature in single digits.

now the question is - I have never gotten 14 miles with Max eDrive. Is it due to temperature? the way i drive? I have yet to exceed 7-8 miles with Max eDrive(mix of Comfort and Eco Pro) , mind me I do not slam on Accelerator and fairly conscious with coasting and braking.

Another inquiry is the MPG when the battery is depleted.

Should the car be getting 9-11 MPG when driving auto/comfort mode with 3% battery?

That seems awfully low to me and wanted to get an opinion from the experts! AKA Guyinacar

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Guys

I'm also leave in NJ and coming to NYC via FDR drive.
In the morning I heat a car 40 min prior start the driving
Then I activate Max Drive and Eco Pro heated seats heated steering but I'm not activated heat battery is preheated and in car is worm.
Drive to work battery about 12 miles then I activate AUTO and Comfort mode
Driving until my parking when battery shows 10 % I activate Max again and Eco pro driving to my parking about 3/4 mile
Charging at work until battery full .I preheat the car 40 min before I leave work
On my way back I have about 11 to 12 miles depends on the traffic
My car is one year old
Currently weather is very cold but before I use to have 16 -16.5 miles on electric charg

·
Registered
235 Posts
I currently live in North NJ where the weather has been brutal with temperature in single digits.

now the question is - I have never gotten 14 miles with Max eDrive. Is it due to temperature? the way i drive? I have yet to exceed 7-8 miles with Max eDrive(mix of Comfort and Eco Pro) , mind me I do not slam on Accelerator and fairly conscious with coasting and braking.
In summer I get around 14 miles EV range. In winter in NJ, it's closer to 10 miles range. Like humans, chemical batteries don't like the cold. Likely all the battery power is being used to heat up the high voltage battery and the cabin. Schedule preconditioning the battery and preheating the cabin for your morning departure time so it draws power from the wall outlet instead of the battery.

Do you have a level 2 EVSE? In cold weather a level 1 EVSE does not supply enough power to fully precondition the battery and cabin in addition to charge the battery. As a result it will drain power from the battery.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/12/bmw-i3-psa-no-there-is-nothing-wrong_8.html

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/03/bmw-i3-understanding-how.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do have Level2 at home.And car preheat takes about 30 min.
After battery shows 90% of charge.That’s why I use another 15 min .
So when I start driving the battery shows 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
In summer I get around 14 miles EV range. In winter in NJ, it's closer to 10 miles range. Like humans, chemical batteries don't like the cold. Likely all the battery power is being used to heat up the high voltage battery and the cabin. Schedule preconditioning the battery and preheating the cabin for your morning departure time so it draws power from the wall outlet instead of the battery.

Do you have a level 2 EVSE? In cold weather a level 1 EVSE does not supply enough power to fully precondition the battery and cabin in addition to charge the battery. As a result it will drain power from the battery.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/12/bmw-i3-psa-no-there-is-nothing-wrong_8.html

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/03/bmw-i3-understanding-how.html
I do have Level2 at home.And car preheat takes about 30 min.
After battery shows 90% of charge.That***8217;s why I use another 15 min .
So when I start driving the battery shows 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. This may explain why my battery stays with 99% forever, especially while using Level 1 charger in such cold day. The garage is around 40-50 F.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi guys -

Learning tremendous amount from the forum and had a question while comparing my results vs other members.

FIrst off - My car will always have temperature control on heat and occasional heated seats. It also has all the safety features on (Lane departure, blindspot, etc)

Another inquiry is the MPG when the battery is depleted.

Should the car be getting 9-11 MPG when driving auto/comfort mode with 3% battery?

That seems awfully low to me and wanted to get an opinion from the experts! AKA Guyinacar

Thank you for the help!
I'm also leave in NJ and coming to NYC via FDR drive.
In the morning I heat a car 40 min prior start the driving
Then I activate Max Drive and Eco Pro heated seats heated steering but I'm not activated heat battery is preheated and in car is worm.
Drive to work battery about 12 miles then I activate AUTO and Comfort mode
Driving until my parking when battery shows 10 % I activate Max again and Eco pro driving to my parking about 3/4 mile
Charging at work until battery full .I preheat the car 40 min before I leave work
On my way back I have about 11 to 12 miles depends on the traffic
My car is one year old
Currently weather is very cold but before I use to have 16 -16.5 miles on electric charg

You guys are not alone, and I believe this cold weather got me 30 ~ 50% performance decrease if comparing with my previous trip.

For example, I have one routine ride about 11.6 miles, mixed with the highway 8 miles and local 3.6 miles, outsides Manhattan. Before this winter storm in NE, I used 6.45 ~ 8 kWH for the whole trip when there's no traffic jam. In these days, my Max e with Normal (Comfort) will only do 8 ~ 9 miles.

181 - 200 of 226 Posts