BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Steve
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some great pro and con advice.… Looking at comparably equipped 4 series convertible with only significant difference being 4 cylinder v 6 cylinder. The 4 is in a color combo I really like - portimao blue and black leather. MSRP about $66k. The 6 cylinder is in a color combo I like (but not really like) - Black Saphire and Tacora Red. MSRP about $72k.

My question is compromise a little on power or on looks? Tough call and will be driving both to get a feel. Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
The 440i is actually an "M440i," meaning that the engine is not only larger (the "40" part) but that it's a tweaked version of the larger engine (the "M" prefix).

The M440i will sound way better when the top is down. A six-cylinder has a pleasant "bark," where a four-cylinder has an annoying drone. The inherent vibration of four-cylinders is eliminated by balance shafts.

There's a "Sport Display" on the iDrive that shows virtual gauges for power and torque. It also holds a peak reading for a few seconds with a marker. The four-cylinder will produce about 250 h.p. of power and about 250 lb-ft of torque. The six-cylinder will produce about 380 h.p. and about 380 lb-ft of torque. It you max out the four-cylinder's capacity driving like you want to drive, then you'd probably be happier with the six-cylinder. If you like getting better MPG and having $6k in your pocket, you'd probably be happier with the four-cylinder.

I currently have a 535i (300 h.p. and 300 lb-ft of torque). When I bought it, I wouldn't consider buying a $65k car with a four-cylinder engine. But, I ordered Frau Putzer's X3 30i with the four-cylinder. The X3's about the same weight as my 535i. Based on the sufficient power and torque and the amazing fuel economy of the X3, my next BMW will be either a 330i or a 530i. There's a 75 mile stretch of interstate on my way to BMW of Bubbaville, since a loose barge took out a bridge in the last hurricane. On that stretch of interstate, a 330i loaner got 40 MPG at around 77 MPH.

If I was going to buy a 380 h.p. car and use that power, I'd want an integral roof over me... for when I flip the car.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I’d never compromise. When you buy an expensive car, you buy exactly what you want and never think about it again. Anything else is a recipe for dissatisfaction.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I’d never compromise. When you buy an expensive car, you buy exactly what you want and never think about it again. Anything else is a recipe for dissatisfaction.
Then why are you driving a 435i CG instead of an M8 GC?

There's a photo floating around the Interwebs of Tim Cook (CEO of Apple) hitting Starbucks. He's driving what is either a 528i or a 535d (which was badged as a 530d in Europe). He can afford a more expensive car, but he bought what he wanted.

When I went car shopping in 2013, Plan A was to get an M5. But, after flogging them on a track for two days, I decided to get a 535i instead, spend the $50k I'd save on something else, and save ~1400 gallons of gasoline over 100k miles.

When "we" went car shopping for a Frauwagen in 2018, "we" could have bought anything from an Hyundai Tucson to a BMW X1, to a BMW X5M. "We" decided that the X3 30i did all the things "we" wanted a Frauwagen to do, including good fuel economy. With mostly short hops around town, it's got 25.2 MPG since new. On the one mostly-interstate road trip it's been on, it got 31.4 MPG.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Then why are you driving a 435i CG instead of an M8 GC?
I was addressing the OP’s question and encouraging a custom order to get the color and options he really wants for the money he’s already willing to spend vs. compromising on something off the lot. Both my BMWs are custom orders that also have nearly no options missing for this reason.

To the question of the M8 GC, yes, the M8 GC is a great car but it would have been out of my budget when I bought the 4, and the model didn’t exist then. Since I just got a 2021 X5, I’d go all out sports car on my 435i GC replacement and go to a 911 GT3. One of the promises I made myself was to keep each car longer after I bought it exactly like I wanted it - I absolutely love my 435i GC coming up on 5 years.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I'm with you on the factory orders. I also tend to check off a lot of the boxes on the ordering forms when spec'ing a car.

I factory ordered my Chevy Cobalt...14 years ago. I still have it. When it came in, Chevrolet of Bubbaville tried to add $400 in "processing fees." I showed them the check for our agreed price made out to "Chevrolet of Bubbaville or A. Putzer," and said one of us will be depositing it. I also told them good luck selling a lot-bunny Cobalt with leather seats and a manual transmission.

I spent that $50k I saved by not buying an M5 on Advanced M School(s) and Porsche driving schools. GT3's are as good as it gets. With that low nose and no spare tire they'd be hard to live with, though. I was planning on getting a Carrera or Carrera S the next time around. But, there's no spare tire available for the 992's. There was for the 991's. So, I guess I'll be driving to Porsche schools in a 330i or 530i.

We're getting 10+ years and 100k+ miles out of our cars lately.

·
Steve
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tomorrow I’ll be checking out the 440. I did a build online and it’s speced as I would order it, just not first choice of colors. Going to be I tereting to see how this all works. 😎

Reactions: kjx

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,617 Posts
Need some great pro and con advice.… Looking at comparably equipped 4 series convertible with only significant difference being 4 cylinder v 6 cylinder. The 4 is in a color combo I really like - portimao blue and black leather. MSRP about $66k. The 6 cylinder is in a color combo I like (but not really like) - Black Saphire and Tacora Red. MSRP about $72k.

My question is compromise a little on power or on looks? Tough call and will be driving both to get a feel. Would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!
I would not compromise at all. Order an I6 in the colors you like. Since 2004 have only bought one BMW off the lot. Was the exact car down to the tires I would have ordered.

·
Registered
2021 430i xdrive Artic Race Blue/Oyster Msport,Shadowline
9 Posts

Thanks!
It’s really going to come down to to how much you need the fun of the performance. I can’t help with performance vs looks that’s just a you thing. I would have done the 440 vs 430 I got if I didn’t have a Vette with a Super Charger sitting next to it to scratch that itch. So if you’re not driven by gas mileage and can afford i, it’s a no brainer.

·
Steve
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well… went for a test drive today and it didn’t go well…
  • The black with red interior turned out be beautiful
  • the sound of that 6… amazing
  • The ride and the handling was awesome.
Needless to say I had no choice but to buy it. Picking it up in the am. Pics later this weekend. 😎

1 - 10 of 10 Posts