BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove a 430i today with the Track Handling Package. Nice setup, solid, fully resolved, German car. Reminded me of how BMWs used to feel. Shedding the RFTs and adding DHP smooths out the car greatly, and my point of reference is a 430i GC with standard suspension and RFTs I had last week. Got to drive both cars on the freeway, and the GC felt busier and more fatiguing, which I would attribute to the difference in Track Handling.

However, I'm a little undecided about VSS. I liked the heavier feel, but there's something artificial that I feel at times. Like when I initiate a turn, the boost seems to shift in ways I don't expect. I don't feel that on my F10, though I may have felt it in non-VSS 3 Series cars.

Next, I need to drive the 328d.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
How did the 430GC with standard suspension feel compared to F30 standard suspension cars? I think the F36's are dialed in more tightly than F30's, standard suspension vs standard suspension. I don't like how the steering weight shifts in corners. It's too light on entrance to the corner, and only after you're cornering does it tighten up. I think this is part of the standard steering tuning though, and not VSS.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the same if slightly firmer. My prior two loaners were 2016 320i's and the suspension felt composed, though more easily upset by speed bumps than the 430i GC.

How did the 430GC with standard suspension feel compared to F30 standard suspension cars? I think the F36's are dialed in more tightly than F30's, standard suspension vs standard suspension.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
A comparison of 3-series and 4-series may be a bit skewed even without DHP/ZTR as 4-series has a lower CG and wider stance(hence more composed over speed bumps?) than 3-series.

How does the LCI adaptive suspension feel, e.g. artificial, or similar to 704?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The last 704-equipped 3 Series I drove was pre-LCI, and too long ago to draw a meaningful comparison. I recall that you definitely notice the firmness and some choppiness with the passive setup, but I can't tell how much of it is the RFTs.

With the 430i, you notice the car is firm, but there's no choppiness or harshness. I had a decent enough test drive (4 miles on the FWY and 4 miles on San Fernando Valley surface streets). The ride wasn't varied enough to detect artificiality in the DHP, though I noticed it quite clearly in a pre-LCI car I once drove over very choppy pavement. More than anything, I found this 430i lacking in any fatigue-generating ride attributes, which would be a deal killer coming from a 5 Series.

How does the LCI adaptive suspension feel, e.g. artificial, or similar to 704?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was comparing a 430i GC to a 320i. You are correct -- they're not directly compatible. Throughout the week of driving the GC, I observed that the car had a very different character than any 3 Series I'd ever driven including quite a few 328i's. The GC felt and drove heavier, was considerably quieter in road noise, and had a higher quality interior feel to it.

There is no difference in wheelbase, though the track is 1/2" wider. If the GC handled speed bumps differently, my assumption is that it's due to differences in tuning and parts rather than suspension geometry and chassis design.

A comparison of 3-series and 4-series may be a bit skewed even without DHP/ZTR as 4-series has a lower CG and wider stance(hence more composed over speed bumps?) than 3-series.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an '07 328 base model and a bunch of 328 sportline's to reference to. While I respect the 328 drive train, and once it is driven hard is a load of fun, I find my new '17 440 GC sportline to be a blast. The steering is, in fact, lighter to my '07 but is predictable and has a good sense of feedback even in Comfort mode. Once in Sport mode, the '17 is much closer to the '07 in steering feel. The '17, however, is a scream in comparison to the '07. Wow!!! Not even close.

While I don't know whether I will miss the adaptive suspension or not, I find the new sportline suspension to be vastly superior to the older baseline. And, the new B58 engine and 8-speed sport auto is VASTLY superior to my '07 6-spd tranny.

I want to make a couple of things clear. I have found that the '07 base 328 to be amazing compared to my '01 Audi A4 Quattro. So balanced. So easy to push to limits. So enjoyable.

I now have the '17 440GC. Still breaking in the car (w only 1800 miles), but already find the quality of the ride AND the ability to push the car to be superior to my '07.

BMW gets better every year. Will I regret not getting the adaptive suspension? Maybe. But so far the ride has been great...and I've only scratched the surface. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts