Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
How many BMWs have you owned, was this your first?
Yup. Never again. Cost a fortune (convertible), broke down (drivetrain malfunction at 37,000 miles) in a terrible spot in Upstate NY, and dropped $45,000 in value on trade in 18 months after I bought it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Realiable

I currently own a 2014 435ix that I bought two years ago with 22k Miles. I now have 42k miles and have not had a single problem. I have owned 4 other Bmws over the last 20 years and they have all been reliable. Im not sure if I have gotten lucky or that the majority of BMWs are solid cars. I believe you have a skewed view on the BMW forums. Owners are more likely to post about their problems and not their reliability. Sorry to hear other people are having problems.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i currently own a 2014 435ix that i bought two years ago with 22k miles. I now have 42k miles and have not had a single problem. I have owned 4 other bmws over the last 20 years and they have all been reliable. Im not sure if i have gotten lucky or that the majority of bmws are solid cars. I believe you have a skewed view on the bmw forums. Owners are more likely to post about their problems and not their reliability. Sorry to hear other people are having problems.
+1

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Yup. Never again. Cost a fortune (convertible), broke down (drivetrain malfunction at 37,000 miles) in a terrible spot in Upstate NY, and dropped $45,000 in value on trade in 18 months after I bought it.
Can you explain how it dropped $45k in value in 18 months? How much was it new? How many miles were on it? This was an offer on a trade?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depreciation

Most of the German cars depreciate like crazy. I have always found it to be much more cost effective to either lease or purchase lightly used. I would also be upset if I took the kind of hit you took.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Most of the German cars depreciate like crazy. I have always found it to be much more cost effective to either lease or purchase lightly used. I would also be upset if I took the kind of hit you took.
I can well afford the hit. I thought The Ultimate Driving Machine would last a little longer than the warranty. Ridiculous waste of money.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,565 Posts
Purchased $68,200
Traded $24,800
37,000 miles
First, that's not a $45,000 loss as you claimed.

Second, I cannot imagine spending close to $70,000 on a 4 cylinder BMW. Are you that rare BMW driver who paid MSRP? If so, that is hardly the car's fault.

Third, KBB says the trade in value on that car (even with that high mileage) is $27,695, while the Private Party Sale value is $35,269. Sounds like either the car was in rough shape when you traded it in, or the Lexus dealer ripped you off for $3,000 to $10,000. Again, how is that BMW's fault?

Clearly, BMW is not the marque for you; your prior posts have made that pretty clear. So why do you feel the need to keep trolling on a site for BMW enthusiasts (and enthusiasts who neither overpay for their rides, nor give them away for less-than-market value)? You may think your experience reflects poorly on BMW, but it really reflects poorly on you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Purchased $68,200
Traded $24,800
37,000 miles
First, that's not a $45,000 loss as you claimed.

Second, I cannot imagine spending close to $70,000 on a 4 cylinder BMW. Are you that rare BMW driver who paid MSRP? If so, that is hardly the car's fault.

Third, KBB says the trade in value on that car (even with that high mileage) is $27,695, while the Private Party Sale value is $35,269. Sounds like either the car was in rough shape when you traded it in, or the Lexus dealer ripped you off for $3,000 to $10,000. Again, how is that BMW's fault?

Clearly, BMW is not the marque for you; your prior posts have made that pretty clear. So why do you feel the need to keep trolling on a site for BMW enthusiasts (and enthusiasts who neither overpay for their rides, nor give them away for less-than-market value)? You may think your experience reflects poorly on BMW, but it really reflects poorly on you.
Ok, $44,000 hit, sorry. Ignoring your nasty attitude, I will explain. I paid a little less than MSRP (it was the beginning of the model year and a custom color), but in any event, the point is I had 3 estimates for trade in including the BMW dealer and they were all about the same. The custom color I paid extra for (snapper rocks) is a deduction from trade in value for some reason. The point is, it was such a disappointment that I would have accepted less just to get rid of it. Last time I checked, I am still a member of the bimmerfest forum and will continue to visit and express my opinion as I please. Feel free to ignore my posts as you feel appropriate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depreciation Hit

I was being empathetic in telling you I would also be upset about taking such a big hit. Why would you feel the need to post a response that you "can well afford the hit". Do you think I or any one else is impressed with this statement that you think you have a lot of money? I think you will find in life that most people like a humble person.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Custom colors don***8217;t mean you can***8217;t get a substantial discount. 10% off retail is not hard to come by. Second, even if it***8217;s as you say, that was your choice. Last, you also made the choice to trade your car which is always worse case and the high mileage for an 18 month old car exacerbates the issue.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was being empathetic in telling you I would also be upset about taking such a big hit. Why would you feel the need to post a response that you "can well afford the hit". Do you think I or any one else is impressed with this statement that you think you have a lot of money? I think you will find in life that most people like a humble person.
and I was making the point that the biggest disappointment was not the financial hit but it was the complete and utter failure of BMW to live up to my expectations. I think you will find in life that humble people don’t give life advice to strangers on the internet. Isn’t it time for you to do a transmission flush or buy wheel spacers or something? Don’t bother responding. I don’t really care what you think. Cheers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Custom colors don***8217;t mean you can***8217;t get a substantial discount. 10% off retail is not hard to come by. Second, even if it***8217;s as you say, that was your choice. Last, you also made the choice to trade your car which is always worse case and the high mileage for an 18 month old car exacerbates the issue.
Not discounted at the beginning of the model year where I live. Yes, it was my choice. Dealers don’t usually accept involuntary trade-ins. I believe there is another legal term for that. Oh yeah, theft.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Not discounted at the beginning of the model year where I live. Yes, it was my choice. Dealers don’t usually accept involuntary trade-ins. I believe there is another legal term for that. Oh yeah, theft.
The F33 has been on the market since 2014 I think. It hasn’t changed much and it’s not rare. It’s also well known that you can always get good discounts. As far as trade ins, that was your decision. It’s a business transaction. Take responsibility for your decisions.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
and I was making the point that the biggest disappointment was not the financial hit but it was the complete and utter failure of BMW to live up to my expectations. I think you will find in life that humble people don’t give life advice to strangers on the internet. Isn’t it time for you to do a transmission flush or buy wheel spacers or something? Don’t bother responding. I don’t really care what you think. Cheers.
There’s no need to be rude. Please respect others opinions.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There’s no need to be rude. Please respect others opinions.
You are being more persistent than the DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION warning on my former BMW. If there was no need to be rude I wouldn’t be. Go check your run-flats. Bye. I am UNFRIENDING YOU! (Is this the right site for that?)

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
You are being more persistent than the DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION warning on my former BMW. If there was no need to be rude I wouldn***8217;t be. Go check your run-flats. Bye. I am UNFRIENDING YOU! (Is this the right site for that?)
You can choose to ignore my posts if you like.

Keep in mind I***8217;m the moderator here so I see every post.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The reason I bought my 2016 435i GC new is because I knew I’d never drive it enough to even justify a lease. Now I have 12,400 miles on it and have had zero issues with it. I didn’t bother getting an extended warranty.
PS. He had a 4 cylinder? I thought the “435” always meant 6. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

First off one car does not equal an entire brand being ****. There are lemons in every manufacturer/class. I’ve not had any issues like you over the last 20 years owning several Bimmers. I currently have 5 of them in various states of mileage and age with the oldest one coming up on 20 years. Sorry for your bad experience but it’s certainly not the norm, nor the reason to smear an entire brand and their product portfolio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 55 Posts