BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be making the trip to my local dealer to place an order for a 440i xDrive Coupe with the Cold Weather, Driver Assist, M Sport Package, and Navigation. If you could help with the following questions it would be great! All of my previous BMW purchases have been from existing stock.

1) How long is the build process? 6-8 weeks is reasonable to me.
2) Is the South Carolina delivery experience worth the trip?
3) Finally, I am going with the 440 because I do not like the idea of a 4 banger. Does anyone feel differently?

Thank you for responding.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
i can answer the 1st one.

you need to find out when the build allocation is for.

ex
dealer A has an available allocation slot in 112 status. you place the order, the car goes into prod the same day, the car arrives at port 4 weeks later (east coast).

dealer B does not have an available allocation slot. you place the order, it goes into his order bank untill he gets an allocation. depending on the size of the dealer, this could be later that month, or the month after, etc. once they get the allocation, it will take about 4 weeks to get to port. in this scenario it could take months

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I can answer the second one. YES, take Performance Center Delivery.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I will be making the trip to my local dealer to place an order for a 440i xDrive Coupe with the Cold Weather, Driver Assist, M Sport Package, and Navigation. If you could help with the following questions it would be great! All of my previous BMW purchases have been from existing stock.

3) Finally, I am going with the 440 because I do not like the idea of a 4 banger. Does anyone feel differently?

As for the third one, I have a 2016 435 with the N55 6 cylinder engine. I went to performance center west for 1 day M school last weekend, and got to drive (among other things) a 340 with the new B58 engine. The difference in the engines was noticeable and thats going from 6 cyl to 6 cyl. If budget allows I would get the 6 cylinder.

You will also want the adaptive M suspension, as think x drive models still do not get the static sport suspension. I believe its changing wit G series cars but we are not there yet on 4 series (or anything but 7s yet I think).

So, get the adaptive suspension, or test drive an x drive without the adaptive m suspension EXTENSIVELY.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Cannot help with #1 and #2

#3 - definitely, if you can afford it. All three engines available in the US are great - I drove them extensively before purchase. But - the six is sweet - lots of power, and a great sound. Also, if you are going to get comfort access and the HK stereo, these are standard on the 440i and optional on the 428i, so the net cost difference for the six cylinder is only about $2,500 (unless you were going to skip these two options on the 4 cylinder car). In my case, I wanted both of these items and they are also highly recommended. Comfort access allows you to keep the key in your pocket at all times; without it you still have to pull the key out to open and lock the doors or open the trunk. Many people have posted that the HK stereo is well worth the cost. I would agree.

Also I would consider adding the side and top view cameras - I did not, and after driving a car later with this feature it seems well worth the $700.

·
Registered
22 Posts
#2 - Absolutely worth it - if you're ordering a new BMW and don't do PCD, you're missing out on a really fantastic experience.

#3 - Agree - get it if you can afford it. Better in every way except for mileage.

I completely agree with the comment on the top view camera. I literally use it every time I'm in the car. Would not consider a new car purchase without this feature.

Also - get the heads up display. We got it for my wife and I think I like it more than she does - another feature I would not buy a new car without.

Last comment - the ACC with Stop and Go doesn't get many comments, but I passed on it and have driven cars with it since we bought our 435 GC and lament not having it every time I get stuck on a two lane with traffic. Less important that the top view camera (which would be non-negotiable) and the heads up display (which we use every time we're in the car), but a very nice feature to have if you can afford it.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!

Cannot help with #1 and #2

#3 - definitely, if you can afford it. All three engines available in the US are great - I drove them extensively before purchase. But - the six is sweet - lots of power, and a great sound. Also, if you are going to get comfort access and the HK stereo, these are standard on the 440i and optional on the 428i, so the net cost difference for the six cylinder is only about $2,500 (unless you were going to skip these two options on the 4 cylinder car). In my case, I wanted both of these items and they are also highly recommended. Comfort access allows you to keep the key in your pocket at all times; without it you still have to pull the key out to open and lock the doors or open the trunk. Many people have posted that the HK stereo is well worth the cost. I would agree.

Also I would consider adding the side and top view cameras - I did not, and after driving a car later with this feature it seems well worth the $700.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
If you don't have any financial doubts, I see no reason to go for 4 cylinders. It's not like 4 is NA and 6 is turbo, which would definitely open a debate which one to get.

Listen to jjrandorin and get adaptive suspension. X drive suspension was always treated like a stepchild by BMW, even if you always drive in comfort. That time you decide you want sport will pay for it.

Good luck!

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts

Welcome to Bimmerfest, critacco!

1.) 6-8 weeks is feasible for an F32. If you specify any 'BMW Individual' options for your car, order to delivery times can be much longer, though.

2.) YES! Upstate South Carolina in general is a wonderful place to visit, as is the BMW Performance Center in particular.

3.) Yes; F3x cars with the N20 or B48 4-cylinder engines are lighter and better balanced than those with the B58 six cylinder, and also cost less when equipped comparably. Since the 4-cylinder engines deliver excellent performance and fuel efficiency, I see no reason to specify the B58 six cylinder engine in a 4-Series.

Best wishes as you finalize your order!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,886 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest, critacco!

3.) Yes; F3x cars with the N20 or B48 4-cylinder engines are lighter and better balanced than those with the B58 six cylinder, and also cost less when equipped comparably. Since the 4-cylinder engines deliver excellent performance and fuel efficiency, I see no reason to specify the B58 six cylinder engine in a 4-Series.

Best wishes as you finalize your order!
+1 - I am a huge inline six fan and that's what I would buy, BUT....the fact is the four banger is an excellent motor that provides first rate performance. I4 or I6 is purely personal preference rather than there being a substantial performance difference.

Having said that this new B58 I6 is, by all appearances, a phenomenal motor. The only question at this point is what its reliability will prove to be. The N55 is a known quantity and has proven quite reliable. I'm hoping the B58 will prove as reliable as the N55. I haven't had a chance to drive a car with the B48 four cylinder yet so I can't give any review of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback it is appreciated! This morning I order a 2017 440i xDrive, M Sport, Cold Weather, Driver Assist, and Nav in Metalic Grey with Black Dakota Blue Accents. The told me 6-8 weeks for delivery, though it may be sooner. I am very excited to have my customer ordered 440!

Carm

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Can you elaborate on this? I occasionally use top view to ensure I'm in between the parking space lines and when parallel parking. However I've never felt it was a must have feature. Am I missing a use case?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Can you elaborate on this? I occasionally use top view to ensure I'm in between the parking space lines and when parallel parking. However I've never felt it was a must have feature. Am I missing a use case?
i cant answer for daryll, but I find it VERY useful to make sure I do not hit the cement parking blocks in parking spaces (so the top view). My m sport bumper is JUST lower than most of those, so its possible to hit them if you get too close. With the top view camera feature I never have to guess. Also, turning on the top view camera when I am parking seems to activate Park distance control for those cement blocks so that PDC will also warn me if I get to close. It does not seem to do that for the blocks as aggressively if I dont have on top view camera.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you elaborate on this? I occasionally use the top view to ensuring I'm in between the parking space lines and when parallel parking. However, I've never felt it was a must have feature. Am I missing a use-case?
One of my coworkers has this on this Nissan Juke. Yes, you are reading that correctly. The salespersons were trying to talk me into ordering it. After speaking with my coworker, he believes it is a gimmick. It's neet, but very little practical use outside of showing other people.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
i cant answer for daryll, but I find it VERY useful to make sure I do not hit the cement parking blocks in parking spaces (so the top view). My m sport bumper is JUST lower than most of those, so its possible to hit them if you get too close. With the top view camera feature I never have to guess. Also, turning on the top view camera when I am parking seems to activate Park distance control for those cement blocks so that PDC will also warn me if I get to close. It does not seem to do that for the blocks as aggressively if I dont have on top view camera.
I guess I've never had to worry about hitting parking blocks since I'm driving an X5. Curious about the PDC...whenever I place my X5 into reverse the rear camera displays on the left side of the display and PDC on the right side. Perhaps this isn't how the 3-series works?

·
Registered
198 Posts
While maybe not a "must have" it certainly would be nice to have. The backup camera will work to put you between the lines, and it works very well once you develop trust in the system. I have found myself backing into more parking places that before. Also having said that, the rear vision out of the GT is pretty poor - in my opinion the backup camera and sensors should be standard on this model for sure.

The top view takes it one step further - you can actually see the things around the car, for example curbs. This option would have prevented me from curbing my left rear wheel in a very tight parking garage in France. Next car I order will definitely have this feature, but that is just me. To some extent it depends on how tight your parking areas are. Our house was built in 1979 but for some reason the garage is fairly tight - it would be a nice feature to have even at my own house. Your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I guess I've never had to worry about hitting parking blocks since I'm driving an X5. Curious about the PDC...whenever I place my X5 into reverse the rear camera displays on the left side of the display and PDC on the right side. Perhaps this isn't how the 3-series works?
I "like" it on the X5 (top view cameras) but would not feel it was a must have. On the "m Sport" version of the 4 series, the car is JUST lower than most of your standard cement blocks, so its very useful.

SIDE view cameras are more of a gimmick on the 3/4. On the X5 it just helps you fit more comfortably in a spot, but I would consider it a nice to have. REAR view camera on an X5 is more useful.

I still would get the top view and side view cameras again myself on 3/4 series (simply because you have to have the side cameras to have the top one, and the top one is useful to me).

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have surround view and and side view...both are very useful. Surround view for parking and maneuvering in tight spaces; Side view for exiting driveways and alleyways where the street view is obstructed. Side view also helps at junctions/intersections with restricted views of the traffic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The car was built on 10/7 and currently sitting in Munich, Germany. I am figuring about 2 weeks to ship etc. to the dealer. I am in PA so the port of Baltimore is around 5 hours away. Anyone have any other experiences on shipping times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts