BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 4 x 4 light came on, then the Fail Safe Program light came on. Mechanic said it is the Transfer Case = $3K. Anyone have the same issue?

·
Registered
833 Posts
the 4 x 4 light came on, then the Fail Safe Program light came on. Mechanic said it is the Transfer Case = $3K. Anyone have the same issue?
Is that based on the mechanic scanning the codes? I got the 4x4 light but not the fail safe. Turned out to be a bad steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 4x4 light was on when I bought it took into dealer said need to replace steering angle sensor and fault in alternator. Just bought 2weeks ago repairs are almost what I paid for car so don't know what I should do now in the Orange County ca area 2005 x5 should I sell it as is. Also said I have coolant leak and brake issues possible brake booster, master cylinder, vacuum pump with pipe. Nice looking car What to do??????

·
Registered
833 Posts
My 4x4 light was on when I bought it took into dealer said need to replace steering angle sensor and fault in alternator. Just bought 2weeks ago repairs are almost what I paid for car so don't know what I should do now in the Orange County ca area 2005 x5 should I sell it as is. Also said I have coolant leak and brake issues possible brake booster, master cylinder, vacuum pump with pipe. Nice looking car What to do??????
If you are handy with tools a lot of the work can be done yourself. I've replaced the steering angle sensor. It's a pain, but technically not difficult. Just make sure you don't move your steering wheel while it's disconnected. Better yet, put and index mark on the steering shaft and connector before disconnecting it so it goes back together straight. You'll have to pay the stealer to program it, but you'll save a ton on dealer labor.

Where's the coolant leak? Had one in my radiator. Replaced that last month. Radiator was $215. No labor charge.
If you can't do the work, I'd sell it. Things are going to continue to go wrong with a car this age.

·
Registered
366 Posts
4x4 Fail safe light.

Hi I would check Alternator out put and battery condition first. I know it doesn't sound right but they do some funny things with low voltage problems. Needs to be putting out 14.2 volts at least. :thumbup:

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you are handy with tools a lot of the work can be done yourself. I've replaced the steering angle sensor. It's a pain, but technically not difficult. Just make sure you don't move your steering wheel while it's disconnected. Better yet, put and index mark on the steering shaft and connector before disconnecting it so it goes back together straight. You'll have to pay the stealer to program it, but you'll save a ton on dealer labor.

Where's the coolant leak? Had one in my radiator. Replaced that last month. Radiator was $215. No labor charge.
If you can't do the work, I'd sell it. Things are going to continue to go wrong with a car this age.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't know your model and mileage. Do a simple test with a multimeter. Voltage before starting and more importantly the voltage after starting and running for at least for three minutes continually. Make sure voltage will not jump up and down when running. It should drop very gradually from about 14.4 to 13.8. Everyone should change coolant reservoir, water pump with thermostat and all ignition coils as a preventive maintenance thing if you don't wants surprises. You got to be handy with tools with patience. It's a great suv if you do basic stuff like these. I had a good seven hour run on highway over the Canada day weekend doing around 160k most of the times without speeding tickets. I do most or the work with advice from guys here and from YouTube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts