BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on when the next generation 5 series will be on the market? I heard a rumor that it could be introduced as a 2009 model in the fall of 2008. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Looks like the F10 (E60 replacement) will be released Q1 2010. That's likely the european release, so if history is any indicator, I'd expect it in the US Q2/Q3 2010 as a MY2011. See attached.

Attachments

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,152 Posts
Could be a 2009 model at end of 2008, but remember we have to see the new 7er before the new 5er.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Bangle

From my perspective, keep those Bangle designs coming!

·
Registered
20 Posts
From my perspective, keep those Bangle designs coming!
+1:thumbup: That's what's made BMW become a leader in car design. Witness, Mercedes and Lexus new "Bangle" design direction. Clear examples of followers and not leaders......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1:thumbup: That's what's made BMW become a leader in car design. Witness, Mercedes and Lexus new "Bangle" design direction. Clear examples of followers and not leaders......:rolleyes:
+2 Love Bangle--no more boring cars! Now the exterior packaging matches the excitement of the drivetrain. May he reign for long, long time...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Who was responsible for the e60's design?

I love it.

Who was responsible for the e60 LCI design?

In my humble opinion, not so great.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Looks like the F10 (E60 replacement) will be released Q1 2010. That's likely the european release, so if history is any indicator, I'd expect it in the US Q2/Q3 2010 as a MY2011. See attached.
This has been discussed ad nauseum. The consensus is that the above is true.

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! :)

Also fwiw Bangle is a revolutionary and while his designs may not have been universally liked, it has gained a lot of converts (myself included). When other car companies are taking design cues from him then you know he did something right.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Who was responsible for the e60's design?

I love it.

Who was responsible for the e60 LCI design?

In my humble opinion, not so great.
The e60 5 serries exterior was designed by David Arcangeli. Unfortunately he died of leukemia around November 2004.

As an architect I agree that the LCI design changes were not so great.

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
oh, well, jeez, if an architect says so...

My landscaper loves it.

sheesh

:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great. Thanks. Now I can proceed to lease the new M3 in 2008 for 2 years until the F10 arrives.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I toured the Dingolfing plant in late June. A huge area was empty with a couple of technicians crawling around on the floor measuring where to situate the robots etc etc. There was a sign on the fence around this area proclaiming something like "Future production line for the F01 and F02." Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the date that they also showed on the sign, but it seems that BMW may be a little ahead compared to the your attachment. Or does it really take over a year to set up robots etc etc?

The tour did not show the 6 or 7 production lines, only the 5-series line. The guide was very coy when someone verbalized his disappointment in not seeing the other two lines. When I loudly commented that these two lines were off-limits because of new designs being produced, the guide gave us a :thumbup: back over his shoulder to us, but no official explanation.

·
Happy as a snapping clam
812 Posts
The tour did not show the 6 or 7 production lines, only the 5-series line.
This may be misleading. Please note that one indication of the genius of BMW is producing 5s, 6s, and 7s on the same line at the same time (at least for marrying the engines and the bodies)! We viewed this on the Dingolfing tour in May '05.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts