BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the 5 series compare to relatively priced sedans (Eg: 540 vs STI, M5 vs. ???)

in terms of speed, cornering etc (we all know that the 5 series is by far more refined and comfortable :p )

·
Registered
567 Posts
StI is faster, has better brakes, handles better, is more reliable, and half the price of a 540i.

;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
STI faster than a 540I??:yikes: by how much?
I've seen them at a few autocrosse's and they are rocket ships. Comparing them to a 540i really means little since they are a completely different class of car. I've also sat in one and the interior is economy.....but the handling etc is quite amazing especially considering the price.

·
Registered
567 Posts
They are much lighter (around 3300 lbs), they have a very advanced AWD System, and then have the same power.

They can run to 60 in 4.5 seconds, and with a good driver as well, run very low 13's in the 1/4 mile.

My 540i will run them down up top though. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
We have a 2005 STI in the family, the car would do a mid 5 second 0-100 1/4 mile time of 13.6 secs. I should know this because it has been raced atleast 20 different times, they are not as quick as people think they are.

cheers
Laps

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My '87 Buick GN (stock turbo) will easily :wow: take my '00 540/6 - till about 100mph, I imagine, then aerodynamics would give the Bimmer the lead....

E39's are great cars, don't get me wrong (I obviously own one). They provide a wonderfull balance of handling, motor, and looks...

...But there are plenty of cars that are quicker!!

As far as performance: E39 biggest enemy = MASS :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
We have a 2005 STI in the family, the car would do a mid 5 second 0-100 1/4 mile time of 13.6 secs. I should know this because it has been raced atleast 20 different times, they are not as quick as people think they are.

cheers
Laps
I take it the 0-100 (km/h) was with a mild launch?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
STI way smaller, turbo AWD Etc , just like the Evo Mitsubishi , but they are diffrent class
and i dont think they should be compared to the E39 and im still thinking and E39 will take the STI topspeed wise
i mighbt be wrong

·
Registered
195 Posts
STI way smaller, turbo AWD Etc , just like the Evo Mitsubishi , but they are diffrent class
and i dont think they should be compared to the E39 and im still thinking and E39 will take the STI topspeed wise
i mighbt be wrong
+1 on this

the AWD might give the sti advantage at start but at higher speed the 540I should pass the sti no problem since its only using its power for the 2 rear wheels, while the sti has to power all of its wheels. and as far as the handling...awd vs rwd cant compare wouldnt make sence since again "awd vs rwd". but my E39 handles so well, most things i have done in it would've have made crash in a diff car...

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
has any 540I owner here raced an STI?? if so please write ur result....
I got into it with one at the stoplights, and he was about 2-3 cars ahead of me by 80 but we had leveled off and i was gaining on him by 100 when we backed out of it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The thing that makes an STI a good car, is the fact that it responds very well to mods, make it breathe a little better put little more boost and you have a car that is very hard to beat

·
Registered
361 Posts
if the driver of the sti knows how to launch vs a 540... its over off the line... period. u cant compare the two, as someone said prev. its a totally different class. your comparing a ralley inspired race car to a comfort machine

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
if the driver of the sti knows how to launch vs a 540... its over off the line... period. u cant compare the two, as someone said prev. its a totally different class. your comparing a ralley inspired race car to a comfort machine
A comfort machine with a racing blood line

·
Registered
77 Posts
our car is fast but there are lots out there that are just as fast or faster...a neon srt 4 could keep up with us and those are less than 20k(p.o.s though). as for similarly priced cars a gs 400 will give you a run for your money.

In my opinion that is way more of a fair comparison car than a sti

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
I looked at all sports sedan, from the BMW to a Maxima, Acura TL, Subaru Legacy GT and a few others. For the price, I couldn't find anything better than the 540.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts