BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody tell me what is a 5 speed with synchronization is. The dealer that I am buying my car from says I have it and they are rings in the gearbox. He did not tell me what it does I just noticed it when I was in neutral going from left to right I noticed that right seemed to be a bit tough to get over. He told me to look it up on the Internet and I could not fined much information about it. The car that I am going to buy is a 2001 bmw 330ci 5 speed manual. I hope you guys dont think I am crazy or stupid this is just what the dealer told me.

Any response helps thanks and I will look at wiki for information.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
All modern manual transmissions have synchronizers (aka/synchros) on all forward gears....they are brass rings inside the trans which ease and "cushion" (for lack of a better word) the engagement of the gears, making life *much* easier for manual drivers. Synchros are subject to normal wear & tear as well as abuse from drivers who either lack the necessary skill or are just crappy drivers. When synchros wear, shifting will not be as smooth as it used to be, and in extreme cases, the shifter may even pop out of gear on occasion. Changing the fluid can often revitalize the feeling (at least for a while) in a manual trans. Hope this info helps, this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg :)

Regards,
Bob

·
just like that, he's gone
2016 BMW 535 M-Sport
1,725 Posts
is your car also occasionally popping out of 4th gear and also are you finding it increasingly more difficult to find 3rd or 5th and does the gearbox seem "sloppy?" I had the same symptoms at 70k miles and it was transmission bushings..........covered under warranty or my CPO or my maintenance package......can't remember.

·
ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Synchros are subject to normal wear & tear as well as abuse from drivers who either lack the necessary skill or are just crappy drivers.
Regards,
Bob
Hold on Bob....I killed many a syncrho in the well known crappy Borg Warner T-5's that ford jammed into all their 87-93 fox body stangs. It was from driving "properly". "Proper" in this case consisted of jamming your right foot to the floor and then "kicking" the clutch while ramming it into the next gear (but never removing the right foot from the floor) and smiling a lot. This too, and not bad technique, will kill synchros faster than you can say "oops, where is third gear?". If you've ever driven the above you'll get that joke! :rofl:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.