BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first post, and an imprortant one it is:)!
This evening I noticed my 523ia Touring hanging at an angle in the driveway. I have turned on the engine (no warnings on the display FYI), and although the car tried to level and went up some, there was a distinct hissing noise behind the left rear wheel.... The hissing noise deminished in sound after a few seconds but did not stop. A leaky airbag on the suspensions system I guess.
I like to change it (or perhaps both to be safe) myself and have looked up the partnumber, which I can get through the dealer here in my hometown.
Now: I have seen an older post here stating the interior in the boot needs to be removed, and the air bag can be unhooked from the hose and then the car needs to be jacked up and the airbag can be taken out after removing a bolt. Squeeze the old bag and wrigle out. So far so good.
To prevent me taking apart the whole car I would appreciate some suggestions as to what to take out in the boot? Looking forward to replacing the stuff myself. Any help welcomed:)!
Thanks and keep up the good work,
Kind regards from The Netherlands,
Hans.

·
Registered
954 Posts
This is the cover you will need to remove in the back for access. If you PM your email address I can send more detailed info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I did a little experiment by jacking the car up and taking the wheel of. By placing a couple of brikc under the bearing arm and lowering th car, and starting, I noticed the airsuspension itself moving up and started hissing. It is now very clear the rubber around the airsuspensiuons is worn, it has tears and the 'woven material'under the rubber is showing through and havbing horizontal cracks. By pressing the rubber 'tube'I heard air coming out. So the problem is now clear. I think I will replace both of them just to make sure. Since I can acces them easily from outside and within that is no big job. The airbags do not seem to be faulty as far as I can see.
I see I have to take off the 'pressurevalve' on top of the airsuspension, is there any danger involved in taking that off?
Thanks, Hans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tyrone, for getting me the manual on replacement. Very helpfull. I have taken out the left one, and busy ordering a new one, probably will do both sides together as the right side might give in, any time....Easy procedure, I'm glad to say. Clear on the letting off pressure procedure also:)!
I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks, Hans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts