BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13,638 Posts
Go to www.e38.org/e39 and scroll down to the bottom of the left column. You will see multiple owners manuals in PDF format...download the manual that is CLOSEST to your model year (if your model year isn't listed). It doesn't matter if the year is off by a year or two (actually the whole range) due to BMWs design architecture which doesn't change very much. So much so that you could read an e38's owners manual of similar "vintage" and still understand how to operate everything about your car. :)

And don't get confused by the term "sport wagon"...it DOES NOT indicate wagon's with the sport pkg option. All e39 wagons were called "sport wagons" regardless if they had the sport pkg option or not. See the info below in the "pantheon"...1999 was the model year that the e39 "sport wagons" were introduced to the USA market. ;)

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I downloaded it and checked it against the manual I was given with my purchase of the car and they are different. Now I am confused. There are things listed in both which I do not think are options included on my car and I don***8217;t know how to check for them. Does my car actually have tire control sensors? Do I have a rain sensor? I pretty7 much know that there is no parking sensor. Would a car have thre control sensors but not have the parking sensors? I am starting to think that all items marked with an asterisk have been left off my car, but then there is the DSP sound system which appears to be active. I had a huge problem with the transmission but never saw a dashboard error code. I was under the impression that the inclusion of some systems and the exclusion of others means it is a Touring Wagon. The rear emblem says 525i, nothing more.

· Registered
13,638 Posts
Not sure how you came to some of the conclusions you mention...but you are mixing up a lot of things.

As you state...the owners manual covers EVERYTHING that was available in the 525i/iT/530i/540i/iT that were imported to the USA...so yes, the topics that have an asterisk behind them means that not all cars may be so equipped (this is mentioned somewhere in the beginning of the manual). See the text highlighted in yellow (below) that explains what the asterisk means in the owners manual:

The use of the term "Touring" is the name that BMW used to use to describe their station wagons. Mercedes Benz uses the term "Estate" to describe their station wagons. So you will see the word "TOURING" used by many BMW owners and BMW itself...which for marketing reasons called the e39 Touring (station wagon) the "Sport Wagon". Again, this was only used as a marketing ploy due to the negative connotation many have for station wagons. Touring, Wagon, Touring wagon, Sport Wagon, station wagon...all are used interchangeably to describe the type of BMW you own.

You can click on the following link and type in the last 7 digits of your car's VIN (then correctly answer a simple math equation)...and you will get the list of your car's build sheet (standard equipment & how it was optioned): http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

And as you mentioned in your post above...if your car doesn't have the button for tire control...then no...your car doesn't have that feature. Just as if you don't have the PDC button or heated seat buttons down below the IHKA control panel....then your car is not optioned with that feature.

Also, the e39 has TWO different instrument clusters. There is the low instrument cluster (which has the limited OBC) that uses the GRAPHIC display for the check control system. The high instrument cluster has a 20 digit alpha/numeric display which puts up warnings using the PRIORITY 1 & 2 textual phrases. Depending on which instrument cluster you have...will determine what type of warning you'll see illuminated for transmission problems. The low cluster will give you a "graphic" warning and icon...whereas the high instrument cluster will give you a textual PRIORITY 1 or 2 warning (with perhaps an instrument cluster "idiot" light for some warning):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.