BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purposly drove 45 miles keeping cruise on 70 mph some traffic went down to 66 back up to 70, with a/c on eco pro and got 37.6 mpg.
where can you get this mileage on a car that in one click in sport mode turn the car into a half animal... you cant.
all the gs350 people on the lexus boards get 24 mpg
its a joke the japs are so far behind bmw with the engine technology.
way to go Bmw

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and forgot 6 miles of it was easy throttle city driving to get on highway with stop lights.
this thing will get 40mpg all day long just 70 on highway with semi flat land

·
Scott
837 Posts
When I had my 550i, my mom and brother had a 528i and whenever I would take one of their cars I was always amazed by the 528 fuel economy especially when compared to my 550 which had me at the pump every three days. Although it is a four cylinder, it powers a large family sedan while getting almost 40mpg and like you said, can easily be fun with the push of one button. It is a pretty impressive car especially when you think about a small Honda Civic with a WEAK four cylinder which gets about the same fuel economy with zero fun.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This deserves a "like" button!

just purposly drove 45 miles keeping cruise on 70 mph some traffic went down to 66 back up to 70, with a/c on eco pro and got 37.6 mpg.
where can you get this mileage on a car that in one click in sport mode turn the car into a half animal... you cant.
way to go Bmw

·
Registered
237 Posts
way to go Bmw
To be fair, GS350 is a V6 and by some measurement a more powerful engine.
Audi/VW was first in the 2 litre turbo motor by some 10 years. We have owned a few Audi's with this motor and currently own a 2015 Audi Allroad 2.0. I agree, performance and MPG are a modern miracle.
Toyota is coming out with its turbo 4 program. Conservatively they do this with greater reliability than the german built.
My father in law's supra has and INLINE SIX TWIN TURBO making 320 HP and the car is 20 years old!!! Its an amazing motor! Unmolested it still goes with no major issues with 160,000 miles on it!!!!
That's impressive by any make regardless of the country of origin!

And to be fair, "Japs" is a derogatory term to use.

·
Registered
493 Posts
To be fair, GS350 is a V6 and by some measurement a more powerful engine.
Audi/VW was first in the 2 litre turbo motor by some 10 years. We have owned a few Audi's with this motor and currently own a 2015 Audi Allroad 2.0. I agree, performance and MPG are a modern miracle.
Toyota is coming out with its turbo 4 program. Conservatively they do this with greater reliability than the german built.
My father in law's supra has and INLINE SIX TWIN TURBO making 320 HP and the car is 20 years old!!! Its an amazing motor! Unmolested it still goes with no major issues with 160,000 miles on it!!!!
That's impressive by any make regardless of the country of origin!

And to be fair, "Japs" is a derogatory term to use.
Totally agree. You gotta compare apples to apples here. Lexus does have a 4 cyl T in their GS line. Although the wife and I both drive BMWs (F10 and F07), the reliability just isn't there compared to all the Toyota line. When your F10 is out of warranty and crap starts falling apart and your neighbors 100k+ lexus GS drives like the day he bought it, you may think twice about your next car. Most people I know with BMWs have had issues compared to everyone I know with Lexus' have not. BTW, my F07 is in the shop as I'm typing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
While there is verifiable evidence that BMW and many German automobiles arent as dependable as their Japanese counterparts. If one were to look over at the Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc etc etc forums you will see many of the same topics we see here. Most people here, including myself, are quite happy with our BMW's over one of the Japanese luxury cars, even given the every now and then trip to the dealership. My old 525 never had a major issue. The only thing I can remember doing to that car was having the right headlight pigtail replaced, and I had both front seats adjusted due to the linkage becoming loose. Other than that nothing but routine maintenance. I'm sorry I am just a bimmer guy and no matter what, that is all I will drive. By the way, I have owned over 100 cars in my lifetime. Now if I ever get the opportunity to own a new Porsche I may change my mind. Until then I will stick with the Ultimate Driving Machine and take my chances. :thumbup:

Totally agree. You gotta compare apples to apples here. Lexus does have a 4 cyl T in their GS line. Although the wife and I both drive BMWs (F10 and F07), the reliability just isn't there compared to all the Toyota line. When your F10 is out of warranty and crap starts falling apart and your neighbors 100k+ lexus GS drives like the day he bought it, you may think twice about your next car. Most people I know with BMWs have had issues compared to everyone I know with Lexus' have not. BTW, my F07 is in the shop as I'm typing.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for those that were offended with japs my apologies it wasn't meant with harm or intent
i completely disagree with all on the gs vs f10
the 528 with the 4 cylinder get mpg as described or realistically combined 27 mpg with the right driver using cruise. the Gs gets about 21 mpg on average thats a 35% swing
the n20 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2.0 in the nx and gs and recently in the is. the n20 is lag free and runs to redline and keeps building power,
the japanese car has lag on low end, for me a no go just like the audi 2.0 and power tapers off at around 5k not on our n20
for lexus to come out 4 years later with the comparable motor have a 15% deficiency in mpg with the turbo, lag and power issues its a complete testament to the engineering of the bmw with the motor side of the house
and as far as realiabitly.. i was worried about coming from the ls but the more i drive my care realize the build quality , change my plugs every 40k , change oil every 7500 with penziol platinum ultra or bmw 's oil whis is the same i think this motor will run for 200k without issues. even the timing chain vs belt is great, no power steering pump to fail.
the one thing that is probably the best of engineering that bmw spent the time to do right is the 8 speed zf with the 3 and the 5 its set up unreal. its perfect, seamless and kicks down without hunting. try that with the new lexus powertrain its a joke.
so yes i compare it to a gs350 all day long and loving it getting 37 mpg today while the j a p a n e s e car would be getting at most 30 on highway on average any traffic its dipping to 25mpg
cheers

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and forgot to add look at 0-60 times and quarter mile and the 4 stacks up quite well
i am a fan of the 6 in the gs and the lexus line in my opinion the combo fuel injecition/direct inject is smart avoids what issue we find in the 535
with carbon buildup

chew on this
had a avalon loaner as my 5 was getting oil changed drove city for half day burned thru 5 gallons of gas in about 70-80 miles
those days are over for me
i drive 130 miles a day half highway half city and use about 4.5 gallons a day
the v6 and to my point lexus was caught with their pants down playing catch up and with all the engineering prowess to come up with the 2.0 in the nx is, gs drive it its light years behind our n20 and now the n20 successor is releasing in the next months.. bmw is 2 to 4 years ahead with motor technology and powertrain set up with transmission tuning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts