BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sup Bimmer Guys,

Ok since last week I heard a cracking on my window and thought that it was just a little rock or dirt that got in between the window rail. I moved the window up and down a couple times and wala it was all good again.

Well today I heard the same noise and did the same thing but this time my window got stuck and didn't work. :mad:

I found out it was the window regulator.

Anyone know where is the best place to get a window regulator? And what is better a OEM or after market regulator?

And is there a DIY tutorial that anyone has so I can do this 1 myself is possible.:thumbup:

Thank You God Bless

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
My dad replaced his regulator on his e46 330i. Cost him a fair amount.
Very common apparently,

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let us know what you decide as my front driver side window is also kaput.

Here are the links in the bestlinks sticky.
- POWER WINDOWS SUDDENLY STOP WORKING: low-quality unreliable window regulator mechanisms (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) and for other models (1) (2) (3) (4)

THanks man very helpful info.

Ok I found these to regulators 1 from ebay and another 1 froma website.

Ebay-http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/528i-2000-2003-BMW-E39-M5-window-regulator-front-left-N-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb1fbcea4QQitemZ260684107428QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Website-http://http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/22817/nm/BMW+E39+Front+Left+Window+Regulator+1997-2003+

·
25,199 Posts
I found these to regulators
Thanks for listing that as it can come in handy for others (including me).

What I almost never do is just go and buy the parts if I can help it.

What I do is look and diagnose the problem ... then I go and buy the parts.

So, until I rip the door open, I won't be getting anything ... but I'll let everyone know what the diagnosis is when I find my rount tuit (probably after Christmas!).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for listing that as it can come in handy for others (including me).

What I almost never do is just go and buy the parts if I can help it.

What I do is look and diagnose the problem ... then I go and buy the parts.

So, until I rip the door open, I won't be getting anything ... but I'll let everyone know what the diagnosis is when I find my rount tuit (probably after Christmas!).
Yea I know what you mean I actually have a little suction cup in the bottom of the window I am not really stressing it even though it rained last night :eek:.

But I have a little problem now, yesterday that I took the door panel out and put back after I knew I couldn't do it because I didn't have a clue at the time of what I should do.

The door handle from the inside is not working properly and I have to lower the rear back window and stick my hand out to open my door :dunno:.

I talked to my uncle today he said the regulator cost $150 at the dealer. I know there are cheaper places I can get the regulator at but at the same time I don't want to have the same issue in the near future with this door so I don't mind spending that money if I don't have to deal with it again.:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Here are a buncha pics from my replacement of the window lifter (regulator) on the front passenger door of my 2001 530i.

Attachments

·
25,199 Posts
Here are a buncha pics from my replacement of the window lifter (regulator) on the front passenger door of my 2001 530i.
Hi Ågent99,
Those sure are wonderful pics! I added a link to them in the bestlinks for the window regulator.

For me, I'll bet they become priceless only after I remove the door panel and then look to see what's wrong.

I'll then compare what I see in my front drivers-side door (with the glass taped up for now) against what yours looks like.

Generally we compare one side of the car to the other side, but, in the case of the doors, nobody wants to open up a door that they don't have to; so that's where your pics will be invaluable.

Thanks for pitching in to help others!
Bluebee

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Sweet Good Looking out :thumbup:.

Quick question when you bought the regulator did you go OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks
I went OEM on the lifter (regulator)...I didn't even bother looking aftermarket. Simple plug 'n chug, really.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went OEM on the lifter (regulator)...I didn't even bother looking aftermarket. Simple plug 'n chug, really.
Yea went OEM on mine also like the say you have to pay to play :rofl:.

My uncle did the install it took like 30 mins I took a few pics but he got a little paranoid getting all of his bizz lol.

I feel way more relaxed now specially not that its raining don't have to worry about any other parts getting damaged.

Now just need to change the rear wheel bearnings and i'll be good.

Thx to everyone that posted in here and gave me great feed back

Merry Xmas and God Bless :angel:.

·
25,199 Posts

·
25,199 Posts

·
25,199 Posts
For reference, here are probably a hundred or more pictures of the task:
- How to diagnose and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.