BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a 1997 528i. Recently odd electrical problems started happening.

First the clock on my radio dispaly dissapeared and never came back.

Then the bell that dings 4-5 times when you switch the key to position two stopped ringing when I go to position 2 directly but if I do it slowly and go first to position one and then position 2 then it'll start ringing.

Also, the dashboard is showing a tail light problem but there's no problem with my tail light.

And one last thing, when the car is turned of and I open the door and then turn on the car while the door is still open...the dashboard keeps showing that all doors are closed until I lower the window by pressing the window buttun while it's still open or until I close it and reopen it again.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi maher528,
Thank you for your reply. What does that mean exactly? do I need to change the key itself or something else?

·
Registered
229 Posts
No problem. This would be your first, easiest, and cheapest trial. BTW you can test to see if it is the ignition switch by trying to open the passenger visor and exposing the mirror to see if any wierd things happen. If so, it is definitely the ignition switch but it might not always be the case. I would say go for it anyway. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The passenger visor light works fine when the mirror is exposed. But the driver visor's light does not come on when it's exposed unless I turn on the head lights. I don't know if that's the norm for the driver's visor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL...Thank you very much for your help. I'll replace it and let you know. It's not cheap though, it's going around $75 on autohausaz.com...I've been told that's one of the best online places, price and quality wise.

·
Registered
229 Posts
.I've been told that's one of the best online places, price and quality wise.
True that. You must have bought the car recently. $75 for a fix is pretty cheap considering this car. I would recommend preparing yourself before asking a dealership or indy how much it will cost to fix something. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I had it for two years now but didn't have that many problems....I bought it and it had 132K Miles on it. Only one time when the radiator started leaking and I asked the guys here in this board and they recommended getting the parts from autohausaz.com.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts