BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

528i hg job

691 7
Hey guys and gals. Ive run into a bit of a doozie here. I need to replace the head gasket on my 528 and am a bit lost as to how this is done. Ive tried finding links and vids and such, but havent had much luck, and the service manual calls for a ton of special tools, and i doubt most are even needed, on top of that the manual makes everything over complicated and a bit confusing. Im wondering if anyone knows where a simple DIY instruction is on this job? Im not too sure what engine i have, but i beleive its the M52, however if im incorrect or you know how i can find out please do tell.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Bump

Please explain the circumstances that led up to this point. Does the car have a history of overheating ? If YES, how many episodes ? Was the car driven after the overheating was noticed ?
I bought the car as a project from my landlord. It didnt run when i got it from him, but after a bit of work i did get it started. By that hurricane came through here and water flooded three of the spark plugs and probably more passed that. Ive been wanting to get a rebuild done anyway but since i have make sure water isnt deeper in there anyway, im gonna replace somethings including the hg. I just dont know how to get past the camshafts and timing chain properly.

So what makes you think it needs a head gasket ? This is not a "normal maintainance" item. Did you have a compression/leakdown test performed ? If not, *you should*, before entertaining any further ideas about pulling the head off. That`s not a job for the faint-of-heart....
I bought the car as a project from my landlord. It didnt run when i got it from him, but after a bit of work i did get it started. By that hurricane came through here and water flooded three of the spark plugs and probably more passed that. Ive been wanting to get a rebuild done anyway but since i have make sure water isnt deeper in there anyway, im gonna replace somethings including the hg. I just dont know how to get past the camshafts and timing chain properly.

Nothing really. Im enjoying myself with the car. I understand its no easy task, but i planned on doing a rebuild on the engine anyway to clean the sludge out of it. It sat for about 3 years in a yard and i figured i would get to taking it apart and cleaning it up at some point. Get a list of everything thats wrong with the engine and put them in as i put it back together.

So what makes you think it needs a head gasket ? This is not a "normal maintainance" item. Did you have a compression/leakdown test performed ? If not, *you should*, before entertaining any further ideas about pulling the head off. That`s not a job for the faint-of-heart....
How many miles on the car? Before you tear it apart, do some diagnostics on it. It may just need some fresh oil and coolant. Why carve off more work than necessary?

Get a copy of the TIS on ebaY. The Germans are quite specific about the special tools necessary to do a job. Just like everything else, w/o the tools, you can do a half-assed job, and maybe be sorry.
I simply typed /head gasket F3 into the bestlinks and it came up with this (among others):

- DIY for replacing the I6 M54 head gasket (1) (2) & replacing the V8 M62TU head gasket (1) & why these engines are so prone to heat-related damage in the first place (1)
Ive tried finding links and vids and such, but havent had much luck
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.