BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
Attached is a 1996 Volvo 850 (P80 model) to show the Ni-Cu pipes that Volvo has used for yrs and yrs. You can see that, despite being in a rust belt with salt used in the winter, there was no corrosion on the Volvo brake pipe.

From an engineering standpoint, steel brake pipe can handle more psi than Ni-Cu pipes before bursting.
However, the Ni-Cu burst pressure is also very high, way higher than a panic brake can produce.
Trust me, many car mfg's use Ni-Cu pipes...

---

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is the kit that I used, made in Denmark, according to OE specs, especially for the E39. All the brake lines. Once you bend it, it becomes really hard to straighten.
20210721_062820.jpg
20210721_062724.jpg
20210721_062850.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Under the lift arms
13,219 Posts
Ive worked lots of volvo's. Ive repaired lines many times I never noticed copper lines,

Im interested in this now.. I want to know more..

I cant seem to find anywhere that sells this in America, this is a danish company.. I wounder if we are not allowed this in America

·
Registered
498 Posts
It is possible that they are not approved for NA and the laws vary from state to state in the US, but what I know for sure it is a must in Denmark, possible Sweden and Norway also, they have pretty much the same legislations, guys at inspection, 1st thing they said it was that it is a diy job, no "mechanic" in Denmark would do it so clean and neat. It says on the paper that came inside the box that they are according to OE specs. Danish take this approval things really seriously.

·
Registered
53 Posts
taz are the brake lines already cut the correct length or do you have to cut them and splice them again?

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
Virtually all the Volvos I have had (1998 S70, 1998 V70, 2004 V70, 2005 XC90 etc.) had Ni-Cu line
from the factory. Absolutely no corrosion at all.

It is cost issues. Let's say at O'Reilly Auto Parts store: a 20-inch pipe is $6 for steel, then it is almost $10 for Ni-Cu.

Search using keyword "Bubble NiCopp". When buying the unions, make sure you buy the correct unions at the store: try it at the store for the correct spec:
  • Bubble vs Double flare
  • Thread Pitch

Here is a Ni-Copp pipe at O'Reilly...

---

Attachments

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
I just inspected my 1998 528i with 186K miles.
Midwest winter with salt etc., but I wash my chassis every Spring around April-May or so.

• To undo the plastic clip: gently remove the center pin first...
  • One 10-mm nut...
  • Just remove a few clips and the 10-mm nut just enough for inspection.

For the most part, the brake pipes are in good shape! I'd say 90% good, except for a few areas of very minor break in the coating with very very minor surface rust...

So, this is good bc I don't have to replace the brake pipes, a job I know exactly what to do but I hate it lol...

---

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
They look really good, just how mine used to look and the fucxxx failed me and made me change them.

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
@Taz,

You live in an interesting country...
If you look at my brake pipes posted above, I personally think they are fine (i.e. still serviceable).
Any inspectors that want these lines to be replaced: what training/authority they have over people?
Can you ask for a 2nd inspector?

Just curious bc it is a BIG job for something that may not need to be replaced at all...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I am reading that Denmark's Bilsyn inspection centers may be a tough (thorough) as Germany's TUV inspections. It seems to me that both systems want to get old cars off the road. Sreten on M539 Restorations (youtube) talks a lot about TUV and how to get an older BMW to pass inspection...apparently, everything has to be fresh and OEM.

·
Registered
498 Posts
@cn90 No, not really, they all stand out for each other and they are protected by the authority. He thinks the car is not quite safe, he puts it off the road, just because he has a certificate that allows him to work in an inspection facility( syn), but he doesn't know the difference between a left hand thread and a right hand one. He studied exactly what he needs to know for that job and nothing else.
When I was at my last inspection( syn), before me was a dead beat toyota avensis rusty as hell. I was afraid to look at it. It passed without problems. 5 min on the stand and off.
He took the e39 for a test drive, did gasses, checked all the bushings, arms, ball joints, everything, tested the aim of the headlights, sprinklers, wipers, tires depth. Everything, everything.
The same with my Chevy Aveo( Sonic for the US) but that had 30.000 km not 300.000km. That toyota didn't even have sprinklers. They picked on the fact that I have Led's. I told them, that it's not specified in any law what tipe of filament the bulb should have as long as there are no mods to the original system of the car.
Why... why do that.
My e39 is spotless and perfect mechanical wise. Whenever I hear something off, I change it. I told them also to check that toyota like that. They said they did and I just didn't see it. Racist mother f....e. The drive an e46 that barely holds together and it has the company logo and information as an advert.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am reading that Denmark's Bilsyn inspection centers may be a tough (thorough) as Germany's TUV inspections. It seems to me that both systems want to get old cars off the road. Sreten on M539 Restorations (youtube) talks a lot about TUV and how to get an older BMW to pass inspection...apparently, everything has to be fresh and OEM.
Sreten is right, but Germans are Germans.
Danish take on the shoes wrong.
If the car is worthy, then why mess with people nerves. Yes the cars have to be in perfect driving condition. And there is tax wise also. The older it is the more expensive it gets. Aveo/Sonic is 120$ a year in tax, the e39 is 1200$
My 2017 Iveco is double in tax as my 2021 Iveco, just because it doesn't run Adblue. The cars have the same engine and gb, they are literally identical. Danish don't care about cars, at all. They buy them in 2021 without ac and electric windows( we don't need that) and then you see them all moistened and fogged up, with towels all around the windows. And they are proud of it. They drive on the highways with all 4 windows open in a brand new merc or bmw. Ac is bad. They love bicycles, that's where the rage against the machines comes from and want them of the road. Copenhagen wants to be 100% green by 2025. Ain't happening.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I grew up in communism, the real one, not much different. Danish "Militia" never goes after criminals, they go after normal people cause they don't fight back and pay the fines. My work car was broken in and stole a crap Kenwood 2 din unit from it. Called the cops and they said they can't do anything about it because they don't know the thieves. I asked if I should leave a not for the thieves next time to give a picture, address and Cpr nr, so it would be easier for the "militia" to find them. They answered very seriously on the phone that would help a lot and they MIGHT find them. They also RECOMMENDED to take it with my insurance. 2 weeks after it happened again, on my god damn driveway. They stole a " wunder baum" air freshener and my phone holder. 5$ in total. I have told the cops that I have installed cctv. They asked if the face of the thief is clearly visible. I said yes, they said they can't do much because they probably can't identify him.
Fucking Militia.
But I got a fine for a seat belt, because the officer didn't see it when he passed me in traffic. Went to court. He admitted that I had the belt on when he came to me and can't say 100% that I didn't have before but he thinks he didn't saw the time he passed me. The judge said that she will not undermine the officer's authority and he's under oath and if he thinks he didn't see then there nothing she will do about it. I had to pay 250$ because jacket collar was covering the belt. She said that only in a superior European court I might win because all the Danish courts will be against me and supporting the officer.
I live in an really rich, only Danish and second lowest crime neighborhood in Copenhagen. The lowest crime one is right next door to my neighborhood. So a really safe area. 7 brake ins in 2020 and 5 in the other one.
They pose as the people's country and democratic and that crap. In the end it's just an illusion and marketing bullshit.
At least the in communism, thieves feared the real Militia, everyone one did.
I have a lot of stories like this....

·
Registered
9 Posts
After a bit more prowling around it looks like I should just cut out the rusty crap and make new lines that bridge that rusty parts. I have never fabricated brake lines beforethat so it will be a learning experience. Plus, that means I can buy another tool, the brake line flaring set. I am always up for buying another tool! I am retired so I have lots of time to do this stuff:)
Be aware that BMW (and most German cars use metric sized lines and the flares are “bubble flares”. As has been said elsewhere, the nickel/copper lines are easier to form and less likely to rust.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts