BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished a leisurely 529 mile business trip on one tank of gas and averaged 34.0 miles per gallon. About ½ the trip was in the rain, on a mixture of interstate, back roads, dirt roads, and city. Set the cruise at 7 MPH over posted speed limit most of the time when able, top speed with cruise was 90 MPH, lowest speed with cruise was 42 MPH. Overall averaged 45.6 MPH. I was running of fumes at the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Heading out on a 450 mile journey Friday; hope I can get somewhat close to that....dont plan on runnin on "fumes" though...too scared of fuel pump/filter failure!

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was worried about that too but felt better when it took 15.6 gallons of gas to fill up. Now it says the range is 590 miles. Imagine that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
anyone else hate cruise control?? I hate the fact that my right foot is doing nothing. I always need my foot on the throttle, making changes accordingly. anyone else feel this way? I drive manual

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
I agree with rabbit that I don't like cruise either, but it no doubt saves gas.

Nice job on 500+ miles on a tank! I don't do better than 300 or so where I usually drive... plus my heavy right foot. I used to get 500 miles on a tank sometimes in my accord, 17 gallon tank with a tiny 4cyl.

Anyone else see the episode of top gear where they go 700+ miles on one tank, in a vw polo, subaru legacy diesel, and a jag (that one is suspicious)? Maybe I've never had a car that could do that but it seemed like a stretch...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I love my cruise control, i don't know what I would do with out it (probably wedge a baseball bat in between my seat and center console to hold the pedal down :rofl:)

But i am pretty sure that it does not save any gas, but P_T congrats on the amazing gas mileage, especailly at those speeds :thumbup:

·
Function over fashion
887 Posts
Generally it's better to keep a constant speed than to constantly adjust, even little bits at a time, at least for mileage... if you're on a hilly road you might be better off without cruise but on flatter roads it helps!

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with rabbit that I don't like cruise either, but it no doubt saves gas.

Nice job on 500+ miles on a tank! I don't do better than 300 or so where I usually drive... plus my heavy right foot. I used to get 500 miles on a tank sometimes in my accord, 17 gallon tank with a tiny 4cyl.

Anyone else see the episode of top gear where they go 700+ miles on one tank, in a vw polo, subaru legacy diesel, and a jag (that one is suspicious)? Maybe I've never had a car that could do that but it seemed like a stretch...
Yes, I saw that, and I also saw Top Gear (love that show) where they took a Prius around a track at max speed followed by a M3. The M3 got better fuel milage. Hey, I got 31 MPG on the Interstate in my Corvette at 80MPH with the cruise on. Just goes to shows what aerodynamics and fuel management can do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was got to a range of 510 after a refill on a liesurely drive down to Key Largo one afternoon. That's the best I've ever done. Can't remeber the ave MPG, had to be in the 33-34 range, though. Probably averaged 50 MPH on ostly interstate (city) and two lane US1.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was got to a range of 510 after a refill on a liesurely drive down to Key Largo one afternoon. That's the best I've ever done. Can't remeber the ave MPG, had to be in the 33-34 range, though. Probably averaged 50 MPH on ostly interstate (city) and two lane US1.
Yea, I know the road. This trip was from Sebastian, to the west coast, around Lake Okeechobee, to WPB and back. Long day but it was a treat not having an tight schedule and just being able to cruise and smell the roses.

Don't get me wrong though...I do hammer this thing from time to time. Three weeks ago had the cruise set at 137 MPH! Wasn't getting real good mileage then though.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Good job! Nice to see another E46er maximizing fuel economy. The most I've got was 625 miles @ 38.5MPH with an average speed of around 60MPH. My regular driving around town and the country is 450 miles/tank.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very cool and not unusual. In cali i made SF/LA runs and EASILY managed 31 mpg going 80~85mph.... that includes the hilly climbes and whatnot. :thumbup:
I know what you mean. Did a 2,600 mile trip to NC last Christmas and cruised normally around 85 - 90, and occasionally over 115 MPH on the interstate, with back roads and around town at 7 MPH over posted speed limit. At the end of the trip the overall average was 31.1 MPG.

Hey, it's a tiny motor.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good job! Nice to see another E46er maximizing fuel economy. The most I've got was 625 miles @ 38.5MPH with an average speed of around 60MPH. My regular driving around town and the country is 450 miles/tank.
625 miles @ 38.5MPH

If you ment 38.5 MPG, now I have a goal to beat :) :p :) :p

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
WOW. I didn't know BMW 6 in-line has same mpg as Toyota Prius Electrical on hwy. I think BMW should get award for for highest mpg in the world.
I think BMW e46 can drive on fresh air only.
You're funny guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts