BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....i have problem with remote closing.Here is the story: A month ago i noticed that car wont' open like before. It was impossible to open it from distance...and even when you stood near the car. It takes a dozen of attempts on open button to open it....The closing worked fine(on first attempt). I assumed that battery was bad....so i replace it..after replacing i made programming of the key (press open button...and then three times close button). Central lock made lock-unlock mode proiperly. But after that the car won't close. I must close it by turning lock on the door. But i can open it via remote....on first attempt...and even from the greater distance ( ex...from the window of my apartment). What' going on ?

The car is fitted with factory alarm...

Open mode work fine...trunk opening work fine....but closing...no way !

Does someone expirienced this issue ?

Thank you guys !

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Did you charge the new cell before programming the key?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you charge the new cell before programming the key?
NO...the cell comes from another key...which was practically unused and new...but stood a long time in my shelf (from my previous e39 2001.). When out the cell had a voltage of 2.92 V. Presuming that it will be charged during driving the car.. :)

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I know the OP has a new style (diamond shaped) remote key...but when the old style remote key (with the red status LED light) will UNLOCK the vehicle...but not LOCK the vehicle...that is usually a sign that the battery (inside the key) is between 2.6 volts - 2.2 volts. It's probably the same for the new style key with the rechargeable battery, too.

{See #1 under 2nd bullet titled: "NO LED ACTIVITY" in info below}

Since the OP stated that they replaced the original battery with a "cell" from a key that had been sitting awhile on the shelf...perhaps the voltage wasn't up to par. It takes a good 30 hours to recharge a discharged "new style" key...a short charge can get the key to work for a while...but it may start acting up again. See 3rd 7 4th bullet below about the new style key and its "rechargeable" battery:

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
My car has reported a low cell twice since I've owned it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I've been fortunate that it's only happened once...and I happened to catch it for posterity. :) But I don't think the new style remote keys send that message any longer...which is one of the several reasons I like the old style remote keys better. They may not have the "purty" little colored Roundel button...but the old style remotes are more communicative as to what's going on with them in regards to their function & replaceable battery....in the signal being sent (acknowledged by the red status LED)...and if the battery is low (get a warning in the cluster's display...or the red LED on the key responds with a weak illumination or none at all(. Plus when you do need to replace the battery...you just undo the 2 screws on the back to remove and drop in the new replacement CR 2016 battery that you picked up at the local Walmart jewelry counter). ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your anwsers guys....i think that i will try to buy a brand new battery...and replaced it once again.....Better this than buying a new diamond key for 200 dollars.... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts