BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be any benefit to switching out the single muffler from a 530i to M5 dual mufflers? A local M5 owner removed this (attached) set when his M5 was new. What else is needed for the swap. Looking at my exhaust, it's almost like it was designed for the option to split it into duals, at least a single head pipe into dual mufflers.

Attachments

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Nope. You might gain 1-2hp but lose that power with the added weight of the cans. Plus if you get under your cars ass you'll see that the spare wheel well gets in the way so youll have to cut it up for a nice fit with the stock bumper.

Now if you were to get the m5 bumper you could get away with a low profile muffler or a muffler delete and running some pipe with tips in that area.

Anyway unless you're getting a full system any changes will yield neglible power gains. Now if you're after sound many go with a simple muffler swap or delete.

·
2000 M5
810 Posts
Been discussed many a time.

Like above. Not worth it. To much dicking around and to get what, more noise and no hp gain. Just make your stock exhaust louder is that is what you want. If you do the X pipe delete, right off the bat you save about 50 lbs. Better than adding on 20 lbs

Lets put it this way. I have my stock cans off my M5 sitting in my garage right now, and I would never consider it

·
2000 M5
810 Posts
If you want a suggestion, do the X pipe delete. Buy yourself a magnaflow 14815 or 14816 and a resonator of your choice and have an exhaust shop fab it in for you. You will be way happier with the cost and sound.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

As per above, not worth it at all, the M5 exhaust and the rear silencers themselves weigh a lot and there's a lot of work needed to get them to fit. There's many threads where owners have done a quad tailpipe conversion and used the less work required and much much lighter stainless steel small boxes route.

Cheers, Dennis!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts