Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone

Just bought myself a 2007 530i (93k) and I am stoked!
As a previous owner of an E46, I wanted to check in with the fam here on the key areas I should look at for preventative maintenance.

Previous owner had replaced the water pump and sensor at 70k miles. I guess I will look at replacing the water pump around 120k based on the comments in this forum. He also replaced the ignition coils, spark plugs and starter a few thousand miles ago.

I did a close inspection of the engine and found there is some oil deposits on the top side of the engine gasket (not sure if this is the valve cover gasket) so that might need to be looked at. Will also check for leaks in general.

What other parts should I look at that may fail in this engine? And do folks here recommend changing the transmission fluid (93k miles but 11 years old now).

Thank You very much!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have an '06 530xi. Besides the dreaded valve cover gasket, I encountered the oil housing gasket, check or replace the serpentine belt and idler pulley if it hasn't been done.

Another oil leak came from the oil pan gasket that is a bear to replace if you have an AWD. It's also expensive if you're doing it at a dealer or Indy.

Also, if you get that stupid passenger airbag light, it could be the seat mat sensor which depending on your VIN, may have been a recall item or not.

If you have a wagon and an air suspension, the bag could leak or in my case, the compressor failed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome,
I have just made the move over myself. Replaced my 03 330xi with 200,450mi into a 05 530i 49,000mi. I also have an 05 X5 3.0 and an 04 325xi 2.5. I like that I have all the same engine in my 3 BMW's that I maintain.
Knowing these engines fairly well now, I would say a small VCG leak is very common and in addition the OFHG is probably leaking as well.

Tom

·
Registered
814 Posts
OP, Change ALL fluids on the car! Brake fluid, engine oil & filter, ATF w/pan & filter, differential, transfer case, cooling system coolant and power steering. Ensure the proper fluid is used for the changes.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
OP, Change ALL fluids on the car! Brake fluid, engine oil & filter, ATF w/pan & filter, differential, transfer case, cooling system coolant and power steering. Ensure the proper fluid is used for the changes.

^this and your serpentine belt and air filter and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for that!

I just watched a few videos on Youtube and it seems that the newer engines have a plastic valve cover which has the oil separator built in ( looks like a round cap with a spring) and has a high failure rate (we can tell this is the oil cap is hard to remove to to pressure).

In the E60, I could not find an "oil separator" part. I am assuming this is the same as the PCV valve under the intake manifold. Definitely plan to get this replaced along with the hoses in the near future.

Anyone know if I should replace the MAF sensor or the O2 sensors or the Crankshaft position sensors (or any other parts that are likely to break) while doing all this work? Figured I could same some money on labor down the road if those components fail often.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts