BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have had a 528i manual for about a year - it has been my first BMW and besides one overheat scare (I think I had introduced air into the system; bled the cooling system on an incline and no issues since) it has been a nearly perfect car. I've been ogling the 530i sport, so I recently picked up a '01 530i manual sport/premium/nav w/ 89K miles for $15,750.

I have definitely enjoyed the sport package, and the acceleration seems to be a little better. However after a month of driving I have noticed a few issues I'd like some help with. The throttle by wire is driving me up a wall. It seems like throttle response is really touchy, i.e. too much throttle at what would be half throttle in my 528i. Also my car makes a slight ticking noise, sounds like top end noise, and seems to have a vibration at about 1K RPM. Other people don't seem to notice it, but I am pretty tuned into it. The engine somehow doesn't seem *quite* as silky smooth as the 528i (with 147K miles).

One other complaint - my driver's seat makes a clicking shift through corners and I can feel it right under my bum. Does any one else have this problem?

I think I have the shift detent problem as well. The detent sticks going into 5th gear, and I have changed the fluid to Redline D4-ATF. It seemed to improve overall shifting, but not the detent problem. It isn't a big issue right now, but I hear that things get bad when it gets cold.

I'd appreciate some comments. I bought my '97 528i w/ 126K for $7700 (salvage titled), and it has been a great car for a year. Buying the newer one has so far been a good experience, but sometimes I am not sure that the newer car was worth the ~10K over my previous car. It isn't a lot different, and it isn't a huge leap forward from what I was driving before. However, the features of the newer car sold me - clean title, xenon, color, sport package, lower miles. Hopefully I am just picking this car apart unreasonably because I somehow expected to have a significantly different experience with the 530i.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i can't comment on everything you mentioned, but i do agree on the fact that some cars just drive better than others. while it's ideal to find a super clean car w/ perfect records and history, i found that the car doesn't always drive the best. in fact, sometimes used cars w/o any history test drive great. unfortunately, it often requires more preventive stuff along the day, but at least it drives well. i guess it's just like life - it's often a trade-off, and importantly, the grass seems to always be greener on the other side.

PL

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
It is the luck of the draw sometimes. And I have to agree clean looking cars are not always better driving car.

I think there some real issue with the detent in all manual trans that mate up to 3.0 liter engine. I have the same problem, and yes it gets worse in the winter, you'll be like WTF!

I like my 97 528 better than my 01 530. Maybe it has to do with single and double vanos.
I would love to get my hands on a 97 or 98 528 with low miles.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey Czar,

Like previously mentioned; "grass is always greener." I too agree that not many manual gear boxes mated with the 3.0 I6 are perfect. I had two other BMW's with the I6 manual gear box combo, each had different issues and both of them I traded out of prematurely. The first car I traded in on a '01 330xi. The x drive added another dimension to the transmission issues I had in the previous car and to make a long story short, I will go only as far as mentioning that BMW trade assisted me out of the 330xi and I ended up with an '03 530is A. Honestly, I don't miss the M. gear box. I love to shift but this car is fine with the Auto. Unless I get an M5, I am going to stick with a sport A. alternative.
I loved all of my BMW's, with the added gear box glitches, they still drove better then any other alternatives I was considering at the time of purchase. BMW tried new clutches, fly wheels, gates, transmission mounts, transmissions, engine mounts, more clutches only to improve the shifting for a short period of time and once winter came around; WTF! Unless you have a heated garage it will get worse however, it should not ruin the ultimate driving experience.
The seat clicking you experience are the rails. I had that same complaint on my '03 530is A. Under heaving braking/cornering and starting out I would experience a little alloy sounding click and the seat shifted very slightly underneath me. BMW ordered some new rails and installed them in the car and re-installed the seat; good as gold my friend. Might be a TSB on it so check with your dealer. You might get it covered.
The tapping sounds like Vanos. I don't have any tapping other than what is considered "normal" tapping that occurs at cold start-up for the first 2 to 3 seconds. Do a search for your tapping symptoms and you will find a plethora of information on it.
Good luck my friend.
Cc

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
check your sparl plugs on the 530i they are regular platitum which should be replaced every 60K miles, I noticed a huge improvement in low end and mpg, also replace the fuel filter, that also seemed to help quite a bit..good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check your sparl plugs on the 530i they are regular platitum which should be replaced every 60K miles, I noticed a huge improvement in low end and mpg, also replace the fuel filter, that also seemed to help quite a bit..good luck
Well I don't feel I am lacking any power and if anything, my car is getting better MPG than the 528i. I have averaged 27.3 MPG since I bought it, and on a road trip got 33 MPG. Sounds like the seat and shift detent are common issues. This car (right now) is definitely harder to drive than the 528i I had before. I am *almost* tempted to sell the 530i and just keep the 528i with its problems. The temptation there is that it might be better to have the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i got a 530i in seattle... i like my car... but recently since i brought it up here... yeah i can feel the car vibrating as i start the car... especially when its cold... when the rpms are at 1k... i give it alil gas and bring it up to temp its ok... i hear its a common issues... its normal... something to do with the vanos and lack of oil.... but overall its an awesome car... as for the seat clicking id go ahead and get that checked out if its bothering you alot...

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Ditto on the spark plugs. I replaced mine when I did my inspection II a few weeks ago, and the mileage has improved 2-3 mpg even though my commute is all lead-footed city driving.

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
just check the plugs man, it takes all of 20 minutes it may help smooth things out I love my 530i I am keeping it to give to my son when he turns 16 in the year 2021

·
Registered
73 Posts
I get the touchy gas pedal. You have to try NOT to press it rather than press. YOu had to press to go anywhere with my e36, but both my e39s you have to modulate the gas so much the muscle along the top of my foot gets worn out and painful. I'm going to put a piece of hard foam underneath it, see if that works.

·
Registered
344 Posts
How did this thread jump from August 2007 to December 2012?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts