BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am doing some research to fix up my 530i that I just got used with 220k miles on it. I love the car but it has a shake at freeway speeds and only when turning or curving to the right. I also notice it hits bumps and potholes harder on the passenger front side. I am thinking it's a shock/strut issue on the front passenger side. Does this sound right? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I moved your question to our E39 5 series forum, you'll get more help in here. My guess is control arms and control arm bushings. Plus you prob need new struts and shocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I will definitely look into the control arms. I'm certain that the passenger side strut/shock is bad by how it takes bumps and assumed the shaking was part of the same problem. Any thoughts on which to get to first? I'm on a limited budget. Very limited.obviously I want to fix the most important things first and whatever can wait can wait. Thanks again

·
Under the lift arms
13,017 Posts
get rid of the car if your on a limited budget, this is not a Budget friendly car,

Figure about 1000$ for 4 struts and then another 500$ for the rest of the front components, and then hmmm another 500$ for the rear components

I would replace the front struts first, then the front 4 arms, then the tie rods (and or steering i6/v8) do a alignment, then move to the rear struts, then rear arms and another alignment

4 jobs each one being about 300-500$ in parts each time, (*assuming you can do the work your self)

IF you cant do the work your self add on another 1000Bucks

This will get you to the 200-400k miles area

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was certain I needed front struts until I changed my lower control arms. Discovered play in the thrust arm bushings. Now I'm certain that's my issue and also the source of my pesky front end rattle. There's a really good diy on a front suspension refresh in the bestlinks. Find and read.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I won't be getting rid of the car based on your comment I appreciate the tips. As for the rest of you guys comments thank you very much. It all helps

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
Mine did it due to bad front rotors. Since our inline cars have very light suspension components, they tend to be more sensitive to worn parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're on a tight budget and can do the work yourself, you can enjoy this fine car. What you need to have is time. And learn to diagnose the failing component. If you're sensitive to the behaviour of the car, you can narrow it down easier. If not, you have to get in there and move stuff around to find the worn component and replace.

I would look in this order: 1) trailing arm bushing. (I hate that thing) it is replaceable on it's own, and you can do it while it's on the car. 2)Tie rod ends. 3) the ball joints on the ends of the arms.

The shock may be worn, but don't think it would cause the vibration you are describing.

Your car is old and you don't have the maintenance logs, there could be more than one worn component.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts