Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently bought a 2006 530i with a manual transmission.. Runs great had no issues the first day.. On my way home from work I was making a U turn in front of my house and I accidentally stalled in 1st. (Still getting used to the clutch) So I turned my key back like if I was turning the car off and I tried to fire it up again but all I heard was a click in the driver side engine bay/ firewall area.. First thing I thought was my battery might have died. So I had a buddy come over to jump start the car. We tried jumping it and the same thing happened. Just a quiet click.

Well after sweating a thousand bullets I figured I could push start it since my car was on a slope. I put it in reverse popped the clutch and the car turned on. I figured I would drive it for a while on the freeway in case the battery needed to be charged. The car drove like a champ with no problems but when I turned it off and tried turning it back on nothing happened.

There are no warning lights on the dash and the car runs great when I push start it. I feel like the starter maybe got stuck when I stalled it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks my bimmer friends.!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My engine cuts out and i hear the same exact click from under the glove box. I wonder if they're related somehow.

Mine only happens when its cold in the morning. I replaced the fuel pump relay without any luck. Hope you fix yours, i think we might have the same problem and mine is on its way out.

2004 530i

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Bad starter motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My engine cuts out and i hear the same exact click from under the glove box. I wonder if they're related somehow.

Mine only happens when its cold in the morning. I replaced the fuel pump relay without any luck. Hope you fix yours, i think we might have the same problem and mine is on its way out.

2004 530i
I hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key.. Seems like that might not be my problem. But then again. Im not 100% sure. :(

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Im new to working on bmw's.. But is the starter and the starter motor the same thing.? Or in the same location.? Im at work now so I wasn't able to further search this.. Thanks for the help bud.
Yes

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It sounds like a bad starter to me, too. It is a bear of a job on the N52 engine that requires the removal of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a bad starter to me, too. It is a bear of a job on the N52 engine that requires the removal of the intake manifold.
Ok cool. Thanks alot. I've been searching around and yes it indeed sounds like its the starter. I'm heading to my mechanic in a few to drop off my car. Its such a bummer considering I just bought the car 2 days ago.. Anyway. Anything in specific that you have to do after installing a new starter.?

I was told you have to dial/ program in a battery once you replace it. Would replacing a starter need a process done after being installed?. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cool. Thanks alot. I've been searching around and yes it indeed sounds like its the starter. I'm heading to my mechanic in a few to drop off my car. Its such a bummer considering I just bought the car 2 days ago.. Anyway. Anything in specific that you have to do after installing a new starter.?

I was told you have to dial/ program in a battery once you replace it. Would replacing a starter need a process done after being installed?. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

No, believe it or not you can just swap out the starter and not have to code anything.

Did you buy the car from a dealer? Is there any kind of warranty (30-day/3,000 mile) on the car's major components?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, believe it or not you can just swap out the starter and not have to code anything.

Did you buy the car from a dealer? Is there any kind of warranty (30-day/3,000 mile) on the car's major components?
Thanks a lot bud. I bought the car off craigslist.. 2nd owner - 152,xxx miles always garage kept for $6500.. The car is beautiful. I did feel the starter a little slugish when I turned it on. So most likely it was already on the way out. I had my mechanic replace the starter for $200. Which I thought was super cheap considering that the manifold had to be removed. Now it turns on like a charm. Thanks.!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts