BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone, i have a 530i and i cut out both of the resonators under the car and i have an aftermarket muffler at the end so it is straight pipes from the cat in the front all the way to the muffler. i want to get and mtech bumper and have the quad tips at the back with no muffler just like this guy has this video. i think it looks awsome and sounds really good but i was wondering everyones thoughts on it and how i would have to run the pipes and mabey an estimate on cost for the piping. thanks for your time:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Pipes are generally inexpensive. No way to know how much, nor how to run them without it up on a rack at the shop. You need to contact and take it a local muffler shop to know. They'll want to look at it (typically for free), before giving you any quotes.

Usually several options and they would be able to suggest the best way to route the pipes when it's up on the rack and you both are looking at it. It's not complicated, but needs a visual inspection first. Depends on the size of the pipes too: 2", 2.5" or 3" dia. Also, if you want stainless or mild steel. I would suggest stainless, unless you think you may change again in the near future. I've done many custom exhaust set-ups for all my cars over the years. They're all different.

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
You will have to cut the rear tire well if you want to go dual exit. Single exit is easier, all you need is the mtech bumper and the single exit trim panel. But you might as well go with the mtech front bumper too, or else it will look funny.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Problem here with a true dual setup is the spare wheel bay.

You have three options. Cut into the wheel bay and make a tunnel for the pipe. It may be pricey due to the custom fab work unless you do it yourself but will get you a true dual setup.
An example
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1735448-97-e39-dual-exhaust

Second will be to get a dual fake tip muffler. Basically a normal double tip muffler with an extended bracket that runs behind the bumper to a pair of fake tips. Someone does sell a similar setup but with a functional tip. Don't know how well it does to really divert the sound to the second pair of tips
http://marsperformance.com.au/attachments/images/EXHAUST/BMW/E39-M5-L6-MF-S.jpg

And third option is to ****ing ignore the spare wheel bay and just run a pipe there. It will increase ground clearance and you may tear it off on a bump but hey if all the cool kids do it anyway why the hell not, right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem here with a true dual setup is the spare wheel bay.

You have three options. Cut into the wheel bay and make a tunnel for the pipe. It may be pricey due to the custom fab work unless you do it yourself but will get you a true dual setup.
An example
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1735448-97-e39-dual-exhaust

Second will be to get a dual fake tip muffler. Basically a normal double tip muffler with an extended bracket that runs behind the bumper to a pair of fake tips. Someone does sell a similar setup but with a functional tip. Don't know how well it does to really divert the sound to the second pair of tips
http://marsperformance.com.au/attachments/images/EXHAUST/BMW/E39-M5-L6-MF-S.jpg

And third option is to ****ing ignore the spare wheel bay and just run a pipe there. It will increase ground clearance and you may tear it off on a bump but hey if all the cool kids do it anyway why the hell not, right?
your the man thanks:thumbup:

·
Registered
725 Posts
You will have to cut the rear tire well if you want to go dual exit. Single exit is easier, all you need is the mtech bumper and the single exit trim panel. But you might as well go with the mtech front bumper too, or else it will look funny.
Also, with a straight six, using a single, with 3" tubing, would sound better than a dual exhaust on a straight six. You may want to see if there are clips of both on You Tube.

The duals on the straight six don't sound right. Maybe it's me, but it's not going to sound anything like a V8 with duals.

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
whats up everyone, i have a 530i and i cut out both of the resonators under the car and i have an aftermarket muffler at the end so it is straight pipes from the cat in the front all the way to the muffler. i want to get and mtech bumper and have the quad tips at the back with no muffler just like this guy has this video. i think it looks awsome and sounds really good but i was wondering everyones thoughts on it and how i would have to run the pipes and mabey an estimate on cost for the piping. thanks for your time:)
That car in the video you linked sounds like crap. I'd hate to hear what it sounds like under load driving. Raspy, resonance, drone... I would get a headache listening to that for more than 60 seconds. Its loud and obnoxious. Leave that for the Honda crowd.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That car in the video you linked sounds like crap. I'd hate to hear what it sounds like under load driving. Raspy, resonance, drone... I would get a headache listening to that for more than 60 seconds. Its loud and obnoxious. Leave that for the Honda crowd.
I agree. That's what I was getting at when I suggested going with a 3", single pipe, which is considered large. It would give you depth in tone and a deeper sounding exhaust. Trying to run what amounts to a fake dual set up, is very Honda-ish and would sound terrible. Not a deep, powerful sound. A weak, off sounding, exhaust system. Exhaust systems work off the expelled gas pulses. That would negate proper extraction of the exhaust gases. That car NEEDS a single set up.

Straight sixes weren't meant to run duals, never. And a fake dual set up is, well, just lame. I've had a lot of experience with exhaust mods and have an idea of what works. As an example I say look to the Twin Turbo Supra. They ALL run large singles with a straight six for best performance.

If you take away all of the back pressure in your exhaust, I think you said you removed the resonator, if you did, that wasn't the best move. Adding a dual exhaust will further your loss of low end torque and will be very noticeable. That car cannot afford to lose torque as it is. If you run only a straight pipe from the cat back, you may lose 30lbs of torque in that car. :tsk:

The Magnaflow and all of the after market set-ups are all singles for a reason. You'll regret trying to run duals on a straight six. If it was a large V6, OK. The only BMW's that run dual are the V8's. I wrote all of this to try and keep you from making an expensive mistake. In the end, it's your car, your money. :wow:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. That's what I was getting at when I suggested going with a 3", single pipe, which is considered large. It would give you depth in tone and a deeper sounding exhaust. Trying to run what amounts to a fake dual set up, is very Honda-ish and would sound terrible. Not a deep, powerful sound. A weak, off sounding, exhaust system. Exhaust systems work off the expelled gas pulses. That would negate proper extraction of the exhaust gases. That car NEEDS a single set up.

Straight sixes weren't meant to run duals, never. And a fake dual set up is, well, just lame. I've had a lot of experience with exhaust mods and have an idea of what works. As an example I say look to the Twin Turbo Supra. They ALL run large singles with a straight six for best performance.

If you take away all of the back pressure in your exhaust, I think you said you removed the resonator, if you did, that wasn't the best move. Adding a dual exhaust will further your loss of low end torque and will be very noticeable. That car cannot afford to lose torque as it is. If you run only a straight pipe from the cat back, you may lose 30lbs of torque in that car. :tsk:

The Magnaflow and all of the after market set-ups are all singles for a reason. You'll regret trying to run duals on a straight six. If it was a large V6, OK. The only BMW's that run dual are the V8's. I wrote all of this to try and keep you from making an expensive mistake. In the end, it's your car, your money. :wow:
thanks for all the information really appreciate it. i might just go with the single tip diffuser m tech bumper and just take out the muffler i have now and put just a dual tip there since i want a little more sound

·
Registered
725 Posts
thanks for all the information really appreciate it. i might just go with the single tip diffuser m tech bumper and just take out the muffler i have now and put just a dual tip there since i want a little more sound
Sure, no problem. I've had a number of cars, (all modded), to have high HP, like the ones I have in my signature and in my "garage" on this site. I bought them new since the mid-90's. They were all modded, especially the exhaust systems.

Anyway, as far as the dual tip, you can get just a tip that has a dual outlet, which really won't change the sound much, if at all. They also make dual tips with a "resonator" in them to add sound, more of a tuned, deeper note, what I think you're after.

Here's a good place to start your search. I think what you want is a "resonator tip", which come either as a single and dual outlet. It will add the sound you're after.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dual+exhaust+tip+with+resonator

Borla, Pacesetter and a bunch of others make quality tips. A good distributor is "Auto Anything." This is a good link to learn about the tips and how they work. I suggest reading it before you go shopping. That way you'll have a better idea of what to look for and want: http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/50A29A169A1.aspx
The picture shows a dual exhaust at the top, but that doesn't mean anything, just read the article, which is about resonator tips, how they work, etc. Great info!!

There's a bit more to this than most people realize, if they've not had experience with exhaust systems already. Hope this helps. At least it's a good starting point! Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Lol 540 you haven't seen the header/cat setup on the 6s.

They are definition of exhaust flow restriction.
On these engines if you were to go full straight you'll lose around 10-15ftlbs torque in the low rpm range but will get a slight gain on the top end. It's a win/lose situation.

Want a nice deep sound. Ditch the stock headers for a set of ebay headers. Even on the stock exhaust setup it will give you a deep growl + BMW rasp when redlining. T

·
Registered
725 Posts

On these engines if you were to go full straight you'll lose around 10-15ftlbs torque in the low rpm range but will get a slight gain on the top end. It's a win/lose situation.

Want a nice deep sound. Ditch the stock headers for a set of ebay headers. Even on the stock exhaust setup it will give you a deep growl + BMW rasp when redlining.

I'm not sure the OP had questions about headers yet, could be wrong. Headers definetely change and add to the sound of the exhaust system. I'm very familiar though with how exhaust systems work, exhaust scavenging, equal length headers and losing torque down low when restriction is less and gaining HP in the upper end of RPM's.

This was something I experienced on more than one vehicle. Lastly on my GTO. Cheap headers can also bite back. If they rust, crack, separate from the flange, etc. A decent set should be coated also to help with longevity, rust and heat control under the hood. They can be wrapped to help with heat, but this can shorten the life on a cheap set too.

I have titanium-ceramic coated headers on my GTO and Corvette from ARH. It was worth it to me to spend a little more upfront and not have to replace them in two years. I'm not familiar with the headers you're speaking of though. Maybe they're good?? They can always be added. 99% of cars will need a good tune too, if headers are added. A good tuner is usually ~$500. If you're not experienced with the process, some shops over charge for the installation too, IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure, no problem. I've had a number of cars, (all modded), to have high HP, like the ones I have in my signature and in my "garage" on this site. I bought them new since the mid-90's. They were all modded, especially the exhaust systems.

Anyway, as far as the dual tip, you can get just a tip that has a dual outlet, which really won't change the sound much, if at all. They also make dual tips with a "resonator" in them to add sound, more of a tuned, deeper note, what I think you're after.

Here's a good place to start your search. I think what you want is a "resonator tip", which come either as a single and dual outlet. It will add the sound you're after.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dual+exhaust+tip+with+resonator

Borla, Pacesetter and a bunch of others make quality tips. A good distributor is "Auto Anything." This is a good link to learn about the tips and how they work. I suggest reading it before you go shopping. That way you'll have a better idea of what to look for and want: http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/50A29A169A1.aspx
The picture shows a dual exhaust at the top, but that doesn't mean anything, just read the article, which is about resonator tips, how they work, etc. Great info!!

There's a bit more to this than most people realize, if they've not had experience with exhaust systems already. Hope this helps. At least it's a good starting point! Let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E38...ash=item2c71a57745:g:hEMAAOxyUrZSrgrt&vxp=mtr this is the exact muffler i have on now, do you think if i went with the tips your talking about it will be louder/sound nicer?

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts

Want a nice deep sound. Ditch the stock headers for a set of ebay headers. Even on the stock exhaust setup it will give you a deep growl + BMW rasp when redlining.

I'm not sure the OP had questions about headers yet, could be wrong. Headers definetely change and add to the sound of the exhaust system. I'm very familiar though with how exhaust systems work, exhaust scavenging, equal length headers and losing torque down low when restriction is less and gaining HP in the upper end of RPM's.

This was something I experienced on more than one vehicle. Lastly on my GTO. Cheap headers can also bite back. If they rust, crack, separate from the flange, etc. A decent set should be coated also to help with longevity, rust and heat control under the hood. They can be wrapped to help with heat, but this can shorten the life on a cheap set too.

I have titanium-ceramic coated headers on my GTO and Corvette from ARH. It was worth it to me to spend a little more upfront and not have to replace them in two years. I'm not familiar with the headers you're speaking of though. Maybe they're good?? They can always be added. 99% of cars will need a good tune too, if headers are added. A good tuner is usually ~$500. If you're not experienced with the process, some shops over charge for the installation too, IMO.
No he didn't mention it. But worth a mention. A very common in mod on the e46 chassis. 100 bucks and from china but the only complaints I've managed to find on them is that one of the headers need to be bent a tad so it can easily mate up with the existing exhaust. Of course it's wise to get them coated and you'll need some other things but that for a different topic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E38...ash=item2c71a57745:g:hEMAAOxyUrZSrgrt&vxp=mtr this is the exact muffler i have on now, do you think if i went with the tips your talking about it will be louder/sound nicer?
Is that a straight thru muffler? Or is it chambered? If it's a chambered muffler a pipe from the resonator back with tips alone will give you a gain.

Does it sound nice? Check YouTube. There are hundred of diffrent vids of different exhaust setups. Don't just search for e39 530s. Also search for the 525, 528, 523 and same for the e46 cars.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It's getting a little confusing I'm sure. From my experiences with headers and friends headers over the past 25+ years, cheap headers end up causinng more problems than they're worth. I've NEVER seen headers for $100! There's no way they'll last. They can't be using good metals, thick wall tubing, thick flanges, equal length tubes and a good collector. It's not possible. It sounds like they don fit right too. If you bend metal, it weakens it. If you heat it and bend it, same thing. There's truly no such thing as GOOD, cheap headers. They don't exist. If they did, everybody would be running them. With all the systems I've done, and with numerous friends cars too, I'm really speaking from first hand knowledge here.

If you really want to go the header route, save some $$'s and get a decent set so they'll last and be worth getting a tune and probably having to pay to have them installed properly. Don't buy headers just because they're $100. You'll need a tune right after you install them too, about $500 is average for a tune. It can be difficult task if you haven't installed headers before. You atleast need a friend that has done it before. It's a two person job anyway, unless you're a pro, with a rack. I've seen guys that know what they're doing have trouble trying to install and even more so with out being able to use a lift. So for a tune and installation, my experience with all my cars, at least ten, my friends in the GTO & Corvette Clubs, it's an average of about $1,000 for both install & tune. Headers are something you really shouldn't cheap out on. You don't have to get top of the line, but something with at least a warranty or built to last. I can promise $100 headers will split, get holes near the exhaust ports, rust and fall apart within a couple of years. It happens invariably with cheap headers. I've seen it happen half a dozen times in person with my friends. I see a big red flag with these. No disrespect Barracuz. Coating for a decent set of headers is more than $100, or get stainless steel.

Do up your exhaust first. Then if you decide you can't live without headers, go ahead and get them. You won't be doing anything backwards either, you'll still have the same exhaust, etc. I think you had a question about the tips? It will sound a bit louder and more of a deep/tuned sound with resonator tips. They can sound pretty good on an inline six too. For me, I don't want a BMW that's too loud either. Entering Honda territory, lol! You could go straight pipe and just put resonator tips on, with no muffler. That will give you the most sound. If you add a muffler, something like a Magnaflow, Borla, etc., which has baffles, it will also add a deep sound. They're more $$'s than tips, but no biggie. I'd skip the resonator tips if you're going to use a good "performance muffler." Just get tips, without the resonator, sort of overkill to do both and may not sound that great. Make sure you read the link I included about resonator tips too! That will answer some of your questions for sure.

Honestly, this sounds like your first car that you're doing some mods to. I think it's a fair statement to say that you may not get it right, what you want sound wise, the first time. There's a learning curve and the unknown, which is how it will sound when it's actually on your car. It's OK to make mistakes and change the system. Just try and minimize how many times (money), you might have to spend to get it just the way you want it to sound. There's a chance you may get it right the first time, but in all my years with mine and my friends cars, that's not the way it usually goes down. Just know that going in.

Maybe start with just a 3" striaght pipe and resonator tips. If that doesn't do it for you get a muffler or muffler system. Then when you get the sound right where you want it, go ahead and add in a set of headers if you want. They will basically amplify the sound you end up with and add a deeper tone yet.

Here's an example of reasonbly priced, quality headers
. I'd truly put the on my car, but they're quite a bit more for a V8 Take a look: http://www.racdyn-usa.com/mm5/merch...Store_Code=1&gclid=CPbs1aSzt80CFVKDfgodAhYGiA

The one above is truly a quality header. Made of stainless steel (won't rust) for one. Thick flanges and tubing, etc. Rust is a huge problem with cheap headers made of cheap, thin, mild steel and left professionally uncoated. This is something you want to do right the FIRST time.
"Developed in Germany by a leading tuner and are manufactured of out heavy gauge T304 stainless steel for long life." That's what you want.

Also here for more options: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=headers+for+bmw+530i

Hope this answers some questions and gives you some good ideas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the info. i cant seem to find a good resonated tip do you think you can tell me some more good companies that make them?

·
Registered
725 Posts
thanks for all the info. i cant seem to find a good resonated tip do you think you can tell me some more good companies that make them?
Sure, no problem. I'm working on something right now, so I'll give you some suggestions in an hour or two, maybe sooner. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts