BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help with this today. Something else I'm working on is taking up my time. I'll look some more and get back to you tomorrow. In the meantime, if it was my car, I really, really like this tip. It's a dual tip and has a resonator. It says sound levels will be determined by the size of the piping, etc.

If you went this route with 3" straight pipe from the resonator on back to this tip, I bet it would be real close to what you want! Besides, it's looks like a BMW tip!! The link to this hot tip is below, with another page to check out the links on. I'm actually in the midst of doing my exhaust on my 540I. I think I'm actually going to get this tip!!

Even with a V8, I'm going with a single, large (3" dia.), pipe from the resonator on back to the tip. It's basically a single from the factory anyway. You won't get much gains from just an exhaust system. You'll get more with a quality set of headers and good exhaust, like I linked to you earlier. Then add a good tune, which is a must with headers. With headers and a good tune, you may see 25-35 HP. That's about the best bang for your buck, without opening up the engine, going with a supercharger, or adding a small nitrous kit, which is on my list.

http://www.protuninglab.com/muf-012.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140894047018
GREAT looking tip!!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=resonator+exhaust+tips+for+BMW+530I
More to peruse...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help with this today. Something else I'm working on is taking up my time. I'll look some more and get back to you tomorrow. In the meantime, if it was my car, I really, really like this tip. It's a dual tip and has a resonator. It says sound levels will be determined by the size of the piping, etc.

If you went this route with 3" straight pipe from the resonator on back to this tip, I bet it would be real close to what you want! Besides, it's looks like a BMW tip!! The link to this hot tip is below, with another page to check out the links on. I'm actually in the midst of doing my exhaust on my 540I. I think I'm actually going to get this tip!!

Even with a V8, I'm going with a single, large (3" dia.), pipe from the resonator on back to the tip. It's basically a single from the factory anyway. You won't get much gains from just an exhaust system. You'll get more with a quality set of headers and good exhaust, like I linked to you earlier. Then add a good tune, which is a must with headers. With headers and a good tune, you may see 25-35 HP. That's about the best bang for your buck, without opening up the engine, going with a supercharger, or adding a small nitrous kit, which is on my list.

http://www.protuninglab.com/muf-012.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140894047018
GREAT looking tip!!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=resonator+exhaust+tips+for+BMW+530I
More to peruse...
ohhh i thought you were talking about something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-Unive...ash=item3f5dbe4888:g:7KMAAOSwPhdU2Lfq&vxp=mtr i have one of the ones that you said youre getting and i was under the impression if i took that off and put one of these tips on i would have more sound what do you think?

·
Registered
725 Posts
ohhh i thought you were talking about something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-Unive...ash=item3f5dbe4888:g:7KMAAOSwPhdU2Lfq&vxp=mtr i have one of the ones that you said youre getting and i was under the impression if i took that off and put one of these tips on i would have more sound what do you think?
If the tip you have now has a resonator in it now, you will not get any louder with the Borla tip. If what you have is just a tip, straight through and no resonator, then you'll get more volume with both the Borla and the one I linked to you already. They both have resonators in them. You need to know what you have now and, if it has a resonator in it to know the answer to your question. I'm logging off now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Were you able to find out if you have just tips, or tips with a resonator inside. If they're adding to the exhaust note, then you have resonators. If that's the case, from one resonator to another, you won't get much more sound, just sound different. They're all about the same loudness. There's just not much to them, just being tips and all. You also should be able to look inside them with a flashlight and be able to tell if they're just straight through open tips, or if the have anyhting that resembles baffles with small holes, etc.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have my very favorite mufflers. They're called SpinTech. I have them on my 600HP GTO and they sound great. Very deep, so deep that I set off car alarms all the time and without being super loud, but loud enough. I get compliments on them all the time. They're one of the lowest back pressure and lowest restriction of any other type of muffler. They're used mostly in racing and you probably haven't heard of them. Quote from site: "SPINTECH mufflers because of their outstanding flow rates with surprisingly moderate, yet aggressive tone. The typical chambered muffler ie. Flowmaster, or common turbo muffler will have flow rates 25 to 60% less than our mufflers" Here's three sound clips, no BMW's though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqfIBLHBrRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWalKMmsMo
http://truestreetcars.com/forums/pics-videos/15831-spintech-super-pro-streets-sound-clip.html
The clips above are all V8's, unfortunately, no inline 6's. These are pretty aggressive SpinTech's, too much for the BMW probably, BUT read my next paragraph about them and what to look at for choice of model SpinTech for the BMW.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/ This is the SpinTech site. Poke around in here, but first look on the menu, click on "MUFFLERS" towards the upper left. Then click on "STREET MUFFLERS". Take a look at the "Pro Street 6000" They are designed for European Imports. Read the description. I think you'd really like the agressive sound, but not over the top, like some of the SpinTechs would be on a BMW. Also, look at the flow chart at the bottom of the page on the Pro Street 6000. You'll see how well they flow against Magnaflow, etc.

If you decide to go the muffler route, this is a VERY good option. You may need help ordering them, which I can do. They don't go by year, make, model car. They go by size of the case, which is better anyway since you want to make sure you get the right size. You can order them with a single inlet and a duel outlet too. Perfect for adding just a tip on them, but with no resonator! You won't need or want one with these! Let me know if you have any questions about them. I've ordered from them several times. It's all I run anymore. The Pro Street 6000's are what I'm going to be using on my 540I. BTW, I may run a dual set up since it's a V8, but no decided yet. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Were you able to find out if you have just tips, or tips with a resonator inside. If they're adding to the exhaust note, then you have resonators. If that's the case, from one resonator to another, you won't get much more sound, just sound different. They're all about the same loudness. There's just not much to them, just being tips and all. You also should be able to look inside them with a flashlight and be able to tell if they're just straight through open tips, or if the have anyhting that resembles baffles with small holes, etc.
its straight through with resonator around it just like the one you linked me

·
Registered
725 Posts
its straight through with resonator around it just like the one you linked me
Ok, well now that we know that, you won't get any more sound from adding a different resonated tip, just a different tone.

If you want more sound / volume, my suggestion would be to remove the entire muffler assembly and leave the resonator in place, at least for now. Run a 3" straight pipe from the resonator back to the tip you have now. Do you still have the muffler in place???

I'm suggesting leaving the resonator for now, so that you keep your low end grunt / torque, where most of your driving is probably done. That adds to the fun factor. If you always rev the crap out of your car, which isn't a good idea anyway, you may not miss the resonator added low end torque.

Please let me know if you still have the muffler in place. Then I can make a recommendation from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok, well now that we know that, you won't get any more sound from adding a different resonated tip, just a different tone.

If you want more sound / volume, my suggestion would be to remove the entire muffler assembly and leave the resonator in place, at least for now. Run a 3" straight pipe from the resonator back to the tip you have now. Do you still have the muffler in place???

I'm suggesting leaving the resonator for now, so that you keep your low end grunt / torque, where most of your driving is probably done. That adds to the fun factor. If you always rev the crap out of your car, which isn't a good idea anyway, you may not miss the resonator added low end torque.

Please let me know if you still have the muffler in place. Then I can make a recommendation from there. Thanks.
well the resonator/muffler has a 2.5 inlet. i may just go the header route

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

but if i get new haders they dont have a cat in them so will i have check engine and pass inspection?

·
Registered
725 Posts
but if i get new haders they dont have a cat in them so will i have check engine and pass inspection?
That's fine. Headers can be a good bang for your buck mod, if done correctly. First and foremost, depending on where you live, it sounds like they have inspections and emissions testing to pass smog to be able to register your car every year.

The typical scenario is something like this. You pull your car in, they visually inspect it first. They'll put it up on a rack and check to make sure you have proper CATS and NO headers. If you do, it's an immediate failure, you won't pass smog until you correct the violations. Take off the headers and have the proper, functioning CATS in place.

I lived in CA for most of my life and they're super strict: no headers, must have CATS. No exceptions. Period. So, if your state & county is anything like that, headers are not an option. You cannot install them on your car.

So headers may not be an option for you. What state and county do you live in? I'll check on a couple of things for you before we go any farther down this road. If it turns out you can get headers, you need to be aware of some things, but I'll save that for later, when we know the situation. Let me know what I asked. Thanks. :dunno:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That's fine. Headers can be a good bang for your buck mod, if done correctly. First and foremost, depending on where you live, it sounds like they have inspections and emissions testing to pass smog to be able to register your car every year.

The typical scenario is something like this. You pull your car in, they visually inspect it first. They'll put it up on a rack and check to make sure you have proper CATS and NO headers. If you do, it's an immediate failure, you won't pass smog until you correct the violations. Take off the headers and have the proper, functioning CATS in place.

I lived in CA for most of my life and they're super strict: no headers, must have CATS. No exceptions. Period. So, if your state & county is anything like that, headers are not an option. You cannot install them on your car.

So headers may not be an option for you. What state and county do you live in? I'll check on a couple of things for you before we go any farther down this road. If it turns out you can get headers, you need to be aware of some things, but I'll save that for later, when we know the situation. Let me know what I asked. Thanks. :dunno:
i live in mahopac NY:thumbup:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts