BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i bought a BMW not too long ago in beautiful condition, fixed a few things regarding fuel systems then when tbe car actually was able to turn on. It doesmt wamt to go forward amd i got a transprogram message on the dash, i know zip about BMW's. If i floor it in amy gear except park the car wont go forward but will go backwards even in drive. I got a new DME relay and DME module but needs to be programmed to this car apparently and to this transmission and all that ****, im a Honda head, so if anyone can give me advice on fixing it so i can sell it id really appreciate it. So again.

NO FORWARD MOVEMENT ONLY REVERSE. EVEN IN DRIVE AND NEUTRAL. CAN SOMEONE COME OUT AND TAKE A LOOK AT THIS PREFERABLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEYRE DOING WITH A SCANNING TOOL AND HAS HISTORY WITH BMWS PLEASE AND THANK YOU I can treat you to lunch for your.troubles. thank you again guys my instagram is darydude incase im not on here for replies

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Where are you located? The Yukon? Patagonia?

Drain the tranny, drop the pan (even a Honda guy should be able to handle that) and look for metal chunks. If you don't find any, the trans may be salvageable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES A REPLY. I'm in New Jersey Essex County. And thats a good idea will do. Maybe my Neanderthal Honda friends can help me too

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I believe your car has a ZF 5hp18 transmission. There should be a plate on the passenger side of the trans case identifying it as such. The BMW part designation is A5S 310Z.

Here's a link to a troubleshooting guide: http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/E38_Automatic_Transmission_Faults.pdf Basically, the recommended repairs for conditions like you describe are almost all "troubleshoot valve body" or "exchange transmission." If you have busted drive parts, some debris should show up in the bottom of the pan. If not, you might try swapping in a rebuilt valve body, although a rebuilt will run several hundred dollars.

Good luck! Let us know what you find in the pan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts