BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
people here seemed to have DIY'ed many 528i's but not many 530i's. At what mileage and age is it recommended for the 530i. I have 76,101 meticulously maintaned miles. :D

·
BMW Nuthead
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mis-spelled seals..I am tired and ready to go home....

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
I did them on my 525, same exact cylinder head as yours. I did it around 70k miles (have 75 now) and it's done wonders. You should definitely do it, mileage isn't an issue as none of these cars are new anymore.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Brian,

I believe you are due. My 00 528 with 79k had the cold idle hiccups in a bad way. Seems that some of the others that reside in the South where temps are normally warm do not get the bad effects as quick or noticeable. My car has lived in the northwest for its life, where it is relitively cool other than the summer. Either way, I'd do it in the near future so you never have to experience the idle/stalling/cold start trouble. Who knows, it might feel a bit peppier after the swap! Good luck, Mike

·
Registered
473 Posts
Replaced the VANOS seals in my 2003 530 at 63K miles (the car is still under CPO warranty) and it was well worth it. Idle is quiter, smoother, acceleration is better, more linear power band, and the performance is DEFINITELY noticeably better! The car revs happier, throttle response is better, and power delivery is smoother at every point of the RPM range. I did it and never looked back. Go for it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
You should definitely do it!

Very low cost for such a HUGE benefit!

I have heard that the vanos seals fail around 20k miles.

Every modern bimmer has the faulty/ defective seals in them.

It should be a recall item, in my opinion.

·
Meeeeowwww
246 Posts
Which is the best seal for the 530 I was thinking along of doing this to my car as well when I do the coolant overhaul

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Which is the best seal for the 530 I was thinking along of doing this to my car as well when I do the coolant overhaul
Really, the only seals are the ones from Rajae. You can't buy just the seals from BMW, you have to buy the whole VANOS for ~$1,500. Whenever you see people discussing VANOS seals, they're referring to these:

http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
$60 for the seals.
$35-45 for all the gaskets

Plus, if you buy any of the optional rubber grommet washers, or clips, etc.

Check out the repair part list.
Raj has all the part numbers and list costs laid out.
You may have to buy a 32mm wrench or go online get the fan clutch flat wrench.

I bought all of the parts, including the optional ones, because I wanted to replace as much as I could, plus, it wasn't that much more.
I also bought the (2) extra vanos piston screw bolts (left handed).
They are easy to strip.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

Parts, Tools, and Shop Supplies

Vanos piston seals repair kit (BS001) $60/each (www.beisansystems.com), vanos gasket (11-36-1-433-817) 6.73/each, 2 x vanos oil hose/pipe washer (32-41-1-093-596) $.25/each

E39: Small adjustable hose clamp. Needed if radiator overflow hose OEM clamp not previously replaced with adjustable clamp.

Optional Parts

M52TU & M54:
Valve cover gasket replacement parts: valve cover gasket set (< 09/02 11-12-9-070-990, >= 09/02 11-12-0-030-496) $34.26/each, 15 x valve cover bolt grommet (11-12-1-437-395) $1.73/each, oil fill neck gasket (11-12-7-526-447) 2.29/each
Easily breakable parts: 2 x vanos piston bolt (11-36-1-748-745) $1.42/each, 4 x cover bolt/nut cap (11-12-1-726-089) 3.27/each, (E39 2 x, E46 1 x) fan shroud rivet (17-11-1-712-963) $.27/each
Easily lost parts: 4 x engine cover pad (11-12-1-730-352) $1.98/each

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
PJ,
how much total did you spend to do your seals? Wanna help me do mine? :D
I believe I spent, $65 for the seals, and less than $10 for the VANOS gasket and washers. I had just had my valve cover gasket changed so I was able to reuse it. Additionally, I spent $40 in special tools and materials like RTV sealant, coolant, oil, Brakleen, PB Blaster, shop towels, etc., which can all be used again. I helped la528it change his VANOS seals, and it took us a little less than 5 hours. I can totally help you out. Let's talk this Saturday at the meet! Really, once it's done it's not that intimidating.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Thought about it all day and the only thing I could come up with Brian is --go for it
you'll be kicking yourself later for not doing the seal change earlier.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Thought about it all day and the only thing I could come up with Brian is --go for it
you'll be kicking yourself later for not doing the seal change earlier.
It's ok!

Your still the vanos man!

Also, I recommend draining the engine block, and flushing the cooling system, if not replacing most of the cooling system, depending on how old you cooling system is.

Plus, use PB blast on the 32mm fan nut, let it sit, then try taking it off.

My cooling system was very brittle after 80k miles.
Hence, that is why made the sentence about the overflow hos clamp bold in my previous post, because my overflow hose nosel exploded while I tried taking off the original metal hose clamp.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used the 32mm wrench and sledge hammer to take my fan clutch off... no need for the water pump holding tool... worked perfect with 2 hard hits.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know imSuper late with this, but do any of you guys stay in los angeles(wish I could move closer to poolman) lol & wanna help me with this?.. im a newb in need of training .. -____- valve cover gasket ccv oil filter gasket & vanos seals.. :/

·
Registered
41 Posts
OKAY do I found valve cover gasket set and new ccv. Now im on the site that Jason 5 put the link to for vanos seal repair kits & tools but I don't know exactly what stuff I'll need to do this on my 03 530I. Someone help?.. please?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts