Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WILL BE BUYING A 530XI AND LIVE IN ARURAL AREA. I LIKE TO DRIVE. QUESTION-SHOULD I GET THE MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION? :confused:

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,014 Posts
Welcome- please don't use all caps!

If you like to drive and you are a purist, get the manual. Test drive both a manual and automatic, that will help you make up your mind. Its really a matter of personal preference and who else may be driving your car- for example if you have a family member who would be driving it and who can't/doesn't prefer to drive stick...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why Not Caps? I`m looking for a more technical answer ie: the 3 series is lighter the 5 series is heavier. Will I be rowing thru the gears too much?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If you like driving stick AND everyone who may need to drive your car can drive stick (i.e. your wife if you are married) then get the stick. You live in a rural area so traffic should not be an issue.

I switched to auto because my wife can't drive stick. Living in the NYC area lessened the blow.

·
Registered
427 Posts
FREDJOYCE said:
I WILL BE BUYING A 530XI AND LIVE IN ARURAL AREA. I LIKE TO DRIVE. QUESTION-SHOULD I GET THE MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION? :confused:
If you like to do your own driving and want the control, get a manual.

If you are concerned about traction in your rural area, the xi is a good choice.

If you are concerned about the weight gain with the xi, it is only a couple hundred pounds at most. If that weight concerns you, then perhaps just a 530i would work, but equip it with dedicated snow tires in the winter months. I know people in the northeast with 530 and 545i's running snows (Blizzak last I heard) and have had no problems. If the snow is that deep or ice that thick, I'm taking my Jeep anyway. :)

Ultimately, only YOU can decide which you want to get. Drive both in an environment you'd normally handle and see if the xi's weight gain is worth it to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts