BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 530xi E61, 120K miles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 530xi wagon has a lot of static in the fm reception. When I get closer to a strong station it clears up; or when I shut off the engine the static clears up. Could this be a noise filter? I've checked the diversity antenna module and it looks tight, dry and clean.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,859 Posts
Wagon commonly suffers from cracked insulation and/or wiring in the rear hatch.

Many threads on this. Also see "So You Just Bought an E60" under the sticky topic "New Here? Read this First!".

·
Registered
958 Posts
I agree with twh - it sure sounds like the typical wiring problems that the wagons develop at the hinges. The symptoms all fit a problem with wiring - OR with the antenna / amp (which are also subject to water damage). Low signal strength to the stereo allow random RF (Radio Frequency) noise to overcome the FM station's signal. And our cars - and our accessories such as cellphones and chargers - develop a LOT of RF interference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wagon commonly suffers from cracked insulation and/or wiring in the rear hatch.

Many threads on this. Also see "So You Just Bought an E60" under the sticky topic "New Here? Read this First!".
Yea, I've read them all, but wiring is repaired already and if I'm sitting in my driveway and turn off the engine the radio static disappears, even if I then open and close the glass hatch and/or the whole hatch no noise. It's a mystery...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with twh - it sure sounds like the typical wiring problems that the wagons develop at the hinges. The symptoms all fit a problem with wiring - OR with the antenna / amp (which are also subject to water damage). Low signal strength to the stereo allow random RF (Radio Frequency) noise to overcome the FM station's signal. And our cars - and our accessories such as cellphones and chargers - develop a LOT of RF interference.
I installed a back up camera that uses RF to send video to the screen I sit on the dash. When I put the car in reverse, which turns on the back up camera I get more static, so I know about the sensitivity of our cars to RF. Just can't figure out why everyone I know gets way better FM reception then I do, even with 2001 to 2010 cars. And me too, with the engine not running.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,859 Posts
Yea, I've read them all, but wiring is repaired already and if I'm sitting in my driveway and turn off the engine the radio static disappears, even if I then open and close the glass hatch and/or the whole hatch no noise. It's a mystery...
That definitely seems to be engine noise related. Have a look at the attached PDF - perhaps the noise filter has been messed with or is bad...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
More than likely, the coaxial cable on the left side of the hatch is damaged. The braid may be broken but connects when you move the hatch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That definitely seems to be engine noise related. Have a look at the attached PDF - perhaps the noise filter has been messed with or is bad...
Thanks so much! This looks like the likely next step. You're all in the will...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm going to suggest a different direction. Look for weak or broken ground straps between the engine and the chassis up front. A poor ground to the hood can cause engine noise too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to suggest a different direction. Look for weak or broken ground straps between the engine and the chassis up front. A poor ground to the hood can cause engine noise too.
Hmmm, interesting, will definitely look at that. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts