BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all newbie here.
2014 F10 535D 150k mile (im in CA, so no emission mods).
my DPF is in need to be replaced , i ordered and will have installed next weeek.
i did took it out cleaned (pressure washer
, water +soap,degreaser etc) it but no luck my CE light is back on.
today i got a new warning: "NOx incorrect exhaust fluid . no start in 200 miles".
my DEF was filled 5k ( i belive there is pleanty more its last about 12-13K) miles ago and i use the same brand for the last 110k miles.

is it bad reading due to back pressure?bad KOx?
TIA
Ron

20210615_120433.jpg
20210615_121416.jpg

20210607_124802.jpg 20210607_180116.jpg 20210607_180022.jpg

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
1. The ecu doesnt SENSE a clogged DPF, and then tell you it need replacing...and if you replace it or clean it the sensors automatically reset. I believe you needed to reset that DPF life warning. Did yopu use ISTA+ to reset?

2. Your DEF injection nozzle may be fouled...clean with hot water as I recall?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. The ecu doesnt SENSE a clogged DPF, and then tell you it need replacing...and if you replace it or clean it the sensors automatically reset. I believe you needed to reset that DPF life warning. Did yopu use ISTA+ to reset?

2. Your DEF injection nozzle may be fouled...clean with hot water as I recall?
Thank you for a quick answer.
My technician reset the CE light.
ISTA?
When i cleaned it , the sensors were out. Tap water.
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im going to do the ISTA reset by Saturday.
No other day available.
Thank you

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,138 Posts
Wrong DEF Fluid will not create an issue with the DPF, those typically last well over 150,000 miles. With Covid many have had issues due short stints causing it to be difficult for a solid DPF Highway auto burn. A manual burn is possible using various Coding tools. DPF’s are cleaned out by extreme heat, nothing else works well.

I had many times wrong DEF Fluid and Defect warnings. Never really found out the cause, suspect old Fluid but who knows. I now fill only with known fresh and properly cool stored fluid (it does have a shelf life contrary to some beliefs) and only fill 1.5 Gallons max at a time. No issues since 75,000 miles this way.

Also, especially in CA there should be a special extended warranty on Emission related systems like DPF and DEF so check that out if you can get any coverage via your BMW Dealer.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,200 Posts
I had many times wrong DEF Fluid and Defect warnings.
How have you cured your bad DEF warnings, please. I am at 105K+ miles and have not had one yet.

Bad DEF is a conclusion based on injection of known quantity of presumed good DEF with no proper change in observed exhaust gas chemistry. There is no DEF condition sensor.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,138 Posts
Hi Doug, nice to hear from you !

So, when my 535XD had about 20,000 Miles it started.

First “Wrong Fluid” and then occasionally “AdBlu System Defect”. CEL then after some time always on. This went on for about another 20,000 Miles on and off. I was Driving a lot back then, about 30,000 Miles a year in big stints throughout Europe.

- Dealer always topped off DEF at every inspection for a 4x price than at a Gas Station !

- I noticed a lot of White Flakey material (dried DEF) around the Filler Cap

- Filler Cap didn’t have a very tight Gasket so I installed a thin Silicon Gasket that I had in my Plumbing repair kit. It’s still installed.

- Dealer reportedly did all kinds of tests and loaded new SW as per BMW recommendations - no help

- Supposedly no sensors changed or anything else done

- Since then I only fill up DEF myself with known good Fluid and then only max 5 Liters / 1.5 Gallons at a time when near empty

Discussion;

I see a lot of Gas Stations that have DEF in Jugs 5 or 10 Liters sitting out in the Sun, also sometimes with that white flakey material around the Cap.

I now buy only at an Auto Supply Store where it is stored inside and cool, also look for the manufacture date that is fairly recent.

Since doing it this way I have had zero warnings (over 75K Miles since then).

It could of course be coincidence but I’ll continue this way…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all newbie here.
2014 F10 535D 150k mile (im in CA, so no emission mods).
my DPF is in need to be replaced , i ordered and will have installed next weeek.
i did took it out cleaned (pressure washer
, water +soap,degreaser etc) it but no luck my CE light is back on.
today i got a new warning: "NOx incorrect exhaust fluid . no start in 200 miles".
my DEF was filled 5k ( i belive there is pleanty more its last about 12-13K) miles ago and i use the same brand for the last 110k miles.

is it bad reading due to back pressure?bad KOx?
TIA
Ron

View attachment 1034170 View attachment 1034171
View attachment 1034172 View attachment 1034173 View attachment 1034174
An update,
I took the car to 2 people that have a BMW performance shop,they have the right computer.
That was a msg stage 2, they could not delete this msg, dealer only. Although, they told me it is the NOx sensor.
I told the dealer nothing and they came up with diagnosis NOx sensors.
They had a hard time to program the car to delete this msg, 3 days!!

Thank you all for all the help.
So, 5 days $1900 later but its running smooth .

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
1,138 Posts
California extended emissions warranty did not cover?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts